MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-16-2002, 03:58 PM   #1
dragstang86
Registered Member

Default 11 sec daily driven all motor...

Alright guys i need your help to get me in the elevens all motor for now. In the future i am planning on some sort of forced induction and its my daily driver so i dont wanna run alot of compression. In a month im gonna take my car of the road for a week or so and do quite a few things to it hopefully getting it to break in the 11's. Right now it is running low 13's with a 1.75 60ft leaving from idle. My current set up is listed below. Im also listing the changes that im plannng next to it. Please give me some on advice on gettin this to see at least a 11.9

NOW || IN A MONTH FROM NOW

fresh 306 ||
gt-40p heads || AFR 58cc 165's or 185's????
cobra intake || porting upper and lower
1.6 roller rockers
e303 cam
stock MAF and injectors || C&L 73mm and 24lb injectors
stock fan and wp || electric fan electric waterpump
shorties
x-pipe
flowmasters
70mm throttle body
bbk fender well

C-4 Tranny 3500 stall
373's
limited slip || posi rear

All the suspension stuff

thanks for all your help,
bryan

90lx
86coupe
dragstang86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 04:14 PM   #2
chris91LX
Registered Member

First I would suggest not wasting your time and/or money porting the Cobra intake, get an RPM or a trick flow they'll flow better. Second, I don't know that I would go with an electric water pump yet, you could spend that money on the intake or a power adder. Third, I'm not sure your gonna get 11.9's with that combo anyway, unless you spray it or you gut the crap out of the car and do a full drag suspension. IMO the 185's would be good if you are going to be doing alot more work to the motor, but might not be as effective as the 165's in the short run. Easiest way to see 11's would be nitrous IMO. Just my .02
125 shot - 12.04 @ 113 1.59 60'
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 05:26 PM   #3
Superpromustang
Registered Member

I agree with Chris91lx, don't go with the cobra intake, go with a performer or a trick flow, and probably will need to go to a bigger mass air like a 75mm pro-m or a 73mm c&l, and the e303 cam won't give you that much power gain, I would go with the trickflow stage 2 or the x303 motor sport cam, and if you're going to have this as a daily driver, I definetely don't recommend going to an electric water pump, because IT WILL overheat, hope this helps you,

Kenny
Superpromustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 09:32 PM   #4
dragstang86
Registered Member

Yea..i just want to get it in the 11's before i put any nitrous or supercharger or anything on it. i know an electric fan and electric water pump is worth a good 3-4 tenths in the quarter. So doin that alone should get me in the high 12's. So then i need to knock a second of with everything else. I have a friend with a stock bottom, dart heads with 2.02 1.60's, and a systemmax intake and a z cam with the same tranny and gears as me is goin 11.6 @116 in a full interior gt without mass air. Im not sure if ill break 11's with that setup thats why im asking what i how need to change my plans to get it in the 11's all motor. What heads intake cam? Can i go 11's with a ported cobra? Can i go 11's with an e-cam?

thanks for your help,
bryan

90lx
Old 10-16-2002, 09:44 PM   #5
dragstang86
Registered Member

i already have the cobra intake and the e-cam. Everything on the left is the stuff i already have. Thats why i was gonna keep the e-cam if i can go elevens with it. And i was gonna port the cobra intake. Basically then what all motor combo do you think i need to get in the 11's? What heads, intake, and cam do i need?

thanks for your help,
bryan

90lx
Old 10-16-2002, 09:44 PM   #6
fiveOguy20
Registered Member

well 1st off it will take more than just motor to hit 11's.. ur chassis an suspension needs to be reinforced an upgraded.. not to mention ur trans an clutch if ur runnin a 5 speed. so keep all that in mind when planning ur project. ya 11's on motor is very possible with the right parts but it prolly wouldnt be a daily driver by anymeans
fiveOguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 09:57 PM   #7
fiveOguy20
Registered Member

ahh u have a c-4.. overlooked that
fiveOguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 10:07 PM   #8
ERStettin
Registered Member

I did it with the stuff in my signature. I have a friend who goes 11.5's @117 with a AOD and a 89GT with the CHP 347 kit in a stock block, FTI AFR 185's, FTI Holley intake and FTI cam and still drives it reliably around town.

