MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-01-2003, 10:23 AM   #1
UglyFast88
Registered Member

Default Camshaft question

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a new camshaft for my rebuild.
I'll have a 306 .030 with hypereutectics on a speed density '88 LX. I plan on running either a Cobra intake or an Edelbrock or Typhoon (I know about the Typhoons' flaking away...) intake set and I need to decide on which cam I should pick between the E-303 cam, or the B-303 cam. I will mainly be driving the car on the street, but will probably drag on weekends. I plan on not eliminating the 6,250 shutoff, so I'll probably be shifting around 5500 rpm. Also, what valve springs should I match with the cam?

Car will also have:

Cobra roller rockers
ported and polished E7's
19 lb injectors
H-pipe and Flows
electric fan
speed density!

Whatcha think?

I know- another 19lb injected speed density...

Thanx!

1998 Explorer motor
1.7 Roller Rockers
GT-40 lower ported & polished
Cobra upper intake
MAC CAI
Aluminum Pullies
FRPP P-Shortys
Cop car cam (to insult)
Competition Engineering F/R adjustables
Flowmasters
New black carpet
and...

'84 Racin' Tempo seats!

Cars' best run in 2002 with stock 150,000 mile 302 with pullies, exhaust and roller rockers only...

13.27 at 101.5 mph
UglyFast88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 10:38 AM   #2
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

Hi, Do yourself a favor and switch over to mass air. You will be happier you did... My speed density was horrible after a cam and other modifications.. You are won't run right and you won't see what your car can really do. also if you gunna install a CAM, I would recomend upgrading your injectors but one size (#24lb) with matching mass air. your gunna be adding more air so you'll need more fuel or you'll burn up them headgaskets and melt pistons. I have found that using #24 injectors i gained MPG and the car was alot more responsive.. Also if your car is AOD car, mass air is needed cause you won't be able to keep your car stopped at a light cause of surging... take my advice.. MASS AIR!! good luck!
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 10:49 AM   #3
UglyFast88
Registered Member

I dunno-

There is someone here running a virtually stock 302 with P/P E7's on speed density, I think on an E cam and running low 12's. I do retain the right to run mass air, and may end up switching over. But, it's kind of like an "everybody has a fast mass air Mustang- be different" thing. But maybe there's a reason everyone's running mass-air.

Wait a minute- if I wanted to be original, I wouldn't have a Mustang... I'd build, like, a Lincoln Versailles drag car or something...

Come on 88workcar... help me out here!

(And I do apologize to my car for the 2nd paragraph... please don't grenade on me!)

1998 Explorer motor
1.7 Roller Rockers
Cobra upper intake
MAC CAI
Aluminum Pullies
FRPP P-Shortys
Cop car cam (to insult)
Flowmasters
New black carpet
and...

'84 Racin' Tempo seats!

Cars' best run in 2002 with stock 150,000 mile 302 with pullies, exhaust and roller rockers only...

13.27 at 101.5 mph

Last edited by UglyFast88; 03-01-2003 at 11:08 AM..
Old 03-01-2003, 11:02 AM   #4
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

your right on saying why does everyone have a mass air car.. The mass air computers don not take to mods well at all.. And especially a Cam. The guy your talking about I don't think is running low 12's on speed density without many or major hassles. The aftermarket Cam is gunna pull alot of differnt vaccum where your speed density MAP sensor is gunna trip out on.. Also you will have surging to stall problems. that can be fixed with a adjustable fuel pressure regulator cause the stock one closes up with such vaccum and causes your car to stall and surge to death. Its just so much more user friendly and safer to go mass air right from the begining... you can try the speed density but i wouldn't recomend it..
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 11:07 AM   #5
UglyFast88
Registered Member

Hmmm....

Point taken. 88workcar where are you?

Okay- here's the whole thing-

Stock 302 bored .030 over
10:1 compression with Keith Black pistons
Stock crank turned .010
Ported and polished E7's
Cobra upper and lower intake (own) OR Edelbrock / Typhoon polished intake (to buy)
Cobra roller rockers
Shorty headers
Bassani H pipe
Flowmasters
Electric fan
Stock ignition system
Stock 19 lb. fuel system
Stock fuel pump
No A/C

Throw me some recommendations!

1998 Explorer motor
1.7 Roller Rockers
Cobra upper intake
MAC CAI
Aluminum Pullies
FRPP P-Shortys
Cop car cam (to insult)
Flowmasters
New black carpet
and...

'84 Racin' Tempo seats!

13.27 at 101.5 mph

Last edited by UglyFast88; 03-01-2003 at 11:17 AM..
Old 03-02-2003, 08:54 PM   #6
drtbiker
Registered Member

dont get the b303 if ur not going to get rid of the rev limiter, once the cam starts to pull it pulls me right to 6250 cut out

just my 02

later
mods: 3:73's, off road h-pipe, b303 cam in gt- 40 motor w/ Power Plus intake, edelbrock 70mm tb & egr spacer, 72mm C&L, bbk long tubes, tremec tranny, centerforce dual friction clutch, upr and lwr CA's 255lph FP and soon more to come.... when i have money again

SOME ADVICE
Don't do burn outs in reverse it is very expensive
New times with dead hook on dr's 13.27@103 with 2.0 60 foots w/100lb system

Fastest time to date: 12.8@113
drtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 01:10 AM   #7
Technick
Registered Member

Speed density works fine at wide open throttle on a modified engine, will run like crap at idle and part throttle. ALL hydraulic roller cams (excuse me, MOST) especially the alphabet cams (B,E, X,Z ect) and MOST aftermarket cams will nose over and be all done after 6,500 rpm. The reason is that these cams are designed for the "stock" 5.0 computer and valvetrain. The weight of the roller lifters themselves limit the amout of rpm that the engine will rev. If you get more valvespring pressure to offset the weight f the hyd. roller lifter, then you usuall collaspe the lifter from to much spring weight. Besides, the cam profile itself is all done just after 6,500 rpm. I once put solid roller lifters on a Hyd. roller cam in a carberated application trying to get more rpm's out of the cam by going to the much lighter solid roller lifters and ethe engine stilll nosed over after 6,500 rpm. Just not enough duration, the lobe seperation angle is for computer cars not carbs, ect. ect.