MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-29-2003, 08:52 AM   #1
STR864
Registered Member

Default Anyone know if this is going to fit??

Is a 302 with the stock ford headers or shorties going to fit into a 65 Ford mustang?? A guy at a Mustang Shop told me that I would have to buy tri Y headers to fit the motor into my car..he said if I keep the headers or go with shorties then the motor was going to be too wide...what you guys think?
STR864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 07:11 AM   #2
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

Shorties are headers. Headers is a nickname for exhaust manifolds. I believe all 302's are the same size, so I don't see why they wouldn't fit. I'm not 100% sure, but I think they will fit just fine.
I have a late 60's timing chain cover on my 92 GT (thanks to the wonderful people at my local Ford dealership )
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:59 AM   #3
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

MOST OLD cars came with cast iron manifolds and they kinda suck as far as scavanging went.... so when you swapped those out for headers youd gain some HP by doing so.. the idea of the headers is to take each exhaust "blast" and have it travel the same distance before it meets the others and then all collect and go out. I generaly refer to headers as a set of individual TUBES coming out of the exhaust ports rather then a manifold witch is a common chamber shared by all ports.

The late model mustangs came with HEADERS from teh factory witch is nice, compare to manifolds.. they arent the best headers but they arent bad... they are SHORTY headers cause, they are SHORT... most headers are like 2-4 long I would guess and generaly run all the way to the bottom of the car and start turning back... these are just about a foot and they are UNEQUAL length, they dont do any funky bends and they all end up at the same point, so the one closest to the collector is the shortes tube. This isnt the IDEAL set up, but it's not bad. They collect in the back of the engine compartment and then the H pipe bolts up at that point.

I'm sure SHORTY headers would bolt up to you engine, but then you'd need to run your head pipes up into the engine area. To be honest, you're best bet is to dig up some LONG TUBE headers for your application. Most old cars dont call them long tubes they are the ONLY headers that exist, but these newer cars are smaller and they cram alot of stuff under the hood so you end up with the standard being teh SHORTY and the LONG TUBE being an option... I must be confusing the hell out of you... I think I'll stop now.

The TRI-Y are what were designed for those 60s mustangs, though I bet someone makes a full size header for that car. It's also possible that the stock 5.0 shorties are wider then the tri-y, I would imagine they made them that shape because there wasnt enough room to make a full length equal header..

-as