MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-11-2002, 01:50 PM   #1
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Default What's the ideal coolant mixture?

I'm in California and havn't had a chance to run my car with the new radiator yet. I will be working on it this weekend and I'll be filling the radiator with the antifreeze. Is there any rule as to how much coolant goes in as to how much water? Also, what is water wetter? I've heard most people here use it, but I can't seem to find it at my local part stores. BTW, I have a 27 x 19 two row Griffin radiator with the stock fan on. Thanks, Keith

Rice Hater's Club Member 22
Kamaro Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 02:16 PM   #2
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

I believe most manufactures recommend a 50/50 mixture. Can't help with water wetter, never use it.
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 02:37 PM   #3
PKRWUD

A 50/50 mix in the radiator is WAY too much coolant! Especially in warm climates. You will rarely ever require more than 30% coolant/anti-freeze, and even then, only if you live within the Arctic Circle. 20% would be more practical. Coolant serves five purposes, none of which keeps the engine cooler. It:
1) Acts as a lubricant for the water pump.
2) Helps protect the hoses from the inside (BTW, save your used coolant for wiping down your tires! It will restore the "new tire" look, rather than the "glazed donut" look you get with aftermarket tire dressings).
3) Helps reduce the electrolysis that naturally occurs in cooling systems that deteriorates metal.
4) Lowers the freezing point of the cooling system mixture
5) Raises the boiling point of the cooling system mixture.
This last one is the most deceptive. A cooling system in proper working order is a sealed system. That means that no outside air can get in, and as the temp rises, the system becomes pressurized. Pressure, combined with no added air, will keep the system from boiling under normal circumstances. By raising the boiling point, coolant actually raises the cooling mixture temp. The info on the sides of the coolant containers brag about being able to reach 260 degrees before boiling over, but guess what: DAMAGE CAN OCCUR AT OR BELOW 260 DEGREES!!! You want it to boil over before it gets that hot! That way you will stop driving, and let the system cool down. Coolant also retains heat, which makes it harder for the cooling system to dissipate the heat, like it's supposed to. Here in California, I never use more than 10% coolant, even when I go to the snow in the mountains. I worked for Bill Elliott in 1998, and was shocked to discover that those cars, with their 900 horsepower engines that drove for 500 miles straight, averaging 7000+ rpms, ran with 100% water in the cooling system. The only thing they use coolant for in NASCAR is to measure the cc's of the combustion chambers in their heads. Because they don't use coolant, they have to use a higher pressure rated radiator cap (28 - 30 psi), but since everything is new, it can easily handle that much pressure. Don't believe the hype: coolant actually makes your engine run hotter!

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 03:26 PM   #4
jerrys84
Registered Member

what chris said..

I am currently running about 20% anti-freeze. but with my recent cooling problem, i found a good high flow stat to be the best at reducing the heat. I also recently installed an oil cooler, and that helped lower the temp another 3-5 degrees..

my car currently runs about 175-189...

Watter Wetter is a product that some have luck with and some don't..

it lower'd my operating temp about 4 degrees lower. I have talked with a few guys running super modified cars that regularly see 10-20 degrees..

previous stangs;

lightly modded 84GT

81 2.3 converted to 302 auto
jerrys84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 04:57 PM   #5
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Question what thermostat should I be using...

I installed a 180* thermostat. Since I havn't had a chance to drive my car with the new radiator, I don't know how it cools. Should I go with a different thermostat. or should a 180* be alright? Thanks, Keith

Rice Hater's Club Member 22
Kamaro Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 05:04 PM   #6
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Water wetter

Kamaro Killer:

Water Wetter is good stuff, not hype. I've used it and seen a 10 degree temperature drop.

I know it's usually available in mass market auto parts stores like Pep Boys and Auto Zone. Try there - or by mail order if all else fails.
It's only about $7.00 for a bottle and one is all you need.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 01:40 AM   #7
TMASTER
Registered Member

Default 160

I run a 160 Thermostat and got a new stock radiator my temp stays down at the A and L on the Normal gauge! durring hot days driving!

93GT 5.0 /MSD-A6/headers/H-pipe/pully/3.55's/70mmTB
TMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 08:32 AM   #8
Mach 1
Registered Member

I suggest you buy one of those cheap "hydrometers" at the auto parts store that will tell you what the freezing point is with the mixture you are running, and adjust it so it is strong enough for the winter temperatures where you live.

Simple and you know you are protected against freezing, which is what your really worried about with antifreeze anyway, not overheating.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 02:11 AM   #9
MDM
Registered Member

go with one container of water wetter, use a high quality 180 degree thermo, such as Edelbrock HP balanced with the large throat, and fill your system with the mixture % as Chris advised and you will be getting maximum cooling from your hardware.
MDM is offline   Reply With Quote