It is very easy to have a 11 second car, all motor WITH reliability/driveability. You just have to match the combination correctly.
92 LX Coupe, Stock 302 short block (150,000 miles), FTI prepped AFR 165 heads with FMS 1.6 stud mounted rockers, FTI prepped Edlebrock Performer RPM intake, FTI cam, Accufab 75 mm Throttle Body, Pro M 80 mm Mass Air, 30 lb injectors, MAC underdrive pullies, MAC 1 3/4 inch Longtubes with 3 inch collectors, MAC 3 inch Pro Chamber, MAC 3 inch Pro Dumps, 4.10's, Tremec TKO (SPEC Stage 3 Clutch) with Pro 5.0 shifter and FMS aluminum drive shaft, Global West Track Link, Global West Subs, Global West Lower Rear Control Arms, Lakewood 70/30's with 4 cylinder springs up front, Lakewood 50/50's with stock springs in back, 15 X 9 Draglites with Mickey Thompson ET Drags at track or American Racers on street in back, 15 X 4 Draglites up front.

Best run 11.814@116.13 (Thanks Ed Curtis for the GREAT engine combination and SPEC Clutches!)

333.4 RWHP @ 5583
325.6 RW Torque @ 4177
(Dynapack Chasis Dynamometer)
ERStettin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 06:17 AM   #9
dragstang86
Registered Member

I see you have the 165's..So would u suggest the 165's over the 185's? As far as suspension goes i have...sub frame connectors, 70/30's, SSM liftbars, ford motorsport dragsprings, and i have street slicks on it. So what combo would u suggest to keep it very streetable in the 11's using as much of the parts that i already have to do it. I mean of course im putting different heads on it but can i keep the e-cam and go 11's or port the cobra and go elevens? I appreciate it if you guys can throw some all motor, streetable, 11 sec combos at me.

thanks for all the help,
bryan

90lx
Old 10-17-2002, 06:35 AM   #10
Jeff Chambers

Ditch the shelf cams (E, X, TFS, etc.). Talk to a reputable cam shop like Cam Motions, FTI, Anderson, etc. You get much better performance for about $100 more than the shelf crap.

I helped a friend put together a daily driver 306ci combination that's gone 11.91@115, granny shifting all the way down. It has 306ci, ported Cobra, Anderson N61, AFR 165's, Holley long-tubes and 30# w/ 80mm MAS and 70mm TB. The motor made about 420hp on the dyno with 10.0:1 compression and a very mild tune on the engine.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 12:32 PM   #11
ERStettin
Registered Member

Jeff is right. Ditch the shelf cams and move up to a custom grind for YOUR combination. It makes a big difference.

I saw your combination. For heads I would go with a set of 165's that have been worked by some reputable shop (FTI, Anderson, ect.). The Cobra intake definetly would need to be ported on the lower end and if your going to spend the money to do this, you just might as well buy a Performer RPM, Holley or TFS intake. I liked the Performer RPM because it was almost a perfect match for the 165's and 185's on the port size. Plus, the way these heads flow and the custom cam revs, your going to be wanting to stay in it as long as you can. It was nothing to bounce the rev limiter with my set up. It just pulled hard from 3000 to the rev limiter.

I personally like the Pro M 80 mm over the C&L piece but I know Darren Hendricks made the switch to the C&L and picked up some horsepower with his combination, so either will work. I would move up to a set of 30 lb injectors, that way you can grow into them later, and you will want to move up in the horsepower department again....I guarantee it. The 24's would be enough for your setup though.

My buddy running the 347 is also running a set of BBK shortys so your alright with the shortys, though I would run a set of 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 inch long tubes into a 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust. Again, your o.k. with shortys into a 2.5 inch Cat free exhaust.

I would definetly dump the 3.73's with a automatic. In my opinion, you would need to run a 4.10 to get in the 11's in a regular weight, street driven car. If it were me, I would go for a set of 4.10's and then maybe run a Hoosier Quick Time Pro (27 inches tall) to help keep the car off the rev limiter, if that becomes a problem on the top end. I know it was a problem for my 347 friend and that is what he did.

If you have the money, get one of those Tweekers too. I think every modified car can make more horsepower with those. I don't own one yet, but my 347 friend just bought one and made 1.5 more mph and 2/10ths better ET with just that thing. I was amazed. It allows you to set your rev limiter, fuel, ect.. I guess it is a more advanced setup then the FMS Extender and the like. I am sure you can get close or better results with the other tuners out there as well. I just mention this one because I have seen it work. Andersons, Fords, ect will probably work just as well. I just haven't seen anyone running with those yet.

Basically, what you want to do is make sure you have a nicely matched combination. Call a guy like Ed Curtis, Rick Anderson, Jeff Chambers, Buddy Rawls ect. and get their opinions on this stuff. I called Ed Curtis and told him EXACTLY what I wanted to do and let him designe the setup for me. It worked perfectly. I wanted a daily street driven car that would run 11's at the track on the 302 stock shortblock. He set me up with the stuff in my signature and I ran high 11's all day long and drove it home with the air conditioning on. I also drove this car from Iowa to Alabama and back this past February. I was down there for a month and drove it daily. I had zero problems with it. These guys can help you alot in achieving your goals. They have been there and done it, it is old hat for them. It would be like you helping a guy just getting going on how to get in the 13's or the like. You have been there and done it and know just what it takes. It is the exact same thing.

