MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-26-2002, 08:31 AM   #1
chuck88
Registered Member

Default hi flow cats street legal?

I have all my aoutomotive catalogs out and I can't seem to find any street legal high flow cats. Does anyone know if such a thing exists and where I can get them?

Thanks

Chuck88

Wife, 2 kids, busy job, "fixer upper" house, and I still have time for the Mustang!!!

I Love my kids!!!
chuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 09:16 AM   #2
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Most Fords, like the Mustang, have 2 cats on either side of the exhaust. From what I was told, you have to find the ones that are meant to replace two cats with one. I guess they are a little larger than the others, but still less restrictive than stock. Most, if not all, muffler shops should have them.

Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 12:43 PM   #3
Fox Hound
Registered Member

If you are talking about having a CARB number or something like that, then most of the brand named hi-flows don't have one. They may say its smog legal but they don't give any documentaion to prove it.

But, there is hope... One brand called Morflow makes a set and they have a CARB number to go with it. I think you'll have to order it from them if they are still in business. Try searching for them on the web. I think its http://morflow.com/.
Fox Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 12:01 AM   #4
toevil1
Registered Member

Technically you can not touch your cats until 50,000 miles or damaged, and must replace original cats with same number of cats. The muffler shop did not want to install my X-pipe w. cats because it is not smog certified in CA. After a little persuasion they did it anyway. My car passed it's smog test with just a little difference over the stock four cats. CA. is very strict while other states are not as bad. Check with your local DMV.
toevil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 07:50 AM   #5
chuck88
Registered Member

NJ and California may be equally as tough with emissions. Good news I found a shop that has street legal hi flow cats and an X pipe he has his deposit (another withdrawl from the bank) and the stuff is on order. Thanks for everybodies help and advice. It will cost me more to do it the right way but I must keep the car legal.

Chuck 88GT

Wife, 2 kids, busy job, "fixer upper" house, and I still have time for the Mustang!!!

I Love my kids!!!
chuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote