MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-02-2002, 11:54 AM   #1
Severisth
Registered Member

Default New intake sitting too low, exposing the exhaust port!

I just bolted up a ported stock intake, and it is exposing the EGR port on the stock heads, which makes me think it is sitting too low. What could be causing this?

So far, I have ruled out the following:
1. Intake milled. The gentleman I bought it from guarantees it hasn't been milled.
2. Gaskets wrong. He used it with 1250 Fel-pros, which are stock thickness. I put some 351 gaskets on it, which should be the same thickness.
3. Gakets slipped. When I installed the lower, I threaded in some studs on all four corners and set the gaskets down on the studs, then the intake. This should rule out movement of the gasket.

Any other ideas? I'm desperate here, FFW is this weekend
Severisth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 12:44 PM   #2
USMC302
Registered Member

Did you buy the intake from this guy or get it ported from him, just a shot in the dark but if he sold it to you, there were different cars that came with the 5.0 intake, The thunderbird, I even think the crown vicoria had it a couple years, anyway, i don't know how different the heads are on these different cars but maybe it matches up to one of those and isn't from a stang. Like I said just a shot in the dark but if I had to guess....
What kind of intake did you have on it before? Compare the two and try to find a difference. You should try calling Ford and asking them if there was a different design of the 5.0 HO intakes. Good luck
Old 05-02-2002, 12:49 PM   #3
Severisth
Registered Member

Thanks for the ideas!!
He had it on a stang. Not sure what year.

I had a factory intake on it before, which had actually never been removed until I pulled it off. I'll try to find out what year his car was to see if there are any differences.
Old 05-02-2002, 12:53 PM   #4
USMC302
Registered Member

No prob, I do think all of the stangs were interchangable though. If it came from a stang you shouldn't really have any probs, maybe the 86(1st EFI) was different a little. Maybe that is why he sold it to you, it didn't fit his......good luck though.
Old 05-02-2002, 12:57 PM   #5
Severisth
Registered Member

I'll make it fit somehow! Even if I have to mill my heads and change my plans for piston compression I'll make it fit!

Just looking for ideas to figure out if it could be an install issue.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:40 PM   #6
Severisth
Registered Member

Turns out it was just some sort of empty casting boss. It was chugging because of a vacuum issue.