MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-22-2003, 02:58 PM   #21
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

pretty much. I told him it is not a done deal until I test drive the car and look it over. I am driving 2 1/2 hours to meet him halfway and then I will test drive it there. He was nice enought to mmet me halfway! Anyways, I will bring the 6400 with me and the deal will be finalized then (if I want it!) So, in other words, it will be finalized this Saturday barring bad weather.
90 lx hatch, holley systemax II kit, rebuilt 302, BBK 155 lph fuel pump, pro M bullet mass meter wtih BBk cold air intake, 30 # injectors, 70 mm TB, jacobs ignition system, edelbrock water pump, BBk longtube headers with h-pipe, flowmasters, b&m ripper shifter, 3.55 gears, Proform electric fan, subframe connectors/removed smog pump and ac!

75 shot of nitrous!

13.2 at 112 1/4 mile- no traction!
1jimmy__d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 06:47 PM   #22
Simi Stang

Default plugs

Quote:
Originally posted by 1jimmy__d
Thanks for all replies. I think bringing a rachet is a good idea. I know that if it has oil on it, it is a bad sign right? too dark=rich, light color=rich?? I'm probably totally worng, but will pull it anyways.

thanks again
You're on the right track. Yes oil on the plugs is BAD! Dark brown is not good either. Could mean it's running rich. A light brown (tan) on the plugs is fine. Means it is running good. Look at the metal tip on the plug too. Make sure there are not any little deposits on there, like miniature chunks of metal, alum. But some fuel additives (like octane booster & fuel inj. cleaner) can cause chunks of stuff to collect on the tips of the plugs too. But those are usually brownish or a tan little specs...and they won't look like metal or aluminum specs. You should pick yourself up a Chiltons manual if you are going to end up with this Mustang. They have example pictures of spark plugs and what the diagnosis is according to what they look like. The Chiltons is, in my opinion...much better (more informative & simpler) than the Haynes manuals. Of course the dealer manuals are obviously the best...but they are a little pricey. Good luck and let us know the outcome!
Old 01-23-2003, 08:26 AM   #23
Tim89LXvert
Registered Member

Default Re: plugs

Quote:
Originally posted by Simi Stang
You should pick yourself up a Chiltons manual if you are going to end up with this Mustang. They have example pictures of spark plugs and what the diagnosis is according to what they look like. The Chiltons is, in my opinion...much better (more informative & simpler) than the Haynes manuals. Of course the dealer manuals are obviously the best...but they are a little pricey. Good luck and let us know the outcome!
I second that!
Engine: GT40 al. heads, Cobra intake, TFS cam, 1.7RR, etc.... LOLDrivetrain: SPEC II clutch & FMS Billet flywheel, Pro 5.0 shifter w/Cobra knob and aluminum driveshaft through 3.73:1 gears.Chassis: 4 wheel disk w/Cobra front brakes, GT rears and 2001 "Bullitt" wheels
Rear: MM adjustable LCAs with Griggs springs, KYB shocks. Front: Koni red struts, FMS "C" springs and full poly bushings. Full length MM sub frame connectors, steeda 2pt. K-brace.Misc.: 130a alt. upgrade, R134a conversion.
Photos of my car
Tim89LXvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 12:05 PM   #24
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

looks like from how he described the plugs that they are slightly brown (which is good!) i will bring a rachet to make sure though. any particles on them means crappy and dont buy it right? I may see ti in 2 days depending on the weather.

I want to hit 12's in this baby if she is everything she is advertised as!!! are my expectation too high???
90 lx hatch, holley systemax II kit, rebuilt 302, BBK 155 lph fuel pump, pro M bullet mass meter wtih BBk cold air intake, 30 # injectors, 70 mm TB, jacobs ignition system, edelbrock water pump, BBk longtube headers with h-pipe, flowmasters, b&m ripper shifter, 3.55 gears, Proform electric fan, subframe connectors/removed smog pump and ac!

