MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-21-2003, 11:06 AM   #1
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Post Please Help!!! Gradual engine rebuild?

Hey guys. My friend is looking to do some upgrades to his 94 GT. It has 100,000 miles on it but it runs very well (it used to be mine ). A plan developed to slowly replace the engine part by part, and slowly increase the power as well. He was thinking about replacing the heads first. I was wondering if there is any issue with changing the set up of the motor without changing other things such as the chip etc. Can a swap like that be done easily? Will it improve horsepower well if he got a good performance brand? I have no engine experience myself and he has some (mostly a late 60's corvette). I am looking to learn as much as I can. If you can give any help or experiences with a gradual engine rebuild please do!!!!!

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Temple University School of Medicine (start August 27th )
Rice Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 01:40 PM   #2
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

heads and intakes and such arent DIFFICULT... mostly time consuming.. specialy if you've never done them before... it's a matter of taking it apart and putting it back together... there's tons of little hoses and sensors all over the place. I think an important thing if you dont know mustangs well, is to take pictures of everything before you take it apart... preping the block and heads is another important part.. I just mean, scraping off all the old gaskets and cleaning the surfaces and such... there's so many people here that can answer all your questions about the exact process... I'm simplifying things.. but I think your best bet is to find someone who lives near you and offer them beer and pizza (wich is the going rate for help these days) and have them help you out...

ANother thing that makes life easier is the right tools... certain things you can rent.. but if you start to get into this stuff it'll pay to buy them... like a torque wrench, and a floor jack and stuff like that
-as
Old 02-24-2003, 09:12 AM   #3
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Hey thanks man. I'll definately take pictures, good idea (thankfully the GT is more photogenic than I am ). Do you know of any places I could get some fairly detailed instructions/pictures on either the engine or an engine rebuild? I would just like to see what all is involved right now. If I don't have to buy a manual yet, that would be great. If anyone else has some info they wouldn't mind showing, it would be greatly appreciated!

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Temple University School of Medicine (start August 27th )
Rice Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 09:32 AM   #4
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I dont know of any sites in particular... though one of those CHILTON manuals might be a good investment.. they cant be that much... it's like 15 bucks... it should have nice diagrams and torque specs.. wich is something you'll need... and it doenst go bad... you'll use it again...
-as