MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-08-2002, 01:34 AM   #1
zepherman
Registered Member

Default intank or inline fuel pump?

Dont know much about fuel pump setups. pros and cons on intank and inline pumps and thier applications would be nice. What about both?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
90 GT 25th Anni. Did the AOD to T-5 swap, SPEC clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, BBK 2½ inch off-road H pipe, Flows, BBK 70mm TB/EGR, Ford Racing aluminim driveshaft, 3.55's, welded subframes, Ram Air, 3 core radiator, NOS dry kit 75 shot, and a K&N filter.

12.9 @ 108
zepherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 01:45 AM   #2
PKRWUD

The closer to the fuel the pump is, the easier it's job is, and the longer and more trouble free it's life will be.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 01:58 AM   #3
zepherman
Registered Member

A bit shorter than i expected, anything else?

P.S. Mr. WUD, i live that picture on your site with the fire hose going through the guys windows
90 GT 25th Anni. Did the AOD to T-5 swap, SPEC clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, BBK 2½ inch off-road H pipe, Flows, BBK 70mm TB/EGR, Ford Racing aluminim driveshaft, 3.55's, welded subframes, Ram Air, 3 core radiator, NOS dry kit 75 shot, and a K&N filter.

12.9 @ 108
Old 08-08-2002, 02:53 AM   #4
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

What are you looking to do with these fuel pumps?

Mustangs come with in tank pumps that I believe were rated at 88 lph (sorry if I am stating the obvious for you...I am not familiar with what you may or may not know). Most people would consider this a weak spot in the Mustang, especially when modifying. I put in a 190 lph pump in mine....probably more than I need, but I can always use the pressure regulator to fix that.

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 03:21 AM   #5
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by zepherman
A bit shorter than i expected, anything else?

P.S. Mr. WUD, i live that picture on your site with the fire hose going through the guys windows
LOL! Yeah, I'll bet he never parks in front of a fire hydrant again!

In tank pumps prime quicker, draw less amps, run cooler, last longer, and virtually eliminate any possibility of ever having vapor lock. Why? Because electric fuel pumps are much better at pushing than they are at pulling. The side of the pump that pulls the fuel creates a low pressure zone between it and the fuel, whereas the side of the pump that is pushed creates a high pressure zone, which eliminates the possibility of vapor lock. So, logic dictates that you want the pulling side to be as short as possible, and the pushing side to be the longest. You can't get much closer to the fuel than in the tank.

Hethj7 asks a good question: What are your intentions? That might make explaining things easier.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-08-2002, 05:19 PM   #6
zepherman
Registered Member

im going to upgrade my fuel pump soon probably t a 255. I under stand about intank pumps. i guess im really asking what the deal is with inline pumps, are they just a booster to make sure fuel pressure doesn't drop under load?

12.9 @ 108
Old 08-08-2002, 05:51 PM   #7
avbcon12
Registered Member

the inline pumps are for people with either blowers or big shots of nitrous that need the extra assurance and flow.

take care,
adam
ported GT-40 heads w/ 1.7RR, Cobra intake w/ ported lower, 24# injectors, 190LPH pump, 75mm Pro-M MAF, 65mm TB, K&N panel, BBK long tubes, Off road H-pipe, 2 ch. Flowmaster, Black magic fan, Kirban FPR, 180 deg. T-stat, 3.73's, Steeda Tri-Ax, 130 amp alt. Accell 8.8 race wires/cap/rotor, motorcraft plugs, Factory Five suspension, etc etc etc....

http://avbcon12.stangnet.com
avbcon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 08:13 PM   #8
PKRWUD

I see. Yeah, they're pretty much for power adders. For example, in the middle pic below, that thing w/ the NOS sticker on it at the front of the valve cover was my extra inline pump that I used for my NOS system. I didn't need it, my main pump was sufficient, but why chance it?

Take care,
~Chris

Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-10-2002, 11:27 AM   #9
LX5liter
dude5l

Quote:
[i] The side of the pump that pulls the fuel creates a low pressure zone between it and the fuel, whereas the side of the pump that is pushed creates a high pressure zone, which eliminates the possibility of vapor lock. So, logic dictates that you want the pulling side to be as short as possible, and the pushing side to be the longest. You can't get much closer to the fuel than in the tank.
[/B]
Like we say in the Heavy Duty trade; Pumps don't suck, they push!

Brad R.
1992 L.X. 5.0 coupe
MODS: A few little bolt ons
New Best time ...11.60 @ 128 mph @ 2000+ ft altitude.

Rice Haters Club member #39

Users rides #2542
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 04:28 PM   #10
RBatson
Registered Member

I have a 190 intank and have yet to install the T-rex. The 190 gives it plenty of pressure though I guess I'd have to have it dynoed or run it on the track to see if it makes any difference (with t-rex and without). I may be losing some up top without the t-rex but.. I dunno, it pulls pretty hard(the fuel pressure gauge in under the hood). Intank would be the way to go.
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote