MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-20-2003, 06:17 AM   #1
393Clevor
Registered Member

Default Noise rockers Help??????

Well, after checking every thing 10 times I think I need lifters. But why would all of them make noise seems strange that 16 would be bad and not just a few or is there a better lifter than the ones that came with the cam?
XE274 cam, trick flow pushrods, comp roller tip rockers (rail type) 3/8 screw in studs, heads are 1970 302 with 1.85/1.54 SS valves, comp dual springs (recommended by comp for that cam), planed .030, ported and gasket matched, cc’ed to 55cc.

For the life of me I can’t get the rocker to quiet down. I had the heads re-done all new intake guides and 1 exhaust guide, 3-angel valve job and the springs set to spec. Still makes all kinds of noise above 2500 or so but better and 2 or 3 make noise when you first start it for about 20 seconds. Sounds like it has solids in it, very even clatter that gets louder as you increase the rpms. Oil psi is 55 cold on an idle 75 when you twist it with 5w30.
I checked the push rod length and had to run a shorter pushrod 6.750 I think. The valve to rocker geometry is right on the money. Made no difference after the heads and pushrods were re-installed. Running ½ turn preload on the lifters tried 1 turn ¼ turn nothing changed.

Tried the stock rail type rocker nothing changed.

Could the rockers be slamming the valves stems in a side-to-side motion? I looked at the rockers and they showed no signs of being slammed into the valve stem.

Guess I’ve spent enough money, looking for a simple fix.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this. Steve
Old 07-20-2003, 11:25 AM   #2
coldknock
Registered Member

Sounds like valvesprings and or dirty lifters to me. I really can't see the need for double springs on a hyd grind that mild but if that's what they spec then use 'em. Check the installed height of the springs to be sure they are within comps specs. If they aren't then the valves are floating and that's likely why you hear the noise. If the springs have been installed at the correct height then throw the lifters into the garbage and go buy new lifters from Ford. Make sure you clean them VERY WELL. What I mean is get a vacuum pump and a rubber hose with adapter large enough to slip over the lifter with a good seal. Dunk the lifters one by one in mineral spirits and start pumping until no more crap comes out of the lifter. You'll be surprised at what you see come out of them. This is the only way to be sure there is no trash in them. Manufacturers have gotten slack in quality control these days. I've gotten camshafts with fingerprints rusted into the lobes direct from the warehouses and lifters that I couldn't clean without disassembling them first.
coldknock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 10:46 PM   #3
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Default Re: Noise rockers Help??????

Quote:
Originally posted by 393Clevor
But why would all of them make noise seems strange that 16 would be bad and not just a few or is there a better lifter than the ones that came with the cam?
They wouldn't ... one chance in a million Comp would ship you 16 bad lifters ... maybe the wrong ones, but not 16 bad ones in one batch. As far as being dirty .. same thing, maybe one or two gummed up, but if their stuff was so crappy you got 16 lifters and all 16 were so dirty they wouldn't work, they would have gone out of business long ago. You have an oiling problem somewhere or a clearance problem somewhere. Are the rockers oiling? Did anything get changed AFTER you checked the geometery? Coil bind i doubt because the springs were matched for the cam by the mfg. unless they shipped the wrong springs? thats possible although not probable. Are you sure about the valve to piston clearance? Was it physically checked ? What about the retainer to valve guide clearance ? Did you turn the pushrods while you were setting preload to make SURE all the lash is coming out ??
Floating the valves at 2500 RPM with dual springs would seem near impossible to me ??
You got the cam at Comp ... call their tech line and they'll probably have some suggestions for you.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 02:55 AM   #4
PKRWUD

I'm curious as well, did you prime the oil pump until the oil came out the rockers?

I had a Chevy with press-in studs that did the same thing because the studs were coming out, but you have screw-ins. Hmmmmmm
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 06:17 AM   #5
393Clevor
Registered Member

I have been asking for help on this all over the net. Here are two places I asked about it. I hope I’m not stepping on toes here but it will save me from retyping all my answers.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/phpBB/view...311&forum=1&19

http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/F...ML/005922.html

http://www.fordmuscle.com/phpBB/view...6366&forum=1&4
Old 07-21-2003, 06:44 AM   #6
393Clevor
Registered Member

One thing I forgot to mention; when I set my preload when it’s running the motor doesn’t jump and skip when you put the preload to it. I have done this a few times and usually the motor needs some time to bleed off the oil in the lifter. When I put a full turn on these it takes it like nothing NO skipping or shacking at all.