MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-02-2001, 09:46 PM   #1
slo95
Registered Member

Post code 628 - Excessive converter slippage???

I have an AODE, and am getting the 628 code again, excessive converter slippage...What would cause this? I had (month ago) a new torque converter installed, and am getting the code again. I have read that some GM cars have some sort of converter control solenoid that controls the lock up of the converter (mine not locking up, hence, slippage). Do we have something like that? Maybe mine is bad? And the converter is good? I am sure problems in the tranny is affecting mpg and idle, among other things (pinging-making a lot of drag on the engine?) and would love to get this fixed...
AND the manuals are pretty vague on the tranny section
slo95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 10:12 PM   #2
jimberg
Registered Member

Maybe you need to replace your computer at this point. Has the dealership tested the computer to make sure that it isn't causing the pinging and falsely reporting this converter slippage problem?

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 08:24 AM   #3
slo95
Registered Member

But why does it only do it after maybe 20 min of driving?
I am not sure what they have done to the car as far as testing. I brought it back in yesterday so we shall see what the mechanics will find this time.
I know they are sick of me suggesting to them what to fix, but if they can't do it...

[This message has been edited by slo95 (edited 05-03-2001).]
Old 05-03-2001, 04:35 PM   #4
slo95
Registered Member

unreal. the dealership insists that it is the transgo shift kit that is causing the pinging, convertor slippage, and idle problems. can you believe it.

well, I have a car for sale. I can't throw any more money at it.
Old 05-04-2001, 10:12 AM   #5
jimberg
Registered Member

Slo, if this is the dealership that sold you the car, with the TransGo kit, they have to fix it. If they don't, check out what your lemon laws are in your state. How long have you had the car?

------------------
Old 05-04-2001, 10:39 AM   #6
slo95
Registered Member

thanks jim...but I am on a new deal now. I called my warranty provider and they had me take it to a tranny shop (Aamco or Mr transmission). Said the dealer should have done the TCC solenoid and rebuilt some of the other things in the tranny at the time of the converter install. The warranty place told me this! A guy here emailed me last night with some great stuff to look for, so I am starting over. Cutting my losses.
Once I got the go-ahead from my warranty place to go somewhere else, I have new hope. My dealer is very bad, I hate to say it, but it is a fact. The service department is a "part exchanger" They seem to swap parts until the problem is fixed - at the customers expense.
The manager of the tranny place this morning had some great insight into the AODE Ford tranny, saying he has worked on quite a few. He discussed with me the correct procedure to change out a torque converter, and amazingly enough it sounded just like what the warranty place told me. Mr. Transmission (national chain) has it right now. I will know something after lunch.
All my troubles can/seem to be tranny related - poor mpg, pinging, tranny slipping, surges, stalls at stop lights.

Sad part is, with the money already invested in "searching" for the problem, I could have bought a new tranny of my choice (up to about $2800. me and warranty money)
Old 05-04-2001, 07:57 PM   #7
jimberg
Registered Member

Glad to hear that you are able to go to a different service provider. Hopefully they'll actually fix it for you. Good luck. What's the name of the dealer? Maybe you can save someone the trouble of going to them for service.

------------------
Old 05-05-2001, 01:18 PM   #8
slo95
Registered Member

Talking

Not to name names, but if you live in Columbia, MO, you will know who they are. Small town, and only Ford dealer here.
The tranny shop called Friday afternoon, said I definitely have transmission issues. (they see about a dozen AODE a year) They will have it done by Wednesday next week. Monday I get the list of problems, so I will post then. Guy even said I could WATCH the rebuild!! do you believe it? a mech. asking me to watch?
needless to say, I like mustangs again !!!