MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-18-2003, 04:41 PM   #1
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Default Header question

I have a set of MAC equal length shorties installed right now and they look like **** and I really didn't notice that much gain after installation. I've been thinking about getting some new headers, but dont know what to get. It is a toss-up between longtubes and unequal shorties. I dont need brand advice, I've read enough testimonials. What are the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other? Examples are ease of installation, hp gain/loss, tq gain/loss. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 11:21 PM   #2
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

Well, mac long tubes are definitely a royal PITA. I can testify to that.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:34 PM   #3
MEDIK418
Registered Member

The Green thing had a set of BBK equal length shorties before this past week. During the transmission removal, my son noticed someone had welded the exhaust pipe to the collector on the right side header. Instant POS. We had to tear up the pipes to get everything out so I bought him a set of BBK long tubes and H-pipe . . . sort of an early birthday present. Anyway, this was a good chance to compare the two and I can't tell much difference. It seems to have picked up a little in the middle but I think it lost some low end. Not much at all but the urgency it had before seems to have softened a little. He thinks it runs better and he would know better than me. It does sound a little deeper, kinda like we added a few cubic inches. All in all, the sound was the biggest change I can see. Noone has run it hard yet (needs two tires) but that might change this weekend. Test and Tune day in Amarillo.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 12:34 AM   #4
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Quote:
Originally posted by MEDIK418
The Green thing had a set of BBK equal length shorties before this past week. During the transmission removal, my son noticed someone had welded the exhaust pipe to the collector on the right side header. Instant POS. We had to tear up the pipes to get everything out so I bought him a set of BBK long tubes and H-pipe . . . sort of an early birthday present. Anyway, this was a good chance to compare the two and I can't tell much difference. It seems to have picked up a little in the middle but I think it lost some low end. Not much at all but the urgency it had before seems to have softened a little. He thinks it runs better and he would know better than me. It does sound a little deeper, kinda like we added a few cubic inches. All in all, the sound was the biggest change I can see. Noone has run it hard yet (needs two tires) but that might change this weekend. Test and Tune day in Amarillo.
Let me know the difference after you run it. I think this will be a good chance for comparison. I'd appreciate it.

Caymon
Old 03-24-2003, 12:38 AM   #5
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

How did the longtubes work out at the track? Was it a better time?