MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-01-2002, 11:53 AM   #1
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Default All motor gods..need help asap!

I am going to set my distributor in and I had turned my crank so I inserted my finger into the number one cylinder spark plug hole and turned the crank over and never got any compression to push my finger out but I kept hearing air coming out of the exhaust ports so I loosened both rocker arms to make sure the valves closed completely and turned it over and still got no compression but air coming out of the exhaust port of the head.

I have the complete shortblock put together. AFR 185 heads and the lower systemax two intake. HELP FAST!!

1995 Chevy S-10
406 SBC, Dual tunnel ram, Dart heads, Nitrous, full tub, 4-link, adjustable drag shocks, coil-overs, 9in rearend, 4.56 gears...etc
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 12:02 PM   #2
WADS56
gear banger

You never get any compression out of the spark plug hole at all only the exhaust? Even with the rockers off That dosn't sound good. Is this motor new or has it been ran before? Well, if it is comming out of the exhaust it is a no brainer that the valve is not closing. Bent, obstruction, hung up, cam timing WAY off???
Ricer hater's club member #49
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 12:07 PM   #3
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

The heads are brand spanking new along with the anderson ford motorsport cam that was degree'd in perfect. The shortblock has approx 1500miles on it. When I turn the crank over I get just a tiny bit of pressure coming out of the spark plug holes

1995 Chevy S-10
406 SBC, Dual tunnel ram, Dart heads, Nitrous, full tub, 4-link, adjustable drag shocks, coil-overs, 9in rearend, 4.56 gears...etc
Old 11-01-2002, 12:08 PM   #4
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Tightening down the rocker arms to tight cause this?

1995 Chevy S-10
Old 11-01-2002, 12:11 PM   #5
WADS56
gear banger

If you have the rockers off, and the plug out there should be no way that you could keep your finger over the hole. Unless the rockers are still on and to tight you have a problem. good thing it is winter
Old 11-01-2002, 01:38 PM   #6
PKRWUD

Sounds like your valves are too tight. Rather than your finger, wad up a piece of paper towel, and jam it into the plug hole. If it pops out, you're good. If it doesn't, you're not. LOL. I'd readjust the valves for schits and giggles anyway.

Take care,
ÅChris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 02:24 PM   #7
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

I was getting good compression in every cylinder but #1...Its like there is a hole in the port. I adjusted and readjusted everything again. Swapped the heads and still have the same problem with that section of the head. So I called AFR and got into with them and they informed me nothing they send out is wrong. In the long run I sent it back and they are going to send me a another brand new head. So now probably about another month til I can drop her in.

1995 Chevy S-10
Old 11-01-2002, 02:35 PM   #8
WADS56
gear banger

At least they will replace the head and should pay for freight charges as well. Like I said... good thing winter is here
Old 11-01-2002, 08:25 PM   #9
PKRWUD

It's gonna suck if it was the rings lining up wrong.

Take care,
ÅChris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 11:04 AM   #10
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

The rings were fine. I took the head off from the other side and put it on and I was getting compression from the # 1 cylinder. I them put the bad head on the other side of the motor and still was getting no compression out of the same ports. Sucks! another 3-5 weeks....

1995 Chevy S-10
Old 11-03-2002, 11:24 PM   #11
Chevysucks
Registered Member

smokedawg---- where did you purchase your 347 short block from .. I am building an ATI supercharged 347.
1.7 crane roller rockers/extra hardened pushrods
FRPP X-303 Cam
Stock Intake-1 inch intake spacer
BBK Cold Air Induction
Stock Injectors--going to 24 pounders
BBK Full Length Headers
Mac 2.5 inch Cat-Back
8 Point Cage
Sub Frame Connectors
World Class T-5
Steeda Shift Cable,Quadrant,Firewall adjuster
King Cobra Clutch
Pro 5.0 Shifter
Alunimum Driveshaft/ Drive shaft loop
Kenny Brown suspension
3.55 gears
Chevysucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 04:59 AM   #12
jim_howard_pdx
Registered Member

Cool

Wow,

I never had a problem like this from my Trick Flow Heads!

Bet AR was easy to deal with on the telephone....right????

Every time I deal with AR they are just plain exasperating.....so now I prefer to buy from Trick Flow. Plus they have the best water jackets of any head built for a Ford. Great cooling is essential to prevent warping aluminum heads.

Make sure to buy a compression guage and write down all your readings. Each cylinder should be within 5 lbs of one another. If not, keep readjusting the valve lash until they are all consistent. If you have hydraulics, make sure you fully unload the lifter and let it set for 20 minutes to go back to full height. Then find zero lash and add a half turn if using Cobra rockers. If using stock arms, 1/4 to 1/3 a turn is probably enough.
If you are using specialty lifters send me an email at jim_howard_pdx@yahoo.com and I will help you dial them in.

If you can afford a leak down guage, you should take readings from all 8 cylinders and write them down. Every month you race you should be comparing figures. This will tell you when you are having problems with guides, with valve faces, or cylinder sealing like rings and head gaskets.

Hope this helps. I cannot believe AR did not quality control their heads before they shipped them......OH YES I CAN.

BUYER BEWARE!!!!
Old 11-04-2002, 10:23 AM   #13
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

I pieced together the 347 kits myself....I to am adding a ATI to mine. A P1SC stage II to be exact. Hopefully that will make it scoot along pretty good.

I do have a compression guage and had correct pressure in all but 1 or 2 ports of the bad head. I am using Trick Flow Stud Mount 1.6 RR's and I can adjust them just fine.

AFR service techs and engineers blamed me to the heads not working properly. Said I didnt install the cam correctly..I had it degree'd in damn near perfect. They said it must have been my valve reliefs then and I probably bent the valves and I will have to ship them back and they will repair them and charge me. I told them my valve reliefs could handle the little 2.02 valves.. They told me to rip the head back off and check. So I took the head back off and everything was clean. Now I just ruined my damn Trick Flow gasket set. They informed me that NOTHING comes out of there shop that is not in perfect working condition. I brought up the studs and they shut up. So I sent the head back and they are going to send me a new one. I informed them I want another gasket set too!

1995 Chevy S-10
Old 11-04-2002, 10:28 AM   #14
Conman
Registered Member

good luck getting a gasket set out of them

'88 lx, Black on Black, check it out here

Spent all my money on school, what a dumb mistake

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 10:29 AM   #15
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Paying damn near 1500 for these heads and have the f' up I will be getting a gasket set..

1995 Chevy S-10
Old 11-04-2002, 01:24 PM   #16
jim_howard_pdx
Registered Member

Cool

Honestly, I would send back the AFR heads all together. Tell them you want your money back, and that you will tell ALL your Ford racing buddies about the way you have been treated. They are an arrogant bunch of monkeys.

My Trick Flow twisted wedge heads are pocket ported to the 1261 felpro gasket set. That is 1 7/16 wide by 2 1/4 inches tall. The only problem I had with these heads was that they would suck in the felpro ruberized paper gasket. Felpro is now selling an improved 1261S gasket. It is a stiff plasticized material that will not shear and suck in. It is teflon coated to allow you to pull your intake over and over again. I really love it so far, but I have yet to run the car at wide open throttle yet. I have got to get my ignition curve corrected so I don't go detonating and spin out another rod bearing.

My heads are now cc'd at 198 cc. They flow 249 cfm at 520 lift on the exhaust, and flow 304 cfm at .498 lift on the intake. This is way better than the 185 AFR. You would have to use their 205 units just to equal these numbers. By the way these figures are WITH simulated backpressure from intake and exhaust systems.

Many shops just report the cfm from the the direct ports without consideration to backpressure. This is cheating. An engine could never flow that with the exhaust and intake hooked up.

Listen up, Here is my speed secret for today.....

Back in the 70's we used to always buy high dome 12.5 to 1 pistons, machine them for the cam lift- valve clearance we needed and then used a dye grinder to totally smooth the remaining surgace of any edges that could radiate heat. At wide open throttle most of your metals are glowing, so cutting down any surface that could cause detonation will get you more reliability and greater power. We cut the dome smooth and removed enough metal to produce 0.08 quench with the compressed gasket. We shot to never have any area across the combustion chamber have more than 0.10 quench area. To do this we angle cut the heads sometimes as much as a quarter inch to reduce the wedge. We only needed enough wedge to have consistent and radial burn from the spark plug kernal to the piston edges. Running .080 quench was ideal.

That meant we had to machine the head bolt faces to reestablish square, and we had to counter angle mill the intake manifold and carefully line it up for proper port indexing.

When piston coatings first came out, we would coat both the entire surface of the piston and the entire top of the dome. We tried coating the valves but it did not affect HP whatsoever. We were using mostly SS and Titanium valves depending upon the use of the engine, and they did not seem to affect HP or torque But piston and combustion chamber coatings made a big difference. Often we could run an additional point of compression. Going from 11 to 12 to 1 compression was worth almost 30 horsepower on a 383 small block.

This is a good secret to share with you guys. Run a dished piston with less quench when you are building for torque, like you off road truck fiends, or you boat racers. Run a tight quench when you are after higher horsepower.

I do not know all the physics on flame travel under velocity and compressed combustion, but to keep things simple the flame travel is broader, slower, and the fuel burns more complete when you keep the quench area really tight. I learned that from watching a Smokey Yunick engine being torn down after winning its bracket at the Winternationals. I wish I could have taken pictures of that combustion chamber and piston top for you to see. The burn was from spark kernal to the extreme edge of the piston tops and there was no area of any piston that showed slow or incomplete combustion. That Smokey Yunick was a racing GOD. The man was a real genius when it came to making horsepower.

Anyone who has ever raced a Chevy knows who Smokey was. I also stole another of his race secrets. You can often pick up a tenth to three tenths of a second ET time just by equalizing the power among all 8 cylinders. It is much harder to do this than you think.

Most shops will cc each combustion chamber the same, they will cc each port the same, and then when the engine runs EVERY cylinder will build a different power profile.

Why? Because air and fuel do not like to bend and move around port opennings, valve pockets, or curved intake runners especially when each runner shows the fuel a different angle than the others.

The effect of the fuel movement from venturi booster to the piston cylinder walls are different for EVERY stinkin cylinder. The rich cylinders will produce both lower torque at every rpm range, and less total HP. The lean cylinders will show higher torque over some of the range but lower total HP. The optimum cylinders will show what we are all trying to accomplish. Excellent torque at all rpms and high top end HP. When you put it all together, you are sacraficing about 15 to 20 horsepower on a 383 stroker engine. But worse of all, all the changes you make to improve your ETs actually make the difference between cylinders greater.

To get each cylinder right, you may need to enlarge the cc's on some ports. To correct for intake flow patterns, you can use the holley venturi boosters with tabs to correct fuel distribution to the intake ports.

One of Smokey's best secrets were to run 1.6 rocker arms on the lean cylinders and 1.5 on the optimum cylinders. On the rich cylinders he would correct with venturi booster tabs.

For those of you with sequential direct port fuel injection, you can run the rich injectors on the lean cylinders and the lean injectors on the rich cylinders. Take your injectors off, take them to a shop specializing in cleaning and indexing. They will flow rate each injector for you. When you are done you will be amazed by how much smoother the engine runs, and how it feels like there is a hand pushing the car from behind.

To confirm that each cylinder is running equally, you start with plug reading. This is not easy to do with pump gas and all the additives they use to reduce pinging. I would run some 106 racing fuel to do the plug reading. If you are racing, then just pull the heads after every racing session. Look at your piston tops. We would do this just before every final.

I like to take temperatures at the first bend of each primary header tube at about 4500 to 5500 RPM after you sustain that RPM for at least 2 to 3 minutes. This will tell you which cylinders are lean and rich. On the dynos, we would use an air/fuel meter on each exhaust port, and read the port temperature. Even with this type of excellent measurement, you still do not know just how hard it is to equalize every cylinder. Engines are a curious mix of twisted snaked intakes and exhausts. And no two intake castings are ever alike. So remember that EVERYTHING changes when you increase your fuel pressure, or change manifolds or change jets or the like.

Even when we had things as good as we could get them on the dyno, we would sometimes add a little extra valve lash at the track if we found an exhaust port that was cooler than the rest. By slightly reducing the intake valve openning we could match the cylinders to the actual track conditions.

So now you know one more secret that adds up to consistency. You may look funny and get laughed at as you run your engine loud and hard and probe each header tube with a temperature probe. But they will not laugh as you pick up your trophy, they will just say, man I wish I knew what he was up to.

I hope this helps all of you realize just how complicated and exciting quench can be!

Go quench safely out there.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:31 PM   #17
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

I am going to give AFR one chance. If they will send me the gasket set I will comply. If they refuse to pay for the gasket sets that there heads ruined, I will send the other head back and get my money...

1995 Chevy S-10