Best of luck to you and your 11 second goals. I know you will be able to do it.

Ed Stettin
92 LX Coupe, Stock 302 short block (150,000 miles), FTI prepped AFR 165 heads with FMS 1.6 stud mounted rockers, FTI prepped Edlebrock Performer RPM intake, FTI cam, Accufab 75 mm Throttle Body, Pro M 80 mm Mass Air, 30 lb injectors, MAC underdrive pullies, MAC 1 3/4 inch Longtubes with 3 inch collectors, MAC 3 inch Pro Chamber, MAC 3 inch Pro Dumps, 4.10's, Tremec TKO (SPEC Stage 3 Clutch) with Pro 5.0 shifter and FMS aluminum drive shaft, Global West Track Link, Global West Subs, Global West Lower Rear Control Arms, Lakewood 70/30's with 4 cylinder springs up front, Lakewood 50/50's with stock springs in back, 15 X 9 Draglites with Mickey Thompson ET Drags at track or American Racers on street in back, 15 X 4 Draglites up front.

Best run 11.814@116.13 (Thanks Ed Curtis for the GREAT engine combination and SPEC Clutches!)

333.4 RWHP @ 5583
325.6 RW Torque @ 4177
Old 10-17-2002, 02:29 PM   #12
Simi Stang

Default 11sec daily driver

I doubt that an electric fan & waterpump would knock off 3-4 tenths off your 1/4 mile time. That's being a little optimistic. No the E-303 cam will not get you into the 11s without a power adder like nitrous or a supercharger. I'd take the advice "ERStettin" gave you and get your heads & intake ported by a reputable shop. The custom grind cam sounds like the way to go too. Good luck with your combo. Let us know the outcome.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:20 PM   #13
dragstang86
Registered Member

thanks alot for all the help you guys its really appreciated. The reason i was gonna port the cobra is because my dad can do it for free. He has all the equipment to do it and has been porting his own race car heads for a long time so i figured porting the intake would be no biggie. So would the cobra flow as well as say a trick flow or performer intake once it's ported or should i still go with a different intake? A friend of mine picked up 2 1/2 tenths with an electric fan and all the race car guys say about 1.5 tenths per pulley you get rid of. Where are these cam shops located and how can i contact them?

thanks alot for all your help,
bryan

90lx
Old 10-17-2002, 11:16 PM   #14
ERStettin
Registered Member

The Cobra will flow as good as those other intakes after being ported but I think it's power band will still be below 5600. Your going to need to wind your motor to hit 11's with 302 cubic inches, and the Cobra is going to be finished by the time you get any where near your rev. limiter. This is why Anderson and the others used to just cut sections out of these Cobras to help port them out and shorten the runners a bit. I can tell you from running both of them that the Performer RPM will outperform your Cobra pretty much throughout the power band. Maybe not to much or any at all down low, but up in the RPM ranges that are going to get you an 11 second time slip.....there is no comparison. It is a GREAT street intake but not the best choice for 1/4 mile performance.

Anytime you can eliminate drag on the engine (bypass a pulley, run a roller cam or crank bearing, ect) your going to pick up horsepower. It just lets the engine do that much less work. Your going to pick some horsepower up with a switch to a electric pump, but you would pick up more performance with a switch to 4.10's or a better exhaust or intake, ect..

If you ran a short belt at the track then you would still be able to run your stock water pump and you wouldn't have to run an electric. These electrics are not the most proven application for a street car yet. I know some of the manufacturers claim they can run for thousands of hours but I have yet to hear of anyone doing it and I am not willing to take the chance of getting stuck in the middle of bum $%^& Egypt because my electric water pump took a #$%^. Just not worth it to me yet. There are other ways to make that horsepower up.

Ed Curtis can be reached at www.flowtechinduction.com

Again, the best of luck to you and your quest. You can make your goals rather easily if you just plan it out and buy your parts wisely.

Ed Stettin

333.4 RWHP @ 5583
325.6 RW Torque @ 4177
Old 10-18-2002, 12:06 AM   #15
dragstang86
Registered Member

Thanks alot for the help, you have been extremely helpful. Im going to contact Ed Curtis right away. Im sure ill probably have a couple more questions with in the next month or so.

thanks again,
bryan

90lx