MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-10-2003, 03:30 AM   #1
fiveoboy01

Arrow NOT your typical charging system question...

I am sort of stumped at this, and not sure what to think.

I sold the gauge cluster out of my '88 GT. I am now told that a wire runs from the alternator into the cluster, through a resistor and the idiot light, back to the alternator.

Consequently, the alternator will not charge without this circuit in place.

So, if it's true, I need to find out what to do. There are two large electrical plugs that run through the gauge cluster, and I need to find which two are for this circuit. I'm told that I need to pull the two wires from the plug, and join them with a resistor(510 OHM). If anyone can verify this, possibly get ahold of a wiring diagram or something, I'd be extremely grateful.

TIA.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:03 AM   #2
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

Yes, this is true. I replaced my cluster with a custom Autometer gauge cluster set. I ran in to this problem myself...

All I did was make a little jumper wire from the alt wire to a 12v source. This makes the same connection but just without the resistor. If you wanna use the resistor anyways, below is a ZIP file that has the wireing diagrams in it. Hope this helps you out...

http://members.mustangworks.com/cybe...Dashwiring.zip
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 02:08 PM   #3
mpj76
Registered Member

I discovered the same problem when I was changing out my heater core and had to drive to work without a dash. When I reconnected the instrument cluster, one of the thin contacts was severed. I noticed my volt meter was too low. If you need to drive the car before you finish the wiring, you can still get it to charge. There are two easy ways. 1.) Blip your throttle to redline once or twice. It will excite the alternator to charge (I discovered this because I got mad at my car after yet ANOTHER problem). OR 2.) Bypass the circuit (make your own) : Manually excite the alternator by running a lead from the positive terminal from your battery (assuming it's not dead) to one of the wires (splice into it - can't remember exactly which) that connects into the back of your alternator. Good luck.
mpj76 is offline   Reply With Quote