MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-20-2001, 11:37 AM   #1
Coupe Devil

Post Tunnel ram w/ 2 fours. (long)

If you read the sig you will see I am using the Mustang motor for a Ranger. I am supposed to pick up the Ranger I am using next week sometime. I am not running EFI on this, to much trouble. I want to put a tunnel ram and dual holley 450's on it. I have an E303 cam and am getting 1.7 rollers. The bottom end is stock, forged aluminum pistons .030 over and full ported and polished factory heads. Is this to much fuel to feed it with and if it is what do you recommend? I would to add a blower but dont have the funds now. Also which dist. will I need to run. The truck will be equipped with a MSD 6AL. I am using the factory brackets and acc. but deleting the a/c and smog. Which belt do I need.
Thanks

------------------
'93 lx 4 banger, wrecked '90 lx 5.0, w/ t-5. .030 over fully ported and polihed (did that just to see if I could-first attempt at it). Motor and tranny in use for Ranger project.

Cocked, locked and ready to rock

Pony Power Forever
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 04:18 PM   #2
Lexicon
Registered Member

some of the old factory race stangs would incorporate a minimum 1050cfm of combined Holley Dominators on top of their tunnel ram intakes.
Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 06:03 PM   #3
lx mike
Undescribable

What are your plans for the truck?? Why a tunnel ram?? tunnel rams are for top end power you would probly be better off with a high rise dual plane intake like the performer rpm and 750 carb.
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 10:45 PM   #4
BlackFly
Registered Member

lxmike is right about the combo, however the carb setup you want is not so much to much fuel but to much carb period. you could run without a problem if they are jetted properly and sinked right, but why?unless these parts are free, its not really the way to go,even with an e cam, its not that big. the 750 is big enough even for a blower setup later. get a distributor and coresponding hardware from a junker off of any electronic setup car(mid seventies to 85) should be fine, get all of the electronic parts for it and a hanes manual for it so you know which wires go to live power and so forth.and a fuel pump. by the way , the timing cover after 86 has no hole in it for a fuel pump, if you change this you may also need a different water pump, which may actually cause interference problems with the factory brackets made for fuelie cars. i've been through this , it can get frustrating.
BlackFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 01:10 AM   #5
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Well lesse?

306.1 x 6500(?) / 3456 = 576 cfm 2 100% volumetric efficency

The handy little sim dyno predicts 86% volumetric effiency which would mean 576 x .86 = 495 cfm as a target

I would say a dual plane intake (performer rpm or the like) with a 650 cfm carb. Should run with no restriction at wide open throttle

As an RL example I have a very mild solid roller brand x 355 with .599 lift on 278 degrees of advertised duration, It has ported 461 castings with a Performer RPM Airgap manifold a 650 cfm carb and 1-3/4 long tubes and at WOT it pulls less than 5 pounds of vaccum (around 3 or 2 pounds) at about 6,000 to 6,500 rpm with the 650 cfm carb.

Not to bash Ford (seeing as how I own a 91 5.0), but I'm willing to bet a dollar to a donut that even the grandpa 461 castings could whoop up on a set of E7TE's and with 49 less cubes I would say that a 650 would be plenty 'nuff carb to feed it. Even then I would consider a vaccum secondary carb with the 650 cfm unit

MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 08:28 AM   #6
Coupe Devil

As for plans for the truck goes I mainly want a little hot rod to admire on cruise nights. I plan to tub it for looks only, i dont figure that a small block of this caliber would turn the tires like a true hot rod anyway. I will use and aftermarket dist. like a Mallory, with the MSD. I like the way the tunnel ram looks, for example some sticker riden raice driver starts bragging and all I do is pop the hood. I'm fairly certain he wont want any after seeing that.

I also plan to add a small, let me reinerate SMALL nitrous shot (wet system). I like the Holley products a little better than the Edelbrock, in my experience I find them more reliable and easier to tune.

Aftermarket aluminum heads may be in the work later but not right now. I would probably use the Trick Flows for that. All the fuel system will be totally redone with a fuel cell and in-line pump. Take nto consideration I will be stripping the truck totally. The only thing that will be stock is the outside of the body. I just want something to play with that I don't have to rely on everyday.

Thanks for the help.

------------------
'93 lx 4 banger, wrecked '90 lx 5.0, w/ t-5. .030 over fully ported and polihed (did that just to see if I could-first attempt at it). Motor and tranny in use for Ranger project.

Cocked, locked and ready to rock

Pony Power Forever
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote