MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-15-2002, 12:01 AM   #1
chickendreamer
Registered Member

Default Glass beading?

I have an oportunity to get my crankshaft and connecting rods glass-bead blasted. Is this worth it or just an old myth of producing power?
Old 11-15-2002, 09:55 AM   #2
MEDIK418
Registered Member

All it will do is clean it real good and put lots of sand in the oil holes.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 01:39 PM   #3
jim_howard_pdx
Registered Member

Cool

Some engineers swear that stress releaving metals makes them more resistant to damaging effects like cracked rods, cracked pistons, and cracked blocks or crankshafts.....

In the old days, forged pistons were determined necessary for blown applications. Forged pistons just went away on us. A forged piston is simply a cast blank that has been HAMMERED or SQUEEZED under pressure to collapse the grain structure of the metal into a tighter pattern.

We used to shot peen rods after polishing the beams to eliminate stress risers from the casting process. Even with forged rods, polishing the beams and shot peening seemed to work wonders.

Glass beading does not provide the same physical stress relieving qualities as shot peening, but soft parts cannot be shot peened, where they can be glass beaded. So glass bead the pistons if you want. Shot peen the rods. Glass bead the crank if you want.

Many engineers feel that cryogenically freezing the metal to minus 70 to 100 degrees celesius will also make stuff stronger.

Hope this helps.

I do shot peen all my racing rods, and bead blast the crank and pistons. Does it help, not sure, but it gives me a little more piece of mind.

Funny thing though, I seem to end up breaking stuff anyway.
I can break anything you can build. I promise you that! I baby my cars to death, then race them like they were disposables. Guess my desire to win, is greater than my need to baby stuff.