MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-03-2001, 09:19 AM   #1
Galligher
Registered Member

Post Is there a Tech in the House?

Having some problems with my near stock 91 LX. It fires in the header (not necessarily a backfire and not really loud) when the car cold at part throttle acceleration or when it's warm on an incline at low RPM (sometimes). I have pulled a code 81 KOEO and codes 12, 44, and 94 for KOER. The smog pump seems hooked up, I wonder if the diverter valve is stuck or if there is a problem with the TAD Soleniod. I have owned the car for 2 months now. It doesn't seem like it has the power it should either. I have replaced O2 sensors since it just may have been rich but it did not really help. I live in a state that does not require smog testing (Indiana) but I am an Environmental Science Major and would have a hard time swallowing it. I am thinking of removing it all and then later when I get some money, putting a new set of good cats on it that do not require air ports.
Thanks,
Brian
Galligher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 05:41 PM   #2
dinomite
The Dude

I believe that all cats require the air that the smog pump provides. In order to actually perform the reaction that they are the catalyst for, more clean oxygen is required, and that is provided by the air pump. Without it, the reaction isn't efficient (stoichiometric ratio is no met, heavy on the exh gas side) and the cats will eventually clog. Can't help you with the backfire though, look at your plugs.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote