MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-24-2003, 09:54 PM   #1
must89
Registered Member

Default New Motor on the Way

Hey everyone,
I have an 89 2.3L LX and am getting ahold of a 302 from a 73 maverick from a friend of mine for cheap. It's coming with the complete long block including intake if I want it. What I'm wondering is if I should bore it to a 306 or stroke it to a 347? I know 347 will give me more cubes for more power right away but I think I'll be adding a s/c in the future and maybe nitrous as I expect this to be my drag car.

Right now my idea for the engine is to bore it 306, add forged internals and GT 40 heads, an E303 cam and oversized valves. Topped off with a Cobra upper/lower intake and a 70mm throttle body. The whole project is going to be over a couple years so don't be afraid to throw me some pricey suggestions if you have them. And please add some tips on what to watch as I am a newbie at building engines. Thanks.
must89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 12:35 AM   #2
glenn95gt
Registered Member

I am a strong believer of, "If you are going to do something, do it right the first time." Build a solid foundation(block) you can have a hard running 306, and a hard running 347, really depends on what you pocket will allow you to do. A popular combo right now is the 331, AFR185s, XE cam/custom cam, and a RPM intake. Or a decent set up if you are on a budget, would be your 306 idea with pistons for twisted wedge heads, a stage 2 cam, and a track heat intake. There is so much out there, it is all about how much you are willing to spend.
My Car
glenn95gt is offline   Reply With Quote