MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-11-2003, 04:03 PM   #1
87 GT MUSTANG
Registered Member

Thumbs down Ticking noise from under hood

I have had a ticking noise under the hood of my 1995 Mustang GTS for about a month and a half now when i first start the car or when i accelerate. It does not sound like an exhaust leak as i popped the hood and revved the engine. Sounds to me like it is coming from the valve cover on the passenger side. The internals of the engine are all stock with 156,000 KM's. The problem came up after i had my new clutch installed on the vehicle. Could it possibly be a valve or a lifter?, Do these things usually go in 302 engines? What could i do to fix the ticking? Any advice on what this could be?

PLEASE POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION -> -> -> -> <- <- <- <-

Old 03-11-2003, 04:32 PM   #2
Scrapla
Registered Member

Maybe a rocker or rod goin out on ya.

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 06:51 PM   #3
drtbiker
Registered Member

change the oil and see what happens... if it gets quieter then you know it is somthing in the valve train

later
mods: 3:73's, off road h-pipe, b303 cam in gt- 40 motor w/ Power Plus intake, edelbrock 70mm tb & egr spacer, 72mm C&L, bbk long tubes, tremec tranny, centerforce dual friction clutch, upr and lwr CA's 255lph FP and soon more to come.... when i have money again

SOME ADVICE
Don't do burn outs in reverse it is very expensive
New times with dead hook on dr's 13.27@103 with 2.0 60 foots w/100lb system

Fastest time to date: 12.8@113
drtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 11:25 PM   #4
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

If it gets progressively worse, then its probably a rod issue. But it will turn into more of a knock than a ticking noise.

Just to make sure its not a header gasket, cool the car down completely then start it and let it idle while you put your hand around that header to feel for leaks. It wont burn you if you work fast.

If thats not it, the next step would be to remove your upper intake and passenger side valve cover. Check the rockers for excessive play. better yet, go through and re-torque them all in the proper manner.

keep us updated
Old 03-12-2003, 08:17 AM   #5
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

rod problem????? dont think so.

anyways, exhaust leaks are weird like that, they will be louder when the cars cold and also when the motor has load on it.

there is a possibility that it is a rocker arm but you said that it makes noice when you first start it and when accelerating, if it was a lifter it would most likely do it at idle too.

95gt lazer red (98 cobra clone)
Rice Haters Club Member #116
sn95gt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 08:35 AM   #6
Chevysucks
Registered Member

one of your pushrods may be bent. On mine when i bought it some of the pushrods were bent and caused them to be shorter therefore moving up and down between the rockers.
1.7 crane roller rockers/extra hardened pushrods
FRPP X-303 Cam
Stock Intake-1 inch intake spacer
BBK Cold Air Induction
Stock Injectors--going to 24 pounders
BBK Full Length Headers
Mac 2.5 inch Cat-Back
8 Point Cage
Sub Frame Connectors
World Class T-5
Steeda Shift Cable,Quadrant,Firewall adjuster
King Cobra Clutch
Pro 5.0 Shifter
Alunimum Driveshaft/ Drive shaft loop
Kenny Brown suspension
3.55 gears
Chevysucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 09:15 AM   #7
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

OK before you decide its a headers leak or a lifter tick do this. Get a piece of braided fuel line about 2 or so feet long. Place on side to your ear and move the other end around the engine compartment till you hear the ticking noise in your ear via the tube. This should help out tremendously before you start ripping apart the engine if it may be a header gasket.

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 09:32 AM   #8
briand
Registered Member

chances are when the h-pipe was taken off for your clutch change, it was not installed correctly or tightened down enough. it probably has a small leak at the collector. yeah exhaust leaks get loud under load. good luck man
GT-40X heads(58cc), Cobra upper and lower, 75 mm Bullet, Moroso fenderwell induction, FRPP 65mm TB, 24# injectors, black magic electric fan, phenolic spacer, 1.7 crane cobra roller rockers, crane 2031, BBK 1 5/8 equal length hearders, 2.5 inch off road pipe, 2.5 flowmaster catback, FMS 3.55 gears, T5-Z transmission, FRPP aluminum driveshaft, svo heavy duty clutch, mcleod bullet proff bellhousing, BBK adjustable cluth quadrant, hurst billet shifter, lakewood subframes, BBK strut tower brace, BBK 2pt lower cross bar, FMS 190 lph fuel pump, crane ps91 coil, FMS street pulleys, and 300+ race wires. All thanks goes to my wife sheri, jason, jeff, robby, my dad and all others you helped contribute. most importantly GOD!!!
briand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 01:23 PM   #9
stock89
Registered Member

My recommendation is to try the cheap stuff first. I would vote the collector is making the noise. Check the collector bolts on the header because they can loosen if not torqued tight enough when the Hpipe was reinstalled. Then do the hose and listening trick which works great. Then go from there!

Just my .02-
Rob
Old 03-12-2003, 02:56 PM   #10
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

Quote:
Originally posted by stock89
My recommendation is to try the cheap stuff first. I would vote the collector is making the noise. Check the collector bolts on the header because they can loosen if not torqued tight enough when the Hpipe was reinstalled. Then do the hose and listening trick which works great. Then go from there!

Just my .02-
Rob
if it is the collector make sure you tighten them evenly, if you tighten one side all the way and go tighten the other you will have a big exhuast leak. (that may be what happened)

95gt lazer red (98 cobra clone)
Rice Haters Club Member #116
sn95gt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 07:56 PM   #11
dustang90
Registered Member

You might want to try just some fuel injector cleaner. I had a tick problem one time and it was caused by carbon built up on the valve. Just try that and run it for a while then shut it off and start it up again. It might work
Old 03-16-2003, 05:19 AM   #12
Gho$t
Registered Member

Dont know if you've solved your problem but it almost sounds like an exhaust leak coming from where, for me atleast it was the smog tube the has a bolt that goes to the back of you engine block. I had to start my car and try to move this piece around and tighten at the same time till it didnt leak anymore. I wish I could describe it better but I still dont know what the piece is called. May help may not but hopefully it will.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:18 PM   #13
Simi Stang

Default stethoscope

Quote:
Originally posted by HiFlow5 0
OK before you decide its a headers leak or a lifter tick do this. Get a piece of braided fuel line about 2 or so feet long. Place on side to your ear and move the other end around the engine compartment till you hear the ticking noise in your ear via the tube. This should help out tremendously before you start ripping apart the engine if it may be a header gasket.
They have automotive stethoscopes that you could use for this very thing at most tool stores. I got mine for like $5 from Harbor Freight tools.