MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-04-2001, 12:21 PM   #1
slo95
Registered Member

Post Pinging Quick Fix?

If I am getting what I think is serious engine ping (running 91 octane, 10*), and a bottle of "ping-buster" or whatever the brand may be - helps the problem, what is my long term fix? What are some other causes of ping? I just had the $50 fuel system cleaner done,(3 bottle jiffy lube deal), and cleaned out the IAC. I plan on scrubbing out the EGR today.
slo95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 12:33 PM   #2
Green92LX
Registered Member

Go to a higher octane fuel (93 or 94), and see what happens, maybe run a colder plug

------------------
1992 LX:V-1 S-Trim ,Edelbrock 6037 Heads,Cobra Intake,E-303,1.6 Rollers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP,24 lb injectors,MSD 6A and BTM,BBK equal length shorties,offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers,Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors,Ponies w/ 225/50 Nitto NT 450's on front,255/50 BFG Drags out back,93 Cobra Spoiler
Daily driver 89 Coupe:BBK shorties,offroad,flowturds with dumps,soon to be cyber green
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 01:23 PM   #3
slo95
Registered Member

93 or 94 octane? I can try, but if that is what I need to run a bone stock 95 GT on, it is getting traded in. My question was what can be done to "fix" pinging, not just cover it up with hi dollar gas. OR, is that the only cure?
Old 04-04-2001, 01:52 PM   #4
Skankin
Registered Member

Stock engine? compression?

Maybe it's running rich, or not getting enough spark.

A crane PS91 coil and a good tune-up (distributor cap with brass terminals, decent wires) might do the trick.
Skankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 03:13 PM   #5
Green92LX
Registered Member

Wouldn't it be lean if it is prematurely firing???

------------------
1992 LX:V-1 S-Trim ,Edelbrock 6037 Heads,Cobra Intake,E-303,1.6 Rollers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP,24 lb injectors,MSD 6A and BTM,BBK equal length shorties,offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers,Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors,Ponies w/ 225/50 Nitto NT 450's on front,255/50 BFG Drags out back,93 Cobra Spoiler
Daily driver 89 Coupe:BBK shorties,offroad,flowturds with dumps,soon to be cyber green
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 03:18 PM   #6
slo95
Registered Member

I think it is running lean...but then again, I am by no means a mechanic. I checked the fuel pressure, and it seemed okay, I have like 5 posts going on this thig. What about the TFI module? can that cause poor idle and pinging? Fuel pump? EGR?
Old 04-04-2001, 03:35 PM   #7
Godslayer
Registered Member

So you have poor idling AND pinging or just pinging? How many miles are on it... we need more details. I'd check the computer first. I've seen cars where a sensor tells the computer it is running rich when it's actually perfect and the computer pulls fuel and it goes lean. With no knock sensor, dunno about the 95's, the computer pulls fuel and has no idea what is going on. Always check the computer first, start there and tell us what codes you pull.

------------------
87 GT
Full exhaust, K&N, KB Subs, BBK STB, homeade dumps...

87 Taurus
New York
Winters Bite!

Godslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 03:46 PM   #8
dinomite
The Dude

Ya, could be computer, gotten any check engine light? Might be oxy sensors.....and look at your plugs, see what they say.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 05:43 PM   #9
jimberg
Registered Member

You should deal with one system at a time. Figure out if it's the EGR and then move on if it isn't.

There's no reason you should be pinging with 91 octane at 10* of timing. You, in fact, should be running 87 octane. Anything more is a waste of money and will foul your plugs eventually. Premium is only called that as a marketing trick. It's not cleaner or better gas than 87. It only takes more compression before it spontaneously detonates and burns slower.

What kind of spark plugs are you running?

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 08:09 PM   #10
slo95
Registered Member

jimberg, you have been a big help...thanks.
Here is the deal so far. Cleaned the EGR, fuel system (3 bottle deal), IAC, new FPR, and checked TPS. The idle is now very smooth. I have NO codes, 'cept for once in a while a 628, excessive converter slippage. Had that replaced last week. Got the code again a few days ago.
1995 GT vert aode with 85xxx miles, pulleys, transgo, 373's, autolite 25 and Taylor wires and subframes. New fuel filter, K&N air filter, and fuel pressure looks okay. flushed and fill coolant. One new O2 sensor, cuz Ford broke one during the convertor install (yeah, I know). And thats it. I was at AutoZone yesterday and saw a nice cheat sheet, it has the "no converter lock-up" (excessive slippage?) as a symptom of the EGR gone bad, along with pinging. Well, now that that is cleaned out, we will see. I reset the computer tonight. The pinging is under load like opening it up to merge on hiway, or uphill. And last two tanks have been 89 octane because the previous 4 tanks were hi-test and made no difference.
It is am embarrasing ping, took it to Midas to see if cats were clogged, the guy drove it and said it is some of the WORST pinging he has heard. He seems pretty sharp, directed me to a shop that has all the diagnoses computers, gas analyzers, etc. but $150 a pop to just see what it is? I hope we can figure it out!

[This message has been edited by slo95 (edited 04-04-2001).]
Old 04-04-2001, 08:46 PM   #11
jimberg
Registered Member

Hmm, well let's see what else. Have you replaced your PCV valve recently?

Another shot is that there is something wrong with a single cylinder. You may want to try a cylinder balance test to isolate a bad cylinder if one exists. I'm not sure that this is available in a 95 or not, but my guess is that it is. Run the engine running test. When it is done, tap the throttle and the test will start. The RPMs will go up to about 1800 for a while and then they'll drop. At that point the check engine light will flash either 9 times, which means that everything was okay, or will start flashing out the cylinder numbers. It will go through them twice. If a cylinder fails, you may want to check the injector or spark plug for that cylinder.

If everything is okay with this test, your problem is probably more systemic.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 10:04 PM   #12
95Convert
Registered Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but has it always done this? I ask because I have the same issue with my '95 5-speed. The problem is in the computer for this model year. Seems Ford tinkered with the timing and fuel settings with the computer after the '93 model year. The computer goes too lean under hard excelleration or load. I have been told by several Stangers the only real "fix" is to get an EEC tuner and change the settings to adjust things a little richer under load. All of this was done by Ford to meet stringent emissions requirements.
95Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 08:31 AM   #13
slo95
Registered Member

I think we found it last night...I have NO coolant overflow bottle. The coolant is "overflowing" thru a hose to the ground. No bottle. First owner must have done something, forgot it. I never thought any different, bought the car from a Ford DEALER -and assumed it was all there. I just thought mustangs had some sort of built in deal for overflow. Wrong. Anyway, engine ice cold this morning, I knew I shouldn't, but got on it right from the start. Ran great, no ping. This afternoon, I bet it is there, as it gets warmer out. Not enough coolant in the radiator, but just enough to not overheat. Anyway, I have the bottle on order, I will let you know.