MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-20-2002, 07:50 AM   #1
rppngears
Registered Member

Default need some help

I am redoing my exhaust, replacing my broken dynomax with a flowmaster catback. My question if I reuse the same old pipe, between the h-pipe to the muffler, is the joint between the h-pipe and this muffler pipe likely to leak? If so is there some kind of gasket I can put in it? The pipe still fits over the end of the hpipe fairly snugly, but not with a whole lot of overlap.

Also, while I have my car on jackstands, I am considering trying to fix my oil leak at the rear main seal. How difficult is this to fix and about how many hours would be expected for the first time attempting this? I have a Haynes manual and a fair assortment of tools.

Thank for any help.
Ryan
Old 08-20-2002, 08:08 AM   #2
chris91LX
Registered Member

If the pipe isn't leaking now it shouldn't leak when you change the mufflers.

As far as the rear main seal, I wouldn't go in there just for that unless it's leaking badly. To get at it you have to remove the H-pipe, driveshaft, trans, bellhousing, clutch and flywheel. If your going to do all that it's best to do it when you need to replace the clutch so you don't have to do it twice. It's not too difficult of a job, just time consuming.
125 shot - 12.04 @ 113 1.59 60'
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 10:46 AM   #3
SlowGT
Registered Member

A new Flowmaster catback kit will come with the tubes to connect the H-pipe to the mufflers.

New Slow GT--> under construction

Latest Addition: 95 Cobra R, #73, bone stock, ~6100 miles.
SlowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 07:40 AM   #4
USMC302
Registered Member

Just some advice while your doing exhaust, be sure the jack stands are supporting the suspension, as in the car is sitting under load just as if it were on all four tires, this reduces the chance of an exhaust leak, if the car is supported on the frame the body and suspension will tweak a bit after putting it back on the ground, which causes the pipe to adjust.

If you have power tools the main seal should take around 4 hours, if not you will be there for about 9! If you decide to do it, you should replace your throwout bearing, change your tranny fluid, oil, and clutch accessories which was mentioned before. Might as well put an aluminum driveshaft in too while your down there. Sorry i get carried away, now I see why it takes me so long to do a project, I am always thinking about what else I could do while I'm at it. Good luck regardless!!