MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-01-2001, 11:31 AM   #1
South Dakota 5.0
Registered Member

Angry Dogs out on a right turn....................

1986 GT Conv. Put in a new fuel pump last fall and pretty much parked it right away (darn snow!). Got it out and about and cuts out and sputters after taking a right turn only. I know that the bracket holding the pump in place was pretty loose, almost looked like it had been spot welded. I know that I had the pump not quite in right at first because of the power wire was grounding out(hot, smokey wire) and had to pull the pump out and orientate it on the bracket. Seemed to work fine then and put the car away. I am thinking there must be some movement in the fuel pump assembly that is causing this sputter only when i make a right turn. If I go into a parking lot and go in a right circle without staying on the gas a bit it will die. After going on a right turn, and staying on the gas, and get on it, there is a bit of hesitation. Would hooking up a fuel pressure meter and driving it be the first move or would you guys go the the junk yard and replace the possibly offending equipment? Sorry to sound like such a dumb-*** . Thanks guys! Up here in SD you only get so long to drive a car like this and I would like to enjoy every minute!
South Dakota 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 12:09 PM   #2
gofastlx
Registered Member

Does it do it with a full tank? The stock fuel tank is notorious for having the "sump plates, or baffles for a better term" break loose. Thereby allowing the pump to become uncovered...

Rob
gofastlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 12:57 PM   #3
82 GT
Import Slayer

I have this same problem!! It only does it when I am low on fuel. When I fill the tank it stops doing it for awhile until it runs low again.
My fuel gauge doesn't work, so I only know how much gas I have left by looking at the trip odometer that I reset at fill-ups.
When it starts "dogging" around corners, I use that as my low fuel indicator(LOL)
Gofastlx is probably correct when he says the fuel pump is becoming uncovered.

------------------
'82 GT 351W C-4,BBK headers,Carter 625 carb,Comp.Cam,Flowmaster exhaust.
1988 GT...T-5,bone stock
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 06:21 PM   #4
South Dakota 5.0
Registered Member

Sounds like a good possibility about the baffles and it makes sense with the pump on the right side and when I go right the gas gets sloshed to the left leaving the pump "high and dry". I suppose I will replace the bracket and look at the baffles and also keep the tank topped off! Thanks! I will listen to anyone else's opinion.........
South Dakota 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote