MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-23-2003, 06:22 PM   #1
VeNuM
Registered Member

Default Burned Wire

Ok, so I thought I had a dead fuel pump, turns out, something was burning my console under my e-brake, my car isn't going anywhere, so I pulled it up to see wires burned together and the carpet and plastic burned to heck. I take the drivers seat out to find the wires leading to the fuel pump relay socket. I'm clueless on what to do and I when I turned the key, the car started, fuel pump worked, and the wires got HOT! (I know I don't have the fuel pump relay in there in the pic) Please help me!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1010280 (wince).jpg (10.0 KB, 25 views)

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 06:24 PM   #2
VeNuM
Registered Member

I've been thinking that this could be a cutoff for the fuel pump, and it burned the crappy tape that the guy pump on it, causing the wires to not come in contact, im not electrical genious, anybody who can chip in here, it will greatly appreciated. ~Brian

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 08:12 PM   #3
srv1
Get down.....

Exclamation

two things happens demand was more that supply(bad pump) or it shorted to ground. How many miles on the fuel pump? If the pump is working, and it is straining to pump the fuel(e.g. plugged sock or filter) then it needs more electricty. more electricty means more amps.

First, check that circuit to see if any shorts are to ground. if not, disconnect the inertia switch(those wires run in series to power the pump). if the wire still gets hot after you repaired it, then its a short to ground, if not, its a pump. ALWAYS replace the fuel filter when changing a pump!

James