MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-14-2003, 09:12 PM   #1
Jamie_DTR
Registered Member

Default More exhaust questions

Sorry for all the questions guys. Looking to add a little more power to my 1994 5.0. I am thinking about doing something with the exhaust system, but don't know what. Can anybody shed some light on the difference between systems with catalytic convertors vs. without? H-pipe vs. X-pipe? Mufflers, would like something with a little throaty sound on acceleration, but soften out at cruising speeds, if possible? Brands and models of systems, good/bad experiences, reccommendations, etc. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. I have a K & N Filter system sitting here waiting to be put on, and also had a Kenne Bell "Switch Chip" installed about 6 years ago. Chip made a big difference, but I am finally in a position where I can afford to start doing a little to improve modifications little by little.

Thanks for all the help guys,

Jamie
Jamie_DTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 07:46 AM   #2
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

you have three options:

1. Ditch the cats and go OFF ROAD H or X, this will yeild the most power gain and noise level gain. Slap on some mufflers of your choice. If they dont do emissions where you are you're good to go

2. Get a HIGH FLOW cat'd H or X, this will free up some power and bring the noise level up a bit too but should satisfy emissions laws in your area.

3. Leave your CATs there and just replace the mufflers with whatever floats your boat.

I love the sound of the pipes without the cats.. it was night and day... the cats are so restrictive you could have run without mufflers and still been quiet ... but that's me... I dont mind the sound.. some dont care for it.. that's why there's a million different mufflers to choose from.

-as
Old 04-15-2003, 09:03 AM   #3
Jamie_DTR
Registered Member

Thanks Chunk.

Is there any big difference between the X-pipe or the H-pipe? Also, what non-cat'd system would you reccommend?

Thanks,

Jamie
Old 04-15-2003, 09:20 AM   #4
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

the non cat'd systems arent much.. just a couple of pipes... I bought mine from summit... it's a piece of junk... didnt line up right, brackets were welded wrong.. etc... so for a couple extra bucks you might wanna get a name brand setup... though when it's all said and done it's just a tube of aluminized steel... you might find a set on ebay for a good price... you know it'd fit cause they were most likley mounted... unless they are rusted they dont go bad really... probably cheaper too.. .

as for H or X? I dont know what performance aspects each posses... i have an H... I'm sure they each serve a prupose... maybe someone else can help on that one
-as
Old 04-15-2003, 09:30 AM   #5
drtbiker
Registered Member

If i were you i would order through summitracing.com they offer items at great prices and the best part is you dont have to pay for shipping. All they do is charge 7.95 packaging fee. But they will match anyones prices out there.

-raini
mods: 3:73's, off road h-pipe, b303 cam in gt- 40 motor w/ Power Plus intake, edelbrock 70mm tb & egr spacer, 72mm C&L, bbk long tubes, tremec tranny, centerforce dual friction clutch, upr and lwr CA's 255lph FP and soon more to come.... when i have money again

SOME ADVICE
Don't do burn outs in reverse it is very expensive
New times with dead hook on dr's 13.27@103 with 2.0 60 foots w/100lb system

Fastest time to date: 12.8@113
drtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 09:37 AM   #6
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I guess I should clarify I bought the SUMMIT brand pipes... though summit as a company are great and if you order a new set of lets say MAC or BBK i would get them through summit..
-as
Old 04-15-2003, 12:26 PM   #7
Jamie_DTR
Registered Member

Ok, just have to clarify one thing. First off, am I correct with saying that there are sensors connected directly to the cats on my stock exhaust? Thats what it looked like to me, or are the tubes running from them like breather tubes or something? Si if I go with a non-cat'd system, and these are in fact sensors, what do you do with them?

Thanks a bunch guys. With out finding this board I would be even more lost than I am now!

Thanks again,

Jamie
Old 04-15-2003, 01:07 PM   #8
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

there are AIR tubes that run from the pipes to your AIR PUMP.. it basiclay forces air into tyour exhaust to make it seem to run cleaner and help in burning of un burned fuel..... any new pipe will come with those inlets... so that shouldnt be a problem.. I'm only talking about the fox body that I KNOW of .. but I think your car is basicaly the same engine config so I think it applies to you as well
-as
Old 04-15-2003, 01:46 PM   #9
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

X-pipes generally give a little more top-end power and a little less on the low end than H-pipes (generally a difference of only a few horsepower on a street motor). X-pipes have sort of an exotic sound, especially at high RPMS, whereas H-pipes have more of the deep 60s muscle car sound. X-pipes tend to work better with straight-through mufflers while H-pipes tend to work better with chambered mufflers.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 03:04 PM   #10
Jamie_DTR
Registered Member

Chunk,
That sounds like what I have. They look like about 1/2" ID tubs running up and under the motor. I would say I have the same set-up that you mentioned.

Blue,
Thanks for the comparison between the X-pipe and H-pipe. I think the H-pipe sounds more to my application, more low-end as I will never be much over 100 MPHfor very long.

Now, all I have to do is decided on a bran of H-Pipe system and mufflers! Any suggestions??

Thanks a million guys,

Jamie
Old 04-15-2003, 07:46 PM   #11
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

If you are gonna do exhaust, I would get the headers too. I would suggest BBK for headers, they have decent prices and are good quality. You could get a BBk H pipe also, or mac, or pace setter, there are numbers of brands. The only problem you might encounter is fitment. About name brands being better, I bought a Bassani off road X pipe, and had to cut one of the tubes and bolt it to the header collector, then slide a sleeve over the 2 halves of the pipe and weld the sleeve because I had about a 1/8" gap between the collector flange and the mating end of the x pipe on one side. I thought I was getting the best and it still had a flaw. I would just say with the pipes, go with whatever you feel like, they are basically all designed around the same parameters. As for mufflers, 5.0 magazine did a muffler shootout a few months ago and it had some numbers for sound levels (db) and power gains.

Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 06:10 AM   #12
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

Mufflers are a tough subject cause it's all upto the user .. I mean every mustang has flowmasters on em.. and I like the sound.. mine had flowmasters when I bought the car.... I dont mind it.. I took off the cats and the car is LOUD... some people like that.. others prefer quieter cars... something like dynomax might be up your alley...

as for the headers... I bought myself a set of used BBK Shorty headers and then I realised if I'm goign to take the time to do headers I might as well put in some long tubes, cause there's where you'll see the most power gain... specialy on the low end... or so they say... headers arent a HARD job.. just time consuming... so I'd rather just do em once... so I guess technicaly I have a set of BBK shorties for sale...

If you do go with headers you have to get the H pipe to match... long tubes are longer a therefore the H pipe is shorter and visa versa

-as
Old 04-16-2003, 06:40 AM   #13
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

I bought a flowtech off road h pipe from jegs (summit don't carry it) for 129.00. It fit right up to the bbk equal lengths and the flowmaster after cat. It all went smooth.

The one big downside to having longtube headers is that they have to come off when you drop the tranny.