MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-13-2003, 10:03 PM   #1
Jamie_DTR
Registered Member

Default Catalytic Convertor Question

I'm new to this form, so I'm sorry if this question has been already answered. I have a 1994 Mustang GT 5.0 liter, and am wondering about removing the catalytic converter. If I remove them, will it affect my performance (in a negative way)? Will it cause problems with the emmission sensors on my car? I know most stats don't allow this, but they don't check us here. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie
Jamie_DTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 10:07 PM   #2
Sicy Stang
Sizzlin' Sicilian

Default Re: Catalytic Convertor Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamie_DTR
Will it cause problems with the emmission sensors on my car? I know most stats don't allow this, but they don't check us here.
Yes. But if they dont smog you where you live then you have no problems.

Supposably taking them off is supposed to give you a little more horsepower but I'm not so sure I notice a difference.
Sicy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 12:44 AM   #3
geronimo-70
Registered Member

You will get more HP, and more mpg to boot. It will get a little louder too, but not much. I noticed 1-2 mph, and better throttle response, not a big deal, but every little bit helps. The electric fan was a better mod, on the SOTP dyno. The sum of all mods is more than a 1 plus 1 effect.
geronimo-70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 05:46 AM   #4
V8Mustang
Registered Member

You could add a high flow x or h cat pipe, like MAC or VRS. The o/r pipe will pick up power anywhere from 10 to 20 hp.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:35 AM   #5
Jamie_DTR
Registered Member

Ok, I was under my car over the weekend looking, and it looks as if there are sensors plumbed directly to the cats. Is this right or are the lines for something different? If they are sensors, and I remove the cats, what happens to the sensors? Do you mount them somewhere else or eliminate them altogether?

V8Mustang, can you REALLY experience 10-20 hp increase by adding a high-flow exhaust? Seems high, but I'm not that familiar with how cars are. I know snowmoiles extremely well, but cars are a little different. When you refer to a "high flow x or h cat pipe" is that just a configuration of how the exhaust is layed out or is that a model name from a company?

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Jamie
Old 04-14-2003, 12:28 PM   #6
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I dunno about the SN95 mustangs but the fox bodies have two cats per pipe.. and the O2 sensor is BEFORE the cats.. so removing the cats wont mess up the computer... as for HP gains... theoreticaly you should gain some... but what you gain the most is volume.. though I like the sound... so it's cool for me... I know some later model cars have O2 sensors after the cats.. but I dont think they do in your car..not posative about that though.. just look under there....

any new OFF ROAD H pipe will come with the nuts welded on so install the O2 sensors.. you need those regardless of cats or not
-as
Old 04-15-2003, 07:32 PM   #7
Jamie_DTR
Registered Member

Geronimo-70

You mentioned that the electric fan was a better mod. What mod is done to the electric fan?

Thanks,

Jamie
Old 04-15-2003, 10:22 PM   #8
TwiLighTBluEGT
Registered Member

Jamie, what he means is he added an electric fan to his car. 94 and up stangs come with electic fans stock, but us pre-94 stangers have a belt driven fan. So upgrading to an electric fan on a pre-94 stang is good for a little more hp.

As for the "sensors" you see connected to your cats, those aren't sensors. If I'm not mistake, there should be a small diameter pipe connecting the two cats and the air pump, aka smog pump is connected to the pipe as well.

The only o2 sensors on a your car should be before the first two cats on your h-pipe. Jack up your car and look for yourself.

Hope this helps....

Engine: FMS 65mm tb/spacer, C&L 73mm maf, MAC cai.

Drivetrain: Built AOD w/ Edge 2800rpm lockup converter, hardened 3-4 inner shaft, Trans-Go shift kit, B&M supercooler, FMS 3.73 gears & aluminum d/s, rebuilt traction lock.

Exhaust: BBK unequal length shorty headers, BBK o/r h-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers.

Chassis/suspension/brakes: Kenny Brown supersubs.

The rest is stock.
TwiLighTBluEGT is offline   Reply With Quote