MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-31-2001, 12:42 PM   #1
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Question New engine? or rig old one? ARGH lots of posts :)

Well I think its new engine time!

The poor 302 has blown its head gaskets, overheated countless times, valves chatter, and I have blowby with a veangance.

So my question is, since I am in college and don't work and feel like a spoiled brat whining to daddy for a new motor, I wondered if there is any way I can squeeze more life out of it, without wasting too much money.

I was thinking new heads, and fixing some other top end things, but then I would still have my old piston rings, and keep in mind I also want to add aftermarket heads and a mild cam. Should I be worrying about the bottom end with 100k miles on it? When I say heads, I mean like GT40Ps with some port work , nothing major.

The other alternative is building on a 306 block I have, but since I don't know how to do it nor have the tools, time or place, its going to run about $3000 with R&I, cam, new heads and all the other good stuff.

So can I build an almost good as new motor without touching the block, pistons, rings etc?

------------------
Elisha (Mustang Chick Extraordinaire)
1994 GT/Saleen: Cartech intake,4.10s, full exhaust, pulleys, Compucar nitrous kit 125 shot
Sold the 1986 LX sedan
http://www.geocities.com/mustangbelle_306
AOL name: GT306Chick

Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2001, 01:02 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Cool

Tell your daddy a new motor is WAY less expensive than if he would have bought you that BMW.

You should really go through the entire engine. Sounds like you've had a lot more problems with that car than most of us do.

Anyway, before you make any performance modifications you should replace the rings at the very least. Since it's got triple digit mileage on the engine, the bottom end is probably wearing (alhough still good I'm sure), you really should do it all at once, or you'll wind up doing it again too soon down the road.

My advice? Crate motor. You should be able to get a nice one for WAY less than $3k. Plus you should be able to get some cash to apply towards it by selling your old stuff.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2001, 02:31 PM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Lightbulb

My second advice, if you are short on cash, a used 1987-1992 Fox engine. You should be able to pick a good used one up for maybe, $400?

That'll cost you less than a rebuild, way less, and it'll be a better base than the current 5.0 you have for light modding.

I can't believe you've had so many problems with your 5.0? My 87GT was a theft recovery, it was out of tune badly when I got it, and I drive it hard. It's got 145k on it and I just took a custom plated, very clean looking LT-1 Z28. Pretty good too. Probably 3cars to 100+. I've got 2.73's and it didn't even out till I shifted into 4th (he was going to pull me after that and I shut down). I've never had a clack, blown head gasket, or any engine problems.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2001, 04:24 PM   #4
84stangLX

A much better way to go would be to get a rebuilt engine or a good running wrecked car engine. Let's say you put on heads and do things to the top end. How are the bearings? maybe they're scored from getting coolant in them. Maybe the oil passages are plugged w/crap, maybe, maybe, maybe. You're block could be warped....why did it overheat in the first place. Maybe some of the coolant passages are rusted shut from bad previous maintenance. You never know. A rebuilt is the most expensive but likely the most reliable way to go, a junkyard is kind of a toss up, but probably better bet than you're engine, and i'd say a last resort is to use your engine. In my opinion you just don't know what's next with your engine without rebuilding it and assesing what's wrong, but since you don't have the resources to do it keeping the same bottom end sounds like a gamble. I hope this works out for the best for you.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 T5, FMS aluminum radiator & 180* thermostat, 1 5/8 shortys/2.5" duals, '88 GT tail lights and wheels, Holley 4160 4 BBL, smog pump idler, more coming soon
Old 03-31-2001, 05:53 PM   #5
Dark Knight
Registered Member

FWIW, putting good sealing heads on a worn out shortblock will only cause the rings to wear even faster... get a cobra short block from ford for around $1300, and a set of world products iron heads, or a set of used alum ones.. and you could have it done for around 2K ;-)
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote