MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-14-2003, 01:25 PM   #1
RMARIANI
Registered Member

Question Caster/Camber necessary with FMS Springs??

Will Caster/Camber plates be necessary if I install the Ford Racing springs on my '89 GT? They only drop the car 7/8" front and 1/2" rear. I don't want to drop my car any lower. Also, what is the difference between the regular spring kit (FMS-M5300B) and the "Super Sports" (FMS-M5300C)? Price difference is 1 dollar at Summit. Summit also recommends Koni struts and shocks. Any comments on that? Thanks.
RMARIANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 01:52 PM   #2
drudis

Go to the Corner-Carvers forrum and do a search. You should find my manufacturer and spring rate table.

You _might_ get away without CC plates. Mostly, they are used to not wear the insides of your tires when lowered.
(to head off a new thread) get the Maximum Motorsport ones!
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 03:17 PM   #3
crazypete
Registered Member

I put in fms-c springs and I love them. Expect tons of complaints from the girlfriend as these things beat your @$$ to a pulp on these crappy boston roads. Then again, If you want creature comfort, buy a towncar,not a mustang!

I'm running the stock plates, but I dont see any unusual wear patterns (...yet). Driving at 85 mph is interesting and keeps you on your toes as the car will follow every crack and groove in the highway (I didnt realign it), but it will "carve corners" like crazy. Taking a full circle highway exit at 60mph, the body simply does not roll at all. Lots of tire screeching and so forth but no body roll.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 04:35 PM   #4
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

Default Re: Caster/Camber necessary with FMS Springs??

Quote:
Originally posted by RMARIANI
Will Caster/Camber plates be necessary if I install the Ford Racing springs on my '89 GT? They only drop the car 7/8" front and 1/2" rear. I don't want to drop my car any lower. Also, what is the difference between the regular spring kit (FMS-M5300B) and the "Super Sports" (FMS-M5300C)? Price difference is 1 dollar at Summit. Summit also recommends Koni struts and shocks. Any comments on that? Thanks.

The B springs are progressive rate and the c springs are not. Basically the c springs are stiffer. This only applies to the fronts. The rears are the same in both sets. I just got the B set for mine but have not put em on yet.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 08:27 PM   #5
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

To the people who run FMS B or C springs, does your car ever bottom out? How about with 4 people in the car, taking a dip in the road at 50mph? Also, how is clearance REALLY affected? Do you scrap a lot up driveways, etc? If so, how serious are the touchdowns and what parts are scratched/damaged?
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 09:31 PM   #6
srv1
Get down.....

Quote:
Originally posted by GhettoPop
To the people who run FMS B or C springs, does your car ever bottom out? How about with 4 people in the car, taking a dip in the road at 50mph? Also, how is clearance REALLY affected? Do you scrap a lot up driveways, etc? If so, how serious are the touchdowns and what parts are scratched/damaged?
i have the B springs. with 4 people in the car, it never bottoms out unless i hit a big bump. the front air damn(LX) hits when i enter driveways. Also parking curbs is another thing to watch out for. Really i dont have any problems with them at all, you just got to be a little more cautious. I live in NY and i know what bad roads are!!

Clearence i have no problems with the 10 holes. i will be putting on 99 Cobras soon. I did install the rear rims(Cobra's) with 245/45 and i had no problems with fender lip, quad shock or tailpipe. The tailpipe was really close. every exhaust is different so that may be a problem for you.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:48 AM   #7
crazypete
Registered Member

c springs...no chance of bottoming out. The tail end does not "compress" like it does with those soft squishy stock springs. No thing that is super important, though, put the rubber isolators back in. Without them, I dont scrape...I grind everytime I take a turn.

Granted....My car is now 400lbs lighter, so it helps things along greatly
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 03:30 PM   #8
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

I have the B springs on my car, only on the rear for now. I had a broken rear spring, and the B springs raised the car vs the old broken shot stock springs.

I used the Energy Suspension urethane Isolators as well. The front springs are going on soon, had to take a detour to replace the transmission first

The car bottoms less and tracks better vs the old springs. I am very happy as I did not really want to drop the car too much, and the FMS springs were cheaper than stock replacments.

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 11:14 AM   #9
Conman
Registered Member

this is just a note for people that scrape their lowered car

you need to change your driving style a little. For driveways and speed bumps try going at them at an angle, one tire at a time. The more agressive the angle the less you will scrape the front valence. The only thing this doesn't work for is scraping exhaust over huge speed bumps but that shouldn't be a problem with FMS springs.

A dude I know has a porche that is really low. We always laugh about him going over bumps "sideways". Either way his car is better than mine so I can't laugh too loud

'88 lx, Black on Black, check it out here

Spent all my money on school, what a dumb mistake

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 11:39 AM   #10
drudis

Yeah, talk about being careful about low ride heights... I watch for everything!

That, and crappy roads, practically stops me from enjoying driving it to work in full race trim... Bent a freakin' wheel on a pothole
Old 01-17-2003, 11:45 AM   #11
Conman
Registered Member

hey Darius, how much you want to sell your car for??

'88 lx, Black on Black, check it out here

Spent all my money on school, what a dumb mistake

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 12:01 PM   #12
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

I'm thinking about installing a set of FMS B or C springs and a pair of Maximum Motorsports C/C plates in my stock 90 GT. Are any other things required for a proper alignment and handling, such as a bumpsteer kit or longer ball joints????? Keep in mind this will be a daily driver.
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 12:21 PM   #13
drudis

IMOHO you'll be fine with those parts.
I started off with Eibach 450-580# springs and MM c/c plates, and that was fine.