MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-20-2003, 06:12 AM   #1
ciara
Registered Member

Question What is the best K-member to buy for quality and fit?

I am looking to buy a k-member with the tubular A arms and coil overs. What is a good kit to buy? I see the prices ranging from $650 to over a $1000. I have an 84 mustang.
ciara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 09:24 AM   #2
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Go to jegs.com and go to the mustang section under suspension and find the QA1 Motorsports Pro-Active systems. I have their K member with stock A arms and springs setup, but they also have tubular A arms and coil overs. In my opinion it's a bit cheaper, but just as good as D&D, groundpounder, or other brands.

1984 LX Hatch
306 w/ TRW forged flat toppers, Comp Cams Magnum 292H, GT40P heads w/ 3 angle valve job, .550 lift springs, Angus Racing Roller Rockers, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 4150 650cfm carb, MAC 1 5/8 Long Tubes, Single Chamber Flowmasters, 91' T5 w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, Turbo Coupe 8.8 Rear w/ 3.55 gears, QA1 Motorsports tubular K member, no interior except steering wheel and seat.
Coming soon: 6 or 8 point cage, Fuel Cell, Weld Draglites
QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 07:11 AM   #3
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

I bought my QA1 Tublar K-member from Summit. It's a good fit, and very strong. It makes it 100 times easier to work around. The only complaint I have with the QA1 is it pushes up the front wheels 1-2 inches (I'm useing the stock A arms also). If you have wide tires, this can cause rubbing. That's my biggest problem now! I can't turn my wheels lock to lock. I'm going to have to find a way to modify my front fender wells a little bit, or put my skinnier tires back on the fronts.
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 11:02 AM   #4
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Yeah, I did notice that, but I think maybe all of the K members do that. Most of them boast "revised suspension geometry" and I think that's what they're talking about, but who knows. The only other thing I noticed about it, is that my rack from my 84 doesn't have the right bushings to fit, I had to press them out and get later model bushings.

1984 LX Hatch
306 w/ TRW forged flat toppers, Comp Cams Magnum 292H, GT40P heads w/ 3 angle valve job, .550 lift springs, Angus Racing Roller Rockers, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 4150 650cfm carb, MAC 1 5/8 Long Tubes, Single Chamber Flowmasters, 91' T5 w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, Turbo Coupe 8.8 Rear w/ 3.55 gears, QA1 Motorsports tubular K member, no interior except steering wheel and seat.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:05 AM   #5
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by QuantumMotorsports
The only other thing I noticed about it, is that my rack from my 84 doesn't have the right bushings to fit, I had to press them out and get later model bushings.
What I did is kept the rubber bushings on/in the rack and pushed it on the "pegs" of the K-member. Then I bolted it down (the "pegs" are internally threaded) with a huge washer holding the rack on the K-member.
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 03:19 PM   #6
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Yeah, I hear you, but what I'm saying is that the bushings that are in the earlier (84 LX) rack are not the same as the later model bushings. I have done an 87 or later car and it is just as you describe. But the bushings on the 84 car have a metal sleeve inside the rubber bushing that is part of the bushing and is too small and the 84 bushings are pressed into the rack. So I pressed the old bushings out and got new polyurethane bushings to put in.

1984 LX Hatch