MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-20-2002, 11:35 PM   #1
native2america
Registered Member

Question bet you dont know..AODE

:confused:
I have the 94 5.0 GT with the AODE trans. It NEVER slipped. It jumped out of gear and would rev up, but didnt slip. Also, it sometimes "locks up" so tightly in Reverse, it cant be moved. Even if you slip it in neutral it neutral. I saw one posting here that was having the same problem and looks like they might have given up and bought a Bronco. dang, please help. Im open for any suggestions or feedback.
Thanks, I love the site.
native2america
native2america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 12:33 AM   #2
Mach 1
Registered Member

Yeah, your confused all right.

Try reposting that question in some kind of understandable english, and maybe we can help you.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 12:50 AM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Sounds like a torque converter issue to me. Could be a valve body problem too.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 02:03 AM   #4
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

Have you checked your fluid lately? Whats it look like in color?

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 08:31 AM   #5
native2america
Registered Member

Default Re: bet you dont know..AODE

Quote:
Originally posted by native2america

I have the 94 5.0 GT with the AODE trans. It NEVER slipped. It jumped out of gear and would rev up, but didnt slip. Also, it sometimes "locks up" so tightly in Reverse, it cant be moved. Even if you slip it in neutral it neutral. I saw one posting here that was having the same problem and looks like they might have given up and bought a Bronco. dang, please help. Im open for any suggestions or feedback.
Thanks, I love the site.
native2america
Hello, and Thanks for the replies.
ok, in english...
My AODE has never slipped. It jumps completely out of gear. The motor REVS and it only jumps out for a couple seconds. When it goes back in gear...the torque skids the whole car around.(very dangerously) Also, I can drive around the block, stop the car, and when I try to put it in Reverse..it is locked in gear and wont move. The first time it locked in gear, I thought I hit a car backing up, thats how hard it engaged. Someone said this was the locking torque converter.
I have checked the fluid, that all checks out alright and doesnt smell burned. I changed the fluid and filter and it made no difference whatsoever. There was a little sludge in the pan near the magnet but nothing looked bad enough for that to be the problem.

I am thinking that it could be a module or something that effects both the way it shifts AND the torque converter. Is there something called an EEC that is inside the transmission that anyone knows of? I was told a module inside the vaulve body could be the problem.
ALSO....does anyone know if ANY other automatic will fit this car or not?
Thanks to all
native2america
(a lady in distress)
Old 04-21-2002, 10:59 AM   #6
Mach 1
Registered Member

Sounds like its low on fluid level when you describe it "revving" and then jumping into gear. That is the same as "slipping". Its not engaged, then it engages quickly, its slipping momentarily, which can be caused by incorrect fluid level as one thing.

Im not familiar with the electronic controls of the AODE. I suppose it could be a soleniod.

The converter shouldnt "lock up" in reverse.

There are many transmissions that will fit your car, including the AOD and the C-4. You will have to change torque converters if you change to an AOD, and you will need a TV cable, and the c-4 will require crossmember modifications. Anything else you put in other than an AODE wont be a simple bolt in.

The AODE is a good tranny, you should just fix it.

Is it doing this all the time?

I suggest you take it to a tranny shop, or call someone familiar with AODE's. Try www.baumannengineering.com

Also, you can pull the valve body yourself and inspect it for obviuos problems like sticking valves, broken wires on the solenoids, sticking manual valve body, proper tourqe on the install, proper installation, etc...

The valve body can be inspected and removed from the car without removing the transmission from the vehicle.

If your not comfortable with this, take it to somebody ASAP, before you do more damage.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 11:45 AM   #7
native2america
Registered Member

Default Thanks

I appreciate the replies. I was sufring around a few minutes after I posted and believe I found the problem. It was the computer "thingy" inside the tranny.It shows to go to the solenoid but the site said it first needs to be re-wired. Before I actually install the part, I will seek more advice about this process. It says to modify this part so the problem wont happen again. It said that the crown vic was an AODE also (and a couple others) I prefer to stay all original if I can. This car has never been worked on and I hate disassemly of factory installed parts. I think they are never as snug as they were originally.
Also, I dont think it was ever low on fluid at any point. It always read full anyway.
Im going out here to drop the pan and see what I can see. I am wondering too if a wire may be loose or something obvious.
Yes, the car runs still and it does it every time. I havent driven it in a year. I know its broke and dont think driving it will help the car....
It is a great yard ornament for 350 a month. way better than that pond we put in. Nobodys ever asked " hey- how much for that pond you have there"
Thanks. Carolyn