MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-07-2001, 04:42 PM   #1
HKstang
Registered Member

Exclamation URGENT!!car won't start (quite long)

I really need some advice on this. Last night, I went to start the car and it fired up but would die right away. It did this 3 times in a row. Finally, it stayed running. It ran OK for a while until I dropped it into second and floored it. the car almost stalled on me and when I lifted and got back on it, it was fine.

About five minutes after that, I shut it off for the night. This morning, the car would crank but it wouldn't fire up. I've spent hours trying to figure out what's wrong but I still can't figure it out.
Here's what I've found out: the fuel pump is coming on, I have fuel pressure(how much I don't know), my coil is sparking, my coil wire is fine, I've changed the cap and rotor already, my distributor shaft is turning, I even took out my computer in case it had gotten wet and dried it with a hair drier.

I have a full tank of gas so its not that (though I wish it was). The wires are only a few months old and so is the fuel filter.

Sorry this is so long but I just wanted to list what I've found so far. Thank you in advance.

Geoff

HKstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 04:55 PM   #2
93CobraR
Registered Member

The plugs are probably fouled. Also check the TFI unit on the disributer.

------------------
87 GT, 4 inch cowl hood,17x9 Cobra R's/255/45's,GT-40 heads,long tubes headers,h-pipe,Flows,BBK cold air, Mass air,70mm MAF, 1.7's, 1" spacer,underdrive pulleys,Pro 5.0, King Cobra, Adj. fuel Reg., Lakewood Lift Bars,50/50's,subframes, 4.10's.
Best time 12.96
Best MPH 103.42
Best 60' 1.695

Visit my site at:
http://www.geocities.com/cobrar93_2000/MyPage.html

93CobraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 05:53 PM   #3
jimberg
Registered Member

I don't even know what year car you have, but I'll take a stab at it.

Your EGR valve may be stuck open. I'd pull that off and clean it thoroughly.

Your IAC may be stuck close. Will it start if you hold the accelerator down?

What's your oil level at? If it got too low, oil could blow by the piston and foul the air charge temperature sensor ( 87-93 Mustang ).

Is your full tank of gas, good gas? It's possible you could have gotten a bad batch.

Hopfully it's not one of the trickier components of the distributor. I know you checked for spark at the coil, but do you have it at the plugs?

You may want to check fuel pressure. The pump may be pumping but you're not getting any fuel. Could be a clogged fuel filter.

You better not have an alarm system that you forgot to mention.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 06:22 PM   #4
HKstang
Registered Member

Oh yeah my alarm! No just kidding Sorry, I forgot to mention what year car it was. Its an 89.

I checked the plugs too, they weren't fouled though I only checked one. Should I be checking all of them? My friend filled up at the same time I did so I don't think its the gas.

What's the TFI unit on the distributor?

I'll try cleaning the EGR and try flooring it to start. Let's hope it works.

thanks guys.

Geoff
Old 04-07-2001, 06:24 PM   #5
HKstang
Registered Member

Where's the air charge temperature sensor because I have a code for that.
Old 04-07-2001, 06:56 PM   #6
dinomite
The Dude

Like jimberg said, you could have bad gas. That would be one of the first things that I would check, but probably the last I would think of. Go to the store and get some gas dryer with isopropyl alcohol in it, the good stuf is in a red bottle, with long neck, I think its called Dri Gas. Anything with isopropyl should do though.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 10:21 PM   #7
jimberg
Registered Member

The ACT sensor is right in front of injector #5 on the driver side up by the distributor. It has a single wire going to it. If you have a code, I think that is probably your problem.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 01:40 PM   #8
HKstang
Registered Member

Sorry guys, I started a new post but you probably didn't know what I was talking about.

My car started this morning first crank and I didn't do anything to it. I didn't have a chance to try anything because it was at a friends house.

I'm still worried about it though because I don't want it to die on me again. Does anyone know what this could be?

Also, how do I clear all my previous engine codes?

Geoff