MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-08-2002, 04:41 PM   #1
Mad Horse
Registered Member

Question Fords Leaning to the left

I know from the 86 Thunderbird I had and the 88 Mustang I currently have that the majority of Ford cars tend to lean to the drivers side. I have heard they do this because it levels out when you take off. Is this correct? I know I definately have more space between the top of the rear right tire and the fender then I do on the left. Just stepping back and looking at the rear you can see the car slants to the left. Is this normal? Can or should it be corrected with a new suspension? Just seems like mine leans more than it should.

Cosmetic Mods: Color change interior & exterior, Cervinis Ram air hood, 16" Ponies, LX Taillights.
"Nip it in the Bud"
Mad Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 04:58 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

This is a new one on me and I suspect it's not valid. Sounds like normal 'sag' that comes with age and weakened springs as well as heavy drivers.

I see no reason why a Ford or any other automobile manufacturer would intentionally build cars that 'lean' to one side, much less allow the condition - if it existed - to go uncorrected for years and over various model lines. Doesn't make sense.

I suspect that the left-side 'lean' is more a result of the driver-side always being occupied - sometimes by hefty individuals - and the battery and steering gear also being on the left side.

You're using 16 and 14-year-old vehicles for this observation and that in itself makes the 'built-in left-side lean' theory plainly unverifiable.
Try installing new springs and I bet the 'problem' will disappear.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 05:11 PM   #3
Mad Horse
Registered Member

I thought the same thing. I couldn't understand why Ford would do such a thing. I guess the years have caused this as I only weigh 175lbs and doubt I would have much effect on it. A new suspension has been in the works for a long time now. Oh to be rich. Thanks.

Cosmetic Mods: Color change interior & exterior, Cervinis Ram air hood, 16" Ponies, LX Taillights.
"Nip it in the Bud"
Old 01-08-2002, 05:53 PM   #4
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Mad Horse, is it just me or have you been gone for a long time? Haven't seen you around here at MW for quite some time.

Anyway, you cannot make a valid extrapolation from only 2 points, that the majority of Fords lean to the left b/c your Thunderbird and Mustang did . Have you checked the frame of your car in the front behind the front left fender, the area where your battery is? It could be rusted through. I am only saying this b/c the last '79 I owned lean to the right in the front and this was b/c it (the frame) had rusted through and broken apart so the front was kinda hanging/leaning. I've owned 4 Mustangs so far and only 1 of them has leaned.

Also, you may just have worn front springs.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 07:20 PM   #5
Mad Horse
Registered Member

Fox Body, it has definately been awhile since I've been on here. I'm in my last semester here at the University of Dayton and my schedule is really packed. Lack of funds have also prevented me from doing anything to my stang. Not to mention I don't have it here at school. I'll try to make it to the board more often and help out all I can.

As for the Stang leaning it isn't just the front. The whole drivers side including front and rear is about an inch lower than the right side.

"Nip it in the Bud"
Old 01-08-2002, 08:06 PM   #6
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Horse
Fox Body, it has definately been awhile since I've been on here. I'm in my last semester here at the University of Dayton and my schedule is really packed. Lack of funds have also prevented me from doing anything to my stang. Not to mention I don't have it here at school. I'll try to make it to the board more often and help out all I can. ...
Now that's more like it. Don't feel like you have to "help out", just stop by everyonce in a while and say hi.

As for the WHOLE car leaning , *snickering* (sorry) I didn't realize. Sounds like a worn springs issue.

BTW, did you ever race your fiancee's trash talkin dad's new stang--- or did he ever get it?
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Old 01-08-2002, 08:54 PM   #7
Mad Horse
Registered Member

Yeah he got it. He bought a 2001 Mustang GT Convertable with the Bullit wheels. Bad news is I had to teach his daughter how to drive stick on my car b4 he would agree to purchase or atleast let her drive it. Talk about hurting on the inside... every stall and grind I almost cried. Since she kept stalling it in 1st (too afraid) I told her if she didn't burn the tires on the next try I was done trying to teach her. Sure enough she got the hang of it after that. After her dad's car was broken in, her and I took it out and I ran it hard. I looked at my girl with a big grin...and said "Man this is nice, but mine is still faster". Even she agreed on this. I know for a fact he is a lot of talk but he won't race it. The car is too good to be raced or so he thinks.

"Nip it in the Bud"
Old 01-08-2002, 11:33 PM   #8
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Cool

Ah ha ha. Cool.

Well, even though he talks a lot, at least he did by the stang.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

Old 01-09-2002, 05:56 AM   #9
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

My former 90 LX leaned bad. I'm a big boy at 240 lbs, but I even replaced the springs and measured the fender gap to find it didn't make any difference at all.

I saw on a web site somewhere a part that goes under the driver side spring to correctly rotate it so it fixes this problem. It was a long time ago when I saw this and I've looked all over for it and can't find it. It mentioned something about most Mustangs and other Ford cars developing a lean toward the driver side. So maybe it is a problem with most Ford cars.

Take a closer look at some of the Mustangs when you drive around. Since noticing mine having a problem I've unintentionally paid more attention to other Stangs to find that a lot of them have the same problem.

Maybe it's not in the springs and is more in all the various bushings and such. Maybe the ones on the driver side are worn more than the passenger side. Or maybe it's from a twisted uni-body?

