MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-15-2002, 10:38 PM   #21
scale
Registered Member

Talk about time consuming!!! Wow...i have started sanding.....thought i was finished but after i started polishing i still noticed some deeper scratches so its back to the drawing board....hehe.

I couldnt find any 600 grit anywhere but i did get 400. Do you know where i could pick some up?

thanks again...back to standing.
1991 LX coupe,AOD, red, 80k, K&N, MAC cat back, MAC off-road X, Autometer Gauges, BBK Ceramic unequals, fully polished upper intake, fuel rails, and egr, working on installing.....MM full length subs, H&R sport springs, MM Lower control arms, MM caster camber plates, bilstein shocks, struts.
scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 01:20 AM   #22
89lxstang
Registered Member

I get all my sand paper at Home Depot along with my dremel bits. It's a lot of work but like I said just take your time and make sure you get the surface nice and smooth. I just finished sanding my altenator tonight (600 grit and 1 1/2 hours).....hopefully by tomorrow I can start polishing.
89lxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 11:52 PM   #23
scale
Registered Member

how did that alt. turn out? That had to be some major sanding time! I have been working on my egr spacer forever! I am getting the hang of it now though and i did end up finding some 600 grit. After the 600 grit i am using extremely fine steel wool and then polishing after that. It is turning out pretty damn good...of course there is always room for improvment. Did you find any clear coat or anything to cover it up once it is finished? I seen some clear coat this weekend that was a high temp (engine temp) clear coat. I dont know how good clear coat would look on aluminum but i know that something should be put over the freshly sanded and polished metal...it will just get all crappy if you dont.

Let me know if you find anything.
1991 LX coupe,AOD, red, 80k, K&N, MAC cat back, MAC off-road X, Autometer Gauges, BBK Ceramic unequals, fully polished upper intake, fuel rails, and egr, working on installing.....MM full length subs, H&R sport springs, MM Lower control arms, MM caster camber plates, bilstein shocks, struts.
scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 02:10 AM   #24
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Default polish...

I couldn't help noticing ya'll talking about the pieces rusting. Aluminum should not ever rust. If you have polished the piece, you should be able to just use Mothers polish or something similar to protect it. I have polished a few parts and they still look perfect. They do make a clearcoat because some polished wheels require no polishing, and they are aluminum. Good luck. It is all worth the work to me. All your friends will hate you for being so detailed with your engine. HA HA! Gotta work to look good. Unless your loaded.
Old 04-22-2002, 11:57 AM   #25
Jacsracing
Registered Member

Check out Eastwood's products. They specialize in products for finishing and polishing.
Jacsracing is offline   Reply With Quote