MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Poll: Nitto's vs. BFG's
Poll Options
Nitto's vs. BFG's

Old 05-08-2003, 06:38 PM   #1
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

Default Nitto's vs. BFG's

I just want everyone's opinion on what's better for max hook and tire life. I'm just trying to decide before I go out and spend my hard earned money. Also what's a good size to run, they will be going a 16"x7" rim. Right now I'm running 245/50's with no problems, how wide can I safley go?

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust

Last edited by HiFlow5 0; 05-08-2003 at 06:45 PM..
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 07:50 PM   #2
VeNuM
Registered Member

The Nitto's will hook good if you heat them up really good. The BFG's hook awesome, but will wear out very quickly. Not recommended for daily driving. Anyways, those are my thoughts, if I were to get performance tires, I'd get Nitto's, best bang for buck in my book. ~Brian

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 08:23 PM   #3
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

General consensus I always come across is this (pretty much like Venum just stated):

Nittos -- (I have these on the '79 for almost a year now) Good amount of tire life, significantly good wet traction for a drag radial. You have to do a good amount more heating/burnout to get adequate traction at the track, but will launch VERY well if done so.

BFG Drag radial -- Less effort needed than Nittos to get good traction at the track, slightly better (and a little more consistent) launches with BFGs, less tire life, bad (almost dangerous) wet traction.

So basically, look at it this way: if you want a serious drag radial (that's street legal -- redundant, but I'm making a point) that'll launch you every time, with little effort, but won't last too long (relatively speaking), get the BFGs.

But if you want a street legal tire that you can drive on the street or take to the track, with considerably good mileage, excellent wet/dry traction, but not as easy to launch on the drag strip as BFGs, but still good, get the Nittos.

I think that's a pretty accurate description of the 2 tires.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote