MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-09-2002, 11:09 PM   #1
87 GT MUSTANG
Registered Member

Default car stalls

Need help with this one. my car is a 1995 mustang gt and when i drive it for about 15 - 20 minutes the car just cuts out on me, there is still power but no throttle, the car just dies. I will pull over to the side of the road and try and start it back up and it turns over but it is like it is not getting a spark. I have replaced my plugs,wires,cap and rotor, and my coil is now 4 months old. I brought the car into ford today and they did a series of tests and they couldn't find anything, they checked the fuel pressure and that was fine, they checked my connections and those were also fine and they also did a test on the coil which also came back fine, they tried pulling some codes but there was nothing. Ford had also takin it out for a spin and the same thing happened to them, they told me there is nothing i can do unless i let them spend more time with the vehicle, what i would like to do b4 i let them do that is ask you guys for your help on what you might think it is.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:20 PM   #2
lx5091
Registered Member

2 things come to mind:

#1- fuel pump relay: you will here a click when you turn the key. Listen for the fuel pump to turn on when you turn the key to the [accessory] position. If it doesn't turn on everytime, the fuel pump relay is probably bad. (est. $14)

#2- TFI module on the distributor. Many Ford vehicles have these(including your mustang) and when they get old they get burnt out. What happens is when the car gets up to 200&#176 or so the car will die. You will not be able to restart it until it cools down. (est. $60)

Oh and if it is one of these, your dealer's mechanics are idiot's, shame on them!

I wonder if anyone could add to these? Hope I've helped.

'97 Saturn SL1--Soon to be ditched for a Ford!
lx5091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 11:23 PM   #3
mustanggt_50
Registered Member

i experienced a problem like that with my 87 Gt right after i put in the rebuilt motor, i would drive it for maybe 30 min to an hour then it would just stall, and do the same thing that you describes, it would only start back up after letting it sit for a min or two. anywho, i had a lot of stuff tested, they thought it was the tps, fuel filter, they checked the fuel pressure, said it was on the low side but should be ok. so i decided to replace the fuel pump and went to a 155lph, and the car hasnt stalled since. could be the same with yours, even though u did say the fuel pressure was fine, but i just thought i'd tell u about my simular experience.
87 GT T-roof (needs paint) lol, rebuilt motor and trans, AOD - stage 2 shift kit, 3.73 gears - auburn posi, Dynomax Super Turbo Cat Back, FRPP 155lph fuel pump, K&N filter - air silencer removed, subframe connectors, strut tower brace.

88 GT T-roof

1989 LX Coupe 5.0 - 5spd

Rice Haters Club member#105
mustanggt_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 05:21 PM   #4
stang4to8
Registered Member

Default stalling

sounds like the tfi module
Saleen/SVO 5 lug disc brakes
Saleen 5 lug mesh wheels
stang4to8 is offline   Reply With Quote