MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-14-2002, 08:46 AM   #1
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

Default Black Magic Fan

Well, it finally came in. I ordered it last Tuesday evening, and 6 days later on a 3 day UPS ground delivery, it's here. I dropped that sucker in, and took it for a test drive last night. I thought that I had wired it wrong because the temp gauge was over half way and it still hadn't turned on. I get home, all ticked off, and then I realized that I forgot to back the adjustable thermo down at the desired temp... . I drove to work this morning and the temp barely went over 1/4 hot, but wouldn't you know it, we're in a cool spell w/ temps at a very fresh and cool 85 F. Still, I have a lot of confidence in this fan...I can feel the power that's been freed up, and I had to let off the gas to keep from spinning out in 2nd gear taking a rolling corner ! I have a feeling that my next investment is going to have to be a new set of rear tires... Simple hardware installation, but I've always hated crimping and running wires. Oh well, at least the kit is complete, and that made the wiring tolerable...

Much gratitude to all those that offered input and advice. It was all good!!!

Next two mods are shorty headers and 3.55's. Hopefully by the end of summer. Any advice for after those next two steps. I'd like to keep her a daily driver. I don't want to lose mpg's.

Oh, current mods on 92 GT:
Removed air silencer (your tips)
K&N box filter (your guidance)
Removed Cats
3 row radiator 80/20 mix + water wetter
180 F. thermostat (your tips)
Black Magic fan (your guidance)
Auto specialties Crank/H20 pulleys
Bypassed smog pump(your tips)
Trying to get hold of timing light to advance timing to 14*

Last edited by Falcons Talon; 05-14-2002 at 08:59 AM..
Falcons Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 10:32 AM   #2
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

those seem like a simple drop in unit but if that doesnt cut it in the summer then drop in a v-6 torus/sable, SN-95 or lincoln fan and never worry about getting hot again

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 05:45 PM   #3
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

I had a bad experience with that electric fan. I lost a set of bearings due to the amount of heat I generated in my brand new engine and almost warped my heads coming across town when I was done with the car. That's why I still haven't seen the strip.

Luckily, a good friend and all around great guy Chris (PKRWUD)helped me out and together we figured out that the 351 is too big to be cooled by that fan. I also have a Fluidyne radiator and still had big problems with that fan. Wasn't fun but a hell of a learning experience.
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 09:42 PM   #4
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

Falcons, i dont know why these guys say they had problems, they had either a defected one, or just didnt wire it right, how much did you pay for it?

mine has been running good for 2 years, I felt the gain also, and my car actually picked up 3mph in the 1/4, but because the clutch fan was probaly bad
My dad had to help me wire it, i hesitated on cutting into the a/c wire, but it was all worth it,

yea we actually had a cold front come in here too, my car felt more powerful, and ran cooler today, down to 85 degrees out here is good for me....glad you like the fan.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 10:55 PM   #5
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Quote:
Luckily, a good friend and all around great guy Chris (PKRWUD)helped me out and together we figured out that the 351 is too big to be cooled by that fan.
Probaly should've went with a dual fan set-up. What did you end up doing to solve the problem?
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 07:30 AM   #6
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

I have the same fan, and I think it's a good investment. Good to hear that all went well for ya.
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 08:46 AM   #7
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

Quote:
Originally posted by Coupe5oh
Falcons, i dont know why these guys say they had problems, they had either a defected one, or just didnt wire it right, how much did you pay for it?

mine has been running good for 2 years, I felt the gain also, and my car actually picked up 3mph in the 1/4, but because the clutch fan was probaly bad
My dad had to help me wire it, i hesitated on cutting into the a/c wire, but it was all worth it,

yea we actually had a cold front come in here too, my car felt more powerful, and ran cooler today, down to 85 degrees out here is good for me....glad you like the fan.
I paid $219.95 w/ shipping and handling from mustangsunlimited online. I did the wiring myself, and I've got to tell you, when I first looked at the bag of wires, I was a little intimidated. Geting that 12v wire to the fuse box had me a little puzzled, but I think I was just tired. It was 10:30 pm when I was trying to figure out how to get that wire into the interior of the car. At that point, I just wanted to finish and give her a test drive, so I didn't hesitate clipping into the a/c wire.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:50 AM   #8
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

I had to go back to the original type setup with a Flex fan on the engine and a radiator shroud. Instantly I noticed the difference.

And no I didn't wire it wrong (for whoever said that) . I even went as far as to call the people and they said that it was "my fault for buying a fan that is for a 302". They said that their fans were not designed for a built 351, they were designed for engines that produced under 350HP and no larger than 306 cubes
Quote:
Originally posted by 1BAD89

Probaly should've went with a dual fan set-up. What did you end up doing to solve the problem?
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 03:28 PM   #9
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

Angry

******! Battery didn't turn the car over this a.m. Ebay has 130v alternators for $100.00
Old 05-16-2002, 10:38 PM   #10
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

sorry stang rotty, i didnt read the part where you said 351? i can see why now,

anyway, falcons, i dont see why you went to the fuse box? i dont recall doing that? but its been a while, i just wired from an ignition source i believe. btw, 219$ is a good deal.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer

mph- 99.92 mph
Old 05-16-2002, 11:08 PM   #11
rbatson

I have a griffin rad and a black magic fan(both installed at the same time). After installed, my car started running sooo hot I had to pull off the road, it was boiling over. After alot of investigation and head scratching we noticed the fan was spinning the wrong way!! It was blowing the engine heat into the radiator!! It wasn't the wiring to the car.. It was the wiring inside the fan itself!! We took it apart and switched one wire and PRESTO it was spinning the right way The car stays cooler now but I had to buy a 130 alt(yet to be installed). If I wanna drive the mustang somewhere, I charge the battery up overnight first.

Funny thing is... I bought the fan for $100 from a guy that said the fan wasn't worth a crap
Old 05-17-2002, 09:32 AM   #12
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

Quote:
Originally posted by Coupe5oh

...falcons, i dont see why you went to the fuse box? i dont recall doing that? but its been a while, i just wired from an ignition source i believe.
The instructions had one hot wire hooked to a high amp source (battery/alt) w/ the inline fuse, and one hot wire hooked up to an ignition source and it suggested the fuse box. I wanted the fan to run after the engine was shut off, so I hooked it to my #16 fuse. In retrospect, I'm sure that didn't help my battery drain problem at all. When I reinsstall after I bump my alt, what would be a good ignition source to hook too?
Old 05-17-2002, 10:04 AM   #13
avbcon12
Registered Member

let me get this right...you WANT the fan to run after the car is shut off?
if so, wire the "switched" lead in with the constant power lead.

if you want the fan to go off when the car does, wire the "switched" lead into the middle wire on the coolant overflow sending unit...

take care,
adam
ported GT-40 heads w/ 1.7RR, Cobra intake w/ ported lower, 24# injectors, 190LPH pump, 75mm Pro-M MAF, 65mm TB, K&N panel, BBK long tubes, Off road H-pipe, 2 ch. Flowmaster, Black magic fan, Kirban FPR, 180 deg. T-stat, 3.73's, Steeda Tri-Ax, 130 amp alt. Accell 8.8 race wires/cap/rotor, motorcraft plugs, Factory Five suspension, etc etc etc....

http://avbcon12.stangnet.com
avbcon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 12:40 PM   #14
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

Lemme check where i got it hooked up, i just have it to where i can turn my key, (engine off) and it comes on, if the stat is adjusted, and i wait until it cools enough to make another pass.

Think its tapped into a 12v source near the solenoid or coil, just use a voltmeter to find the hot wire when the key is turned.

mph- 99.92 mph