I'd take the car to a frame or alignment shop and see if they can give you some ideas. When I asked about mine though even the pros didn't have a good answer other than hand over your checkbook
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 01:28 PM   #10
bosco
Registered Member

wish i could help, but mine leans to the right,
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 10:38 PM   #11
Spenc2u
Registered Member

Default Have the same problem with my 92

Redid entire suspension with Tokico Shocks/Struts, Steeda Springs ( put in right, turned in the right position that is) and it's STILL leaning lower on Drivers side???

Replacing Upper and Lower CA's this summer with adjustable MM units... if that doesn't take care of it FAWK IT! This thing costs more than a Heroin addiction!! L!

Good Luck with your rides
Spenc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn1167.jpg (221.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-11-2002, 12:08 AM   #12
Mad Horse
Registered Member

Spenc2U, thanks for the reply... I know I replaced the springs on my t-bird and it didn't do much..it helped but not enough. I nned a whole new suspension anyway so I figure I'll give it a try. How do you like the Tokico shocks and Steeda springs?? Is the ride a little less harsh?? How much did it cost you?? I want to improve handling and the ride quality....looking to go with a set up more for road racing then drag racing. As of now any bump in the road makes my whole front end pogo over it. I wish you luck..Later

"Nip it in the Bud"
Old 01-11-2002, 09:03 AM   #13
Spenc2u
Registered Member

Happy Enough with the springs and shocks I've replaced.... This car is shown and road driven only so I didn't go the Drag Shock/Strut route with it. I do want it to handle like a wild banchee and pull like a RHINO though, so I'm doing the normal engine mods/gearing and maybe a power adder eventually or small NOS shot.

As far as 'did I notice a real improvement' or 'did it take the harshness out of the stock set up?'.. not sure, the guy I got the car from had cut the stock springs to lower the car, when I got it it road like Turtle with workboots( roughest thing I ever set my ars in!).. That soon changed after I got it home.. since then, everything has been changing L!
Old 01-11-2002, 09:46 AM   #14
Mach 1
Registered Member

my mustang leans to one side. I have new springs (aftermarket) and adjustable ride height lower control arms, and I cant adjust them evenly. I have to adjust one side way up and the other way down to get a level looking car, but mine only does it in the back, the front seems level.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 11:16 AM   #15
Scappoose
Registered Member

Mine was low on the left and then one day, 60 miles from home it started making this grinding, rattling noise in the rear. Took it into the nearest Ford dealer where they pulled it apart and the bearing had gone out and ground into the axle (it was a pretty deep groove). They said it looked like the bearing had been out for a while. I asked the tech how it could be out without making any noise, to which he shrugged. I still can't believe it. He said if the previous owner was heavy, the bearings wear out fairly quickly. Maybe they made them better in the 60s. Anyway, $500 later I was on the road and it was level. Maybe coincidence. Unlikely anyone else could have that problem, but you never know. That was my experience with it anyway. It just frosted me to pay them $270 for one axle when I plan on upgrading to the Cobra brakes...and that I could get one for a fraction of the price. But when you're stranded...

69 GT - Winter Blue, 351, C-4, mild mods

69 Mach I - Acapulco Blue, 351, T-10, bone stock
Scappoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 11:57 AM   #16
Spenc2u
Registered Member

Default Scappoose

What exactly are you saying? That sounds serious... and may be what we are all experiencing.

Did a bearing/bushing go out of your stock control arm or are you talking about something different?
Old 01-11-2002, 02:45 PM   #17
Mad Horse
Registered Member

I agree Spenc2u. You think you would hear something. Then again it is a little hard to tell with some of the little creeks and sounds that come with age. Getting subframes helped with the sounds but I still have some when I turn.

I don't know if this is a result of the car leaning to the left but my hatch closes more tightly on the drivers side than the passengers. If you are inside the car and look back you can see a gap on the passengers side. I have the plastic cover on the inside of the hatch currently removed so I can see this better. Again, on the outside the hatch itself leans to the left. With the hatch open it is pretty easy to twist it but I'm afraid to do this as I have had that back window shatter due to either temp. changes or a stress crack in it. I have both of the rubber knobs screwed all the way in so I can shut it as tight as I can but this does nothing for the twist in it. Anyone else experience this or have a fix for it.

"Nip it in the Bud"
Old 01-11-2002, 03:05 PM   #18
BilLster
Registered Member

well as far as manufactures purposely leaning a car my brothers Carrea 4 leans to the right since when he bought it they weighed
him and put the same weight in the drivers seat during alignment

taking a look at this the last time i took my car in for a alignment
i dropped 150 pounds in my car and put it in the drivers seat.
after the alignment it seams to sit better and handle launch a tad better but who's to say how much the weight helped.
Old 01-11-2002, 03:32 PM   #19
Scappoose
Registered Member

It was a bearing that went out. But it was out long enough that it wore a groove in the axle, requiring both to be replaced. What it looked like was the bearing froze and the axle continued turning (how, I don't know). It kept wearing away material until it developed a vibration. That's when I noticed it. I noticed the drop on the left side a couple of months before. No idea how long it was there. I'd only had the car about 4 months. Anyway, I thought it would have made a noise heard over anything.

He did tell me they wear out with big butts in the driver's seat, so it wouldn't hurt to check them out. Both of my '69s have the original and they look perfect. Of course, they do have fewer miles.

69 GT - Winter Blue, 351, C-4, mild mods

69 Mach I - Acapulco Blue, 351, T-10, bone stock
Scappoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 09:12 AM   #20
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I finally found the site I was talking about in my earlier post here. It was on Global West's site. Here is the link
http://www.globalwest.net/mustang%20...%20AND%20REAR:

About half way down they sell the spacers.
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote