MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-06-2001, 08:54 AM   #1
jetuomi
Registered Member

Post Cold Air system question !!

Okay, this might be a silly question, but, here goes.

You know when you take your car out at like midnight during a cold fall day, the air is like 2 degrees celsius, and when the car warms up, it runs JUST AMAZING!! (ie: cold air)

Does a cold-air kit like MAC or BBK reproduce these results (as best as it can obviously) during the middle of the summer while you're blasting down the highway??
(so, there is air outside, its pretty cool)

Or, is that the dream that the cold-air kits hope to achieve??

I'm looking to get a Cold-Air, but if it doesn't do much, then I'll try maybe Ram-Air??

Thanks !!

------------------
94 Mustang GT (black on black)
K&N, MAC Shifter, FMS 9mm, 0017" rims, 3.27, 13*, MSD Coil, 180* thermostat, Clear Projectors, Euro Corners
jetuomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 11:04 AM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb

I'm not an engineer so I'm just going to give you an uneducated opinon here and that is that if the outside is hot and/or heavy (humid) the cold-air kit won't change that but since it pulls air from a lower point the air will be a bit denser/cooler and that always helps performance.
Most of the cold-air kits dyno out at about 3-4 HP gain over a stock filter system; I have the Moroso kit and it was tested by MM&FF with those results which I find to be realistic.

I like my kit ($95. and easy installation) especially at WOT (sounds like a 850 cfm carb at full cry) but I have no illusions that it makes me much faster, just a bit more efficient and that's all I expected.
Ram Air won't do a lot more for you and has some problems with sucking up water and leaves from it's low-hanging intake, but some Mustangers swear by them. Your call.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 11:16 AM   #3
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

On my ram air, I have never sucked up any leaves. I cant say much for water because my car never leaves the garage when its raining. I couldnt tell ya if it made a difference or not because all of my mods came at one time and I have no idea out of all my mods which made the biggest difference.

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley AFPR, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 73mm Vortech MAF, 70mm TB, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, AC and Smog del, rear seat del.
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 11:46 AM   #4
jimberg
Registered Member

A cold air intake kit basically does what your stock intake does. It sucks air from your fender where it isn't heated up by the engine. It's cold relative to taking air from inside engine compartment which some of the conical filter setups do. If they produce more power, it is probably more likely because of the smooth tubes reducing turbulence in the intake.

Ram air is only really good at high speeds (above 100mph).

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 12:06 PM   #5
jetuomi
Registered Member

okay, thanks guys, that all makes sense, BUT, I forgot to mention, and I'm sure you all agree, that the MAC kit just looks cool too!!

Old 07-06-2001, 12:11 PM   #6
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

I heard somewhere that ram air starts working well at about 60mph. And it doesnt work well if it has to travel through more than 4ft of hose. But the ram air kits only have about 2ft of hose.

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley AFPR, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 73mm Vortech MAF, 70mm TB, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, AC and Smog del, rear seat del.
Old 07-06-2001, 12:24 PM   #7
jetuomi
Registered Member

dawg, who's RAM-AIR kit do you use???

Old 07-06-2001, 12:33 PM   #8
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Made my own ram air. Looks exactly like march's.

------------------