MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-16-2002, 03:00 PM   #21
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I don't have an adjustable fuel pressure reg. yet, but I'm trying to think a little further down the road. I know that I will have to upgrade my fuel system when I get my car where I want it to be, but I don't wan't to have to buy a bunch of "in between" parts.

For some reason I have heard bad things about 24# injectors and MAF's so I was thinking about the 30#'s. I know it may be more fuel than I need, but If I were to add a low pressure blower or power adder after my combo I would probably still be ok.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 04:46 PM   #22
HORSEMEN RACING
Registered Member

Thumbs up Not a Bad Start

95Mustang,
that would not be a bad ideal really to get the fuel system first,that way it will keep your spending in check. For example with what I plan on doing is going 255 in-tank fuel pump,that way unless I am making some serious animalistic power I will never need another fuel pump.

Really to be honest the fuel system is probably cheaper to upgrade than any other high performance part out there.

95Mustang I would just tailor the fuel system to how much hp you want to make.

That is pretty much the only advice I can give you,avoid the bigger is better,and you should be alright.

I do not understand how a 24 pound injector with a calibrated MAF sensor can be bad??? I think someone might be thinking that the stock MAF sensor will compensate.

"there are 5,000 Army troops sitting on their butts doing nothing,while 2 companies of Marines are securing this island" spoken by a Army General on the Isle of Grenada in 1983
HORSEMEN RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 05:21 PM   #23
RPM427
Registered Member

near stock engine: 19 pounders better

Near stock engine spraying 125 dry shot: 24 pounders better with AFR, 190+pump, and recalibrated MAF sensor

-1994 Ranger w/ 427cid windsor (daily beater)
check it out!
RPM427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 08:17 PM   #24
keakua
Registered Member

if you really want to find out what you need here's some math to help you out...
first estimate horsepower: 300 your shooting for?
next (BSFC) brake specific fuel consumption: .45 is lean, .55 rich (use .5 as an average)
then duty cycle of each injector. keep in mind that they are rated at 100% duty cycle (DC) in regards to output, but greater than 80% (.80) will kill the life of the injector.
NC (# cylinders): 8
here it is: [(HP x BSFC)/NC]/DC= injector size
[(300 x .5)/8]/ .80
=23.44 lbs-hr or 24# injectors.
thats assuming you have the pump and regulator to max out the injectors. cranking up PSI can only spit out as much fuel as the injector can flow. i maxed out my 24# injectors at 392 hp on the dyno before putting a hole in a piston. up to that point 24s are a safe bet. especially since jumping to the next size is about 200$ more expensive then the 24s. stock injectors will get you safely to about 250 hp. i learned my lesson the hard way, you dont want to max out your fuel supply unless your fiance doesnt mind not getting an engagement ring cause you spent the money fixing your motor.
88 Conv Vortech S-trim 2.5" 10-rib pulley, 332 stroker w/ Cat forged crank, forged JE flat-tops, forged rods, 10.25:1 comp, DSS girdle, edelbrock heads, Omega valvetrain, Lunati custom cam, extrude honed Cobra intake, 70mm T-body, Pro-M 77, bypass valve, dual Walbro 255 lph in tank pumps, an -8 fuel hose, aeromotive fuel rails/regulater. 42# inj, MSD ingniton/boost retard, JBA headers, flowmasters, full Griggs GR-40R suspension (K-member, torque arm, panhard bar, subframes, strut brace) Centerforce clutch, Tremec, Auburn posi locker, moser axles, Baer brakes/rotors, 17" cobra R wheels, custom body/roll bar
keakua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 09:18 PM   #25
Chipdog
Registered Member

What happened to your shraeder valve? Is it that same one that my 92 came with? If it is mine is just sitting in my tool box after a Fuel Pressure gauge install. Your more than welcome to it if it helps.

Chip

And a 9 pound Blow Job
Chipdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 05:33 AM   #26
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chipdog
What happened to your shraeder valve? Is it that same one that my 92 came with? If it is mine is just sitting in my tool box after a Fuel Pressure gauge install. Your more than welcome to it if it helps.

Chip
Thanks chipdog. I got another one from Ford for only $5. Installed it and it and found my FPR is shot. I think I'll get an Aeromotive Adjustable one.

As for my injectors I'll leve them for now I guess.

Old 07-17-2002, 09:19 AM   #27
HORSEMEN RACING
Registered Member

Question Where??????

Quote:
Originally posted by keakua
if you really want to find out what you need here's some math to help you out...
first estimate horsepower: 300 your shooting for?
next (BSFC) brake specific fuel consumption: .45 is lean, .55 rich (use .5 as an average)
then duty cycle of each injector. keep in mind that they are rated at 100% duty cycle (DC) in regards to output, but greater than 80% (.80) will kill the life of the injector.
NC (# cylinders): 8
here it is: [(HP x BSFC)/NC]/DC= injector size
[(300 x .5)/8]/ .80
=23.44 lbs-hr or 24# injectors.
thats assuming you have the pump and regulator to max out the injectors. cranking up PSI can only spit out as much fuel as the injector can flow. i maxed out my 24# injectors at 392 hp on the dyno before putting a hole in a piston. up to that point 24s are a safe bet. especially since jumping to the next size is about 200$ more expensive then the 24s. stock injectors will get you safely to about 250 hp. i learned my lesson the hard way, you dont want to max out your fuel supply unless your fiance doesnt mind not getting an engagement ring cause you spent the money fixing your motor.
I have a question since 30 pound injectors are the next size up,where is this ad that says 30 pound injectors cost 400 dollars? The most I have seen 30 pound injectors is $299.

Fancy math is cool and all that,but at least get the price of the injectors right.

"there are 5,000 Army troops sitting on their butts doing nothing,while 2 companies of Marines are securing this island" spoken by a Army General on the Isle of Grenada in 1983
HORSEMEN RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 09:54 AM   #28
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

It seems like Mustang owners more than any other hobbyist group loooooove to pump more fuel into their engines

Although my knowledge of engines is pretty elementary, I always assumed you increase the injector size corresponding to increases in air flow (intake, heads, etc) Am I wrong? Because I don't see where enough flow in your setup would even come close to requiring 30#, even 24#. I dont have heads yet, but with my setup I'm fine with 19#
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 11:01 AM   #29
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustangbelle306
It seems like Mustang owners more than any other hobbyist group loooooove to pump more fuel into their engines

Although my knowledge of engines is pretty elementary, I always assumed you increase the injector size corresponding to increases in air flow (intake, heads, etc) Am I wrong? Because I don't see where enough flow in your setup would even come close to requiring 30#, even 24#. I dont have heads yet, but with my setup I'm fine with 19#
Belle, I would be doing this only to avoid buying a set of 19# injectors and then turning around and spending $$$ to buy a set of 24 or 30# injectors. But like I said the problem is more in my FPR than injectors (so far), but I like to think ahead to avoid spending carelessly.

Old 07-18-2002, 04:04 PM   #30
keakua
Registered Member

"Fancy math is cool and all that,but at least get the price of the injectors right."

carl, at least you got the point, thanks for posting something usefull
88 Conv Vortech S-trim 2.5" 10-rib pulley, 332 stroker w/ Cat forged crank, forged JE flat-tops, forged rods, 10.25:1 comp, DSS girdle, edelbrock heads, Omega valvetrain, Lunati custom cam, extrude honed Cobra intake, 70mm T-body, Pro-M 77, bypass valve, dual Walbro 255 lph in tank pumps, an -8 fuel hose, aeromotive fuel rails/regulater. 42# inj, MSD ingniton/boost retard, JBA headers, flowmasters, full Griggs GR-40R suspension (K-member, torque arm, panhard bar, subframes, strut brace) Centerforce clutch, Tremec, Auburn posi locker, moser axles, Baer brakes/rotors, 17" cobra R wheels, custom body/roll bar
keakua is offline   Reply With Quote