MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-15-2001, 01:09 AM   #1
crewzin
Registered Member

Angry oiling things down

Just put 250 miles on the new 347 from Coast High. Ive got oil coming out the front, back and sides of this damm thing. Edelbrock suggests putting sealant at the front of the intake instead of the cork gaskets, did that now its leaking front and back. Also this thing has a lot of blowbye.Do you guys know if this normal for a while or is it common on these strokers.Whats the best way to seal this intake up. Also front seal is leaking around pan. Damm expensive way to spray down Cameros with oil!
crewzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 08:40 AM   #2
stanglx347

I have had two 347 motors, my current one has only been on the road for three weeks, but it seems to be doing fine so far...no oil leaks that is. My previous 347 lasted for almost seven years with two years being driven on street and it never leaked oil.

Both motors seem to burn a little oil all tho my current one is to new to tell just yet. I did not use the 'oil-control' pistons that Coast High advertises so that may account for me burning some oil, but it never seemed to really affect performance.

Whenever a motor is leaking oil externelly, then gaskets or sealer was not properly setup. My engine builder used Cork on the front and back of the intake, but also put a coat of thin sealer on the top and bottom of the cork, so far zero leaks.

As for the blowbye, I guess you are talking about oil vapor getting past the piston rings. That would have allot to do with how much pressure is building up in the crankcase I think. Just make sure you have valve covers that are adequetly ventilated and maybe a vacuum line for crankcase ventilation.

Just my two cents.

James
Old 07-16-2001, 06:43 AM   #3
crewzin
Registered Member

Thanks stanglx347 for the input. This is my first 347 and so far its been a pain in the a$$. I bought the full long block assenbly from Coast with a new Probe 7qt oil pan. Im going to call edelbrock about the directions on the intake and get there input as well on the sealer. Damm thing runs good though.
crewzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 03:18 PM   #4
foxandfoe
Registered Member

i've tried that silcon trick on ford 302s it
doesn't work the gap is to wide. works good on chevys though. use the cork or {better)
rubber gaskets and a little sealer esp wear they meet the intakes.
foxandfoe is offline   Reply With Quote