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 01-25-2003, 07:32 PM   #25
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

well, the car is in the garage now. drove it home 21/2 hrs and it ran fine. temp gauge stayed at about 175-180. he said that in the summer time at stop and go traffic the temp rises somwhat to 210 or so. is this ok? also the brakes are new all the way around, however it pulls to the left slightly when stopping (no big deal). there is a slight whistle like the blower is on when the car is at idle and running for that matter. he said that it was the intake and there is nothing to worry about. the interior is mint, paint in excellent shape and pretty damn fast. i noticed a huge difference from my stang shifting to 3rd on the highway and then punching it. really flies! also, when started up it somwtimes "hunts" for idle, then it is fine after 15 secs or so, but not all the time. how does she sound to you guys?

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 01-25-2003, 08:51 PM   #26
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Overall it doesn't sound too bad. I would be a little concerned about the "hunting for idle". As far as the temp, if it has pullies that is typical. I would keep my eye on it anyways. My car pulled a little when I hit the brakes but quit once I changed them out, so I don't know what that is all about. Is the "whistle" coming from the front or back of the car? If it is coming from the back it is probably your fuel pump. Mine has been doing that for the 2 years I've had it and I have never had a problem with it. Congrats on the new (to you) stang!!

Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 09:45 PM   #27
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

it did it once when i started it. jumped up and down from 1 grand to 1500 then idles fine after a few seconds. the whistle is from the motor, he said it was the intake. sounds like the blower is on sort of. the car does have pullies. maybe i will buy an electric fan for it f i have to if the temp gets too high. any idea what this motor should redline at? Is it still 6 grand. it seems to pull all the way to over 5000 rpm's, which my old stang did not. well, i will have to wait a couple months b4 driving her around
i better not have but a lemon!!!!

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 01-26-2003, 10:46 AM   #28
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

You can do a search on old post about the whistle. My BBK 75mm TB used to do it and it sounds like a blower. When I switched from a GT-40 to a Performer Intake it went away. I have heard that the cause is the idle air bypass. They make a spacer that is supposed to correct this, but i did not install because it went away with the intake change. I know BBK sells this spacer and have seen it at www.jegs.com . Sounds like you got a killer deal on the car(Minus the stripes ) I paid 8800$ for mine and all it had was a K&N. Congrats on your new purchase

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 12:08 PM   #29
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

wow, after doing the search i found a ton of BBK TB info. I learned that it is crap, but im keeping it anyways I guess i am used to the stock motor running smooth and idling perfect and quiet. I will just have to get used to my new horses under my hood How many do you think I have with all the mods done to it????

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 01-27-2003, 02:50 PM   #30
Simi Stang

Default hp guess

Quote:
I will just have to get used to my new horses under my hood How many do you think I have with all the mods done to it????
Congrats on the new ride! I'd guess that you had somewhere around 300-320hp. I think the 30lb. injectors that are in the motor are a bit large for your application. I'd replace them with 24lbers unless you plan on putting a blower on anytime soon. The 30lb. injectors might kill your gas mileage.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:02 AM   #31
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

That's it?? I thought this syemax II was supposed to produce 350 horsepower alone! Plus with everything else it has I thought it would be in the 350 range at least! Anyone think i can hit 12's on the motor?

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 01-28-2003, 05:16 PM   #32
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

Default Re: hp guess

Quote:
Originally posted by Simi Stang
I think the 30lb. injectors that are in the motor are a bit large for your application. I'd replace them with 24lbers unless you plan on putting a blower on anytime soon. The 30lb. injectors might kill your gas mileage.

He is right. I am still running the stock 19# and made 300RWHP. Thats around 340 at the flywheel. Unless you want a blower, take off the 30# and get a set of 24#'s

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 05:55 PM   #33
Simi Stang

Default Holley Systemax

Quote:
That's it?? I thought this syemax II was supposed to produce 350 horsepower alone! Plus with everything else it has I thought it would be in the 350 range at least! Anyone think i can hit 12's on the motor?
Yes, with a set of slicks and depending on the altitude of your local track...you should be able to get some 12 sec. time slips. Even though Holley claims 350hp...don't believe everything you read. If you're thinking that you should be in "the 350 range at least"...that's a little bit of wishful thinking. Making 350-360hp. at the flywheel without a blower or nitrous...would probably call for some type of stroker motor. Definitely a more radical combo than what you are running. You still have a great set up, don't get me wrong...but your more in the category of my set up (check out my sig), being that you don't have the manifold or heads ported or anything. But I'd still guess you're pushing over 300hp., but 350 or more is a little optimistic. Get that thing to the track and let us know what she runs!