MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-09-2002, 05:10 PM   #1
jruppert
Registered Member

Default Adaptive fuel limit... what is this??

My car has been using a little more gas lately. I have 24lb injectors and also have a Pro-M calibrated to run them. My pro-m started acting up so I took it off and replaced it with my stock MAF. Once in a while my check engine light comes on. Today I went to check for codes and I had gotten 6 or 7 of them. The first two basically said that both O2 sensors were reporting a rich mixture. Which I thought was odd because of the mismatch in MAF. I assumed it would be running lean if anything. The next code said that the adaptive fuel limit reached at half throttle. Does anyone know what this is? I know that my MAF isnt right but I wasnt sure if I had something else going on. Any suggestions?
jruppert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 06:57 PM   #2
lx mike
Undescribable

It's running rich cause of the stock maf with the 24 lb injectors and the computer is trying to correct it but can only do this up to a certain point and that what it is doing in your case.
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 08:24 PM   #3
jruppert
Registered Member

Well thats what I thought but since it never threw out a actual MAF code I didnt know if I was dealing with a totally different problem.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:30 PM   #4
srv1
Get down.....

basically how much the computer can pulse the injectors for a given time. since you running so rich, the computer cant even lean it out correctly in order for it to run right. it also thinks that it is giving an A/F ratio of full throttle, and it is getting those figures at half throttle. basically injector "on-time" is very high. the computer cant do no more except throw a check engine light on and throw a code into memory. also, what is your fuel pressure at?

your running rich: too high fuel pressure. wrong MAF or defective. too big of a cam. fuel pressure regulator bad. myself, i think you have a MAF problem. try another 24lb MAF and go from there.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:52 AM   #5
88workcar
Registered Member

Cool

Did it ever run good with the 24s?
To be old and wise, You must first be young and stupid I'm somewhere in tthe middle.
88workcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 07:55 AM   #6
mike72678
MW Link Sponsor

when your eec is in adaptive mode , that means that is learning (closed loop only) .with a mas calibrated for 19 lb. running 24 lb. you will run very rich , and it is too much for the computer to adjust for unless you have a custom burned chip. i would try putting the pro m back in and make sure it is in the stock location , also if you have a cone filter clamped directly onto the mas , i would try removing that and putting some kind of tubing in front of the mas before the filter , also you can try actually rotating the mas about 45 degrees either way . these are just a couple of known problems that can disrupt airflow to the mas and cause false readings . hope this helps .
mike72678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 04:30 PM   #7
jruppert
Registered Member

At one point the car ran fine with my Pro-M installed. The car was getting around 24mpg. When the MAF went bad it started running so rich that the cats were getting real hot. They would get so hot that they cats would start smoking. Also, you could really smell the fumes in the exhaust. That is why I took the Pro-M out. I am getting ready to send it in to have it checked out. When it was installed, the computer threw out a code. I cant remember what number it was but it basically said that they MAF was running below minumum voltage. With the stock MAF installed it runs fine. The performance isnt up to snuff and I am getting around 200 miles per tank. Also, I have a custom chip installed and when I had it made I told them that I had 24lb injectors with a MAF calibrated to run them. I thought maybe the chip would run those injectors if anything. Is it possible that the chip could be bad? If the chip was bad would it make my Pro-M dump even more fuel into the system?