MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-08-2002, 08:55 PM   #1
homeroV8
Registered Member

Default nitrous and timing

I´m planning on installing a 75 hp NOS kit and a MSD window switch, and while reviewing some posts, I learned the timing must be set dow to 10 deg. How can it be done? The EEC doesn´t do it automatically? Also, I´m using Bosch platinum plugs, and some sources disagree with its use. Thank you in advance, and help me, I don´t wanna destroy my engine!!
FMS 3:73, GT40P mildly ported and polished heads, MAC p-headers, roller rockers, mildly ported and polished cobra intake, XE270 comp cam, 65mm Tb, 77mm Pro-M.
homeroV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 07:13 AM   #2
PKRWUD

The same way you set it above 10 degrees: pull the spout connector and set it at 10. It really only needs to be retarded 2 degrees tops for a 75 shot. Platinums suck. Why would you want them anyway? You can't regap them, and they become as fragile as glass strands. Stick with good, cheap copper.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 09:11 AM   #3
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

Do exactly as chris said and you'll be fine. 10 degrees is plenty of timing with just a 75 shot. Bosch's suck???? I have to highly disagree. That's ALL I run in my car. If they'll handle almost 1800hp they'll handle anything. I've never had any trouble out of them. Matter of fact their the only ones i've had that haven't fouled as soon as i've started the motor.
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 01:47 PM   #4
PKRWUD

And how long do you go between changes? Plats are zero maintenance plugs. If you are in a situation where your plugs won't need any maintenance until they are replaced, then go for it. But if you plan on regapping them one time, you're asking for trouble.

Keep in mind that yours doesn't see a lot of drive-throughs, freeways, or stop and go driving while looking for shoes for the kids for school, either.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 12:33 AM   #5
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

You can get away with 12-14 degrees and premium pump gas with a 75 shot, and one heat range colder on the plugs... if you still run the stock iron heads, then it'd be an Autolite 24 or equivalent.... gap 'em at .035 of course. Start w/ 900 psi bottle pressure.

I don't prefer/recommend platinum plugs for use with nitrous... the Autolite Racing plug is good, as well as NGK's, either will do. Actually, a plain-jane Autolite or NGK plug will do the job just fine.

10 degrees is an excellent starting point and is playing safe... however, through tuning, good note taking, and making one small change at a time, you will net some good ET improvements and learn what your combo does/doesn't like...

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 04:41 PM   #6
homeroV8
Registered Member

Thank for the info, guys. I´ll try to make it fine before any attempt to run.
FMS 3:73, GT40P mildly ported and polished heads, MAC p-headers, roller rockers, mildly ported and polished cobra intake, XE270 comp cam, 65mm Tb, 77mm Pro-M.
homeroV8 is offline   Reply With Quote