MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-11-2002, 08:25 PM   #1
Simi Stang

Default which A/C eliminator kit??

Hey guys-
I'm going to be ditching the a/c system in my '90 Mustang GT soon. It doesn't even work anyway. So, I was wondering which kit you guys recommend? The one that relocates you power steering pump up to the position that the a/c was in, like the FMS one? Or the one like MAC makes that has an idler pulley in place of the a/c with the power steering staying put. So let me know which one you guys are running, and about how long it took to do the job. Also is there anything "special" I need to know when removing all of the a/c lines and hoses? Plugging the outlets near the firewall? Any little tips that the instructions of those kits might have skipped over?

thanks-
Old 12-12-2002, 09:00 AM   #2
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

I used the March kit and it worked nicely. A pretty easy job to do on a Saturday morning.

My A/C lines were about empty, so I just disconnected everything with no issues. *Technically* I think you're supposed to get a special device that 'catches' all the pressurized chemicals.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 10:54 AM   #3
RED92LX50
Registered Member

Default I used the FMS kit

I used the FMS kit, and it turned out great. I believe the Stangs from the factory with the A/C delete option used this same kit. Also, when you are done, you just use the serpentine belt that was standard on non-A/C stangs (which the parts guy can easily lookup) - no need to measure or try various sizes.

As for the install, it is pretty easy once you figure out how to orient the bracket to the engine. And removal of the freon "should" be done by a professional - bu then again, the Speed Limit is 55MPH, so you "should" never go over that either...
R.H.C. #51
RED92LX50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 10:57 AM   #4
RED92LX50
Registered Member

Oh yeah, and I hack-sawed my A/C lines off at the firewall instead of buying the disconnect tool. You will have the same issue with the condensor (in front of the radiator) - unless you remove it at the same time. I just hacked those lines as well, and waited until I replaced my radiator to remove the condensor completely.
R.H.C. #51
RED92LX50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 02:02 PM   #5
spankaveli
Registered Member

i have the upr kit. from the way you decribe the mac kit, i guess theyre the same

heres a pic :
Old 12-12-2002, 04:31 PM   #6
drudis

You NEEEEEEEED one of these (that I just happen to have for sale...)

Contact me privately drudis@dariusrudis.com

I went a whole different route, and couldnt use that kit.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 06:02 PM   #7
lx5091
Registered Member

I just read this post for the first time, and I wanted to mention a caution to some of you. Basically, be carefull who you talk to when you say stuff like how you released the a/c system into the air! My father just finished school for his HVAC and I told him my brother-in-law let out his a/c system and my father told me not to mention that to anyone, 'cuz anyone could turn you in for a reward! He said that THEY don't have to prove you did it, YOU have to prove you DIDN'T do it (furnish receipt from shop)! And it's a $25,000-$50,000 fine and the person that reported it supposedly gets half! That's nasty stuff, I don't know if that's just MA or if it's Federal! Just a word to the wise!

'97 Saturn SL1--Soon to be ditched for a Ford!
lx5091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 06:04 PM   #8
spankaveli
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lx5091
I just read this post for the first time, and I wanted to mention a caution to some of you. Basically, be carefull who you talk to when you say stuff like how you released the a/c system into the air! My father just finished school for his HVAC and I told him my brother-in-law let out his a/c system and my father told me not to mention that to anyone, 'cuz anyone could turn you in for a reward! He said that THEY don't have to prove you did it, YOU have to prove you DIDN'T do it (furnish receipt from shop)! And it's a $25,000-$50,000 fine and the person that reported it supposedly gets half! That's nasty stuff, I don't know if that's just MA or if it's Federal! Just a word to the wise!
Damn, I could use some money. Maybe I should turn someone in. j/k.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:11 PM   #9
Simi Stang

Default which A/C eliminator kit??

Thanks for the info. guys. It's looking like I'll be taking up drudis on his offer. Thanks drudis.
As for the freon. My a/c hasn't worked in years and was emptied at a 76 station buy a certified mechanic. But that's good to know. Don't want to burn any more holes in that ozone!