MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-09-2005, 05:34 PM   #1
Michael Smith
Registered Member

Default Too much crank case pressure?

I am some what sure that I have too much crank case pressure. I got on it today and after the run my dip stick was popped out about an inch. I had noticed in the past that occasionaly the dip stick had moved up a little maybe a 1/4 inch if that. Oil pressure cold is 60psi and around 50psi when warm. When getting on it the pressure will move up to around 62-64psi. Engine has about 600miles on it. New 302 block, I beam rods, new stock crank, new bearings, new melling standard volume oil pump, main girdle, canton 7qt pan, B-cam, Edelbrock performer heads, new lifters, push rods, 1.6 roller rockers, new Explorer intake with PCV, I think the routing of the vacum lines are correct? also have changed the oil 3 times since build last one was about 150miles ago. also started leaking oil either out of rear main or out of back of pan. This car is N/A too. I havent noticed any smoke comming from the exhaust. If I do have too much crank case pressure what are my options to fix this problem. Sorry so long just trying to give you all as much info as possible. thanks all for your time.
mike
Michael Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 07:04 AM   #2
Jeff Chambers

Default Re: Too much crank case pressure?

Oil leak is probably caused by the high crankcase pressure. No doubt, you're getting a substantial amount of blow-by the rings. You could do a leak-down test to verify.

Put a crankcase evacuation system on it. It'll solve your problems plus build you some extra HP.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 04:48 PM   #3
Michael Smith
Registered Member

I will do the leak down test over the weekend and let you now what I get. Also if it turns out to be the rings do you think the rings are bad? They were new along with probe forged pistons when we did the build. If not, what do you recomend for for crank case evacuation? Thanks for the reply Jeff.
mike
Old 02-11-2005, 09:49 AM   #4
Jeff Chambers

It doesn't necessarily mean that the rings are bad. I could be that the end gaps are just filed too large or that they haven't completely seated. It also may be a result of the type of ring used. If you've gone with a small package (.043/.043/3mm) or a super low tension set, this would be expected. Do the leakdown and see if it shows signs of any real problem.

In terms of an evacuation system, you can go cheap or go expensive. A header system probably won't solve your problems but a pump system would. A complete Moroso setup might cost you $700-$800 by the time you buy the pump, pulleys, brackets, hoses, etc. I use an air pump off a late model truck so by the time I bought the hoses, fittings and purge cannister I had about $250 into the system. It pulls a good 10 in-Hg at mid track under heavy load, but I burn up a pump every 30 passes or so (the air pumps aren't meant to spin with a motor at 8500rpm even though I've got it pullied down the pump still sees 5000). Thank heavens that Autozone exchanges them. A good Moroso or similar set though will be trouble free and will pull 14+ in-Hg for maximum HP gain. Don't try to pull too much vacuum though or you'll start affecting your engine oiling.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:26 AM   #5
Michael Smith
Registered Member

Well I did the leakdown test yesterday and this is the results:
cyl 1: 18% 5: 14%
2: 14% 6: 14%
3: 13% 7: 13%
4: 14% 8: 16%
Also when I would listen or feel for air comming from the intake, exhaust, dip stick, or oil fill cap it always came from the oil fill cap in the valve cover for every cylinder so would this be blow-by? I used a snap-on tester and it said no more then a 30% difference in leakdown between the cylinders so am I correct to assume that the #1 cyl is close to this but still within tolerance? What do you think of the numbers for a new built engine with about 500-600miles on it?
The ring set used was a stock replacment moly rings end gap was standard .014-.016 no filing on the ring gap. Well what do you all think? thanks for any input and thanks Jeff for the reply.