MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-26-2003, 11:32 PM   #1
drtbiker
Registered Member

Unhappy emissions oh no fincal notice and three days left

Ok guys i have come to the conclusion i am taking off the bbk long tubes, throwing on the stock headers and borrowing a stock h-pipe. But the question is this do i need to worry about the the other smog garbage or should i be able to pass. This is what i have in mind, throwing the cats and stock headers on, backing down on the fuel pressure, but do i need to worry about the air passage tube from on head to another or the other little hoses and etc, i am going to run the smog pump so i dont mess up the cats, but do i really need to hook up the rest of the junk.

thanks for your time

-raini
sorry about the length
mods: 3:73's, off road h-pipe, b303 cam in gt- 40 motor w/ Power Plus intake, edelbrock 70mm tb & egr spacer, 72mm C&L, bbk long tubes, tremec tranny, centerforce dual friction clutch, upr and lwr CA's 255lph FP and soon more to come.... when i have money again

SOME ADVICE
Don't do burn outs in reverse it is very expensive
New times with dead hook on dr's 13.27@103 with 2.0 60 foots w/100lb system

Fastest time to date: 12.8@113
drtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 06:12 AM   #2
Mustang_289
Registered Member

We passed emissions on our 88GT in our state with MAC longtube headers, and complete exhaust system. In our state the inspectors look anything missing hoses etc.
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 10:44 AM   #3
PKRWUD

Illinois is in the process of becoming the most difficult state in the nation in which to pass smog. They already have a program underway in which they "talk to your ECM" to get a history on your vehicle, and find out if you've made any mods in the past, but that only applies to about half of the newer vehicles. I don't know the specifics for your year, or your area, but I would go in expecting the worst. Either way, set your timing at 10 degrees, reduce your fuel pressure, change your oil, and get the whole driveline as hot as you can just prior to the test.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 11:28 PM   #4
drtbiker
Registered Member

yeah i know chris it is krazy here i dont understand what the heck their trying to pull off, i am about ready to buy a po box about 100miles south or so, then i dont have to worry about the emissions. I think the state of illionis is trying to pull somthing off with the car dealerships or somthing or atleast i think so. They make it so you almost have to buy a new car every year. Yeah now 96 and up cars the run ecm tests to see if the car is throwing any codes or did in the past or to see if it is running rich and all this bs. I couldnt believe when they failed my dads 3 cylinder geo metro by the ecm test. My dad then told them to throw it on the machine to check the smog and it passed. I dont see how they feel that they can make the world cleaner by almost forcing everyone to buy new cars. Look at all these scraped cars there are going to be.... oh well i am rambling i sure hope i can pass. I am thinking 10degrees of timing and 28lbs of fuel pressure and i should be able to pass. If my car nlows up in their hands it is not my fault. I need to rebuild the rear end i am almost tempted to pull the plug on the diff cover so it locks up on the machine..... knowing my state they would take no responsibilty

later guys wish me luck, im just going to close my eyes and hope for the best
mods: 3:73's, off road h-pipe, b303 cam in gt- 40 motor w/ Power Plus intake, edelbrock 70mm tb & egr spacer, 72mm C&L, bbk long tubes, tremec tranny, centerforce dual friction clutch, upr and lwr CA's 255lph FP and soon more to come.... when i have money again

SOME ADVICE

Old 07-28-2003, 03:30 AM   #5
PKRWUD

Don't forget to drive around for 30 minutes beforehand, getting the driveline as hot as possible! i'd also change the oil. Your oil almost certainly has fuel in it, which means that the small amount of oil that normally burns will richen up your exhaust readings.

BTW, I don't agree with this, but their logic is as follows:

When you go in for a smog test, they are only getting a tiny fraction of a glimpse into what kind of emissions your vehicle normally puts out, but when they access the ECM, they can get a history. The newer vehicles also have several event recorders, that monitor your vehicle from day one, and with this new system, they can check and see if you at one point made illegal modifications, and fine or fail you for them, depending on what the history tells them. In other words, the idea of swapping in smog legal parts just for the test, and then swapping them back out again after the test, will not work much longer, at least with the newer vehicles.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 07-28-2003, 09:28 AM   #6
drtbiker
Registered Member

that brings up another topic then chris, is there any way around this with newer cars? Is there a way to erase the ecm memory? I sure hope this passes. My cars rearend is so messed up.

SOME ADVICE

Old 07-28-2003, 09:43 AM   #7
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by drtbiker
that brings up another topic then chris, is there any way around this with newer cars? Is there a way to erase the ecm memory?
Not that I'm aware of, but give it time.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 07-28-2003, 12:37 PM   #8
BilLster
Registered Member

buy a second computer and swap it out right after you buy it ?

but then maybe they will monitor that , then guy's will have to buy
illegal aftermarket ecm's and swap the ecm with all the other parts.

I'm glad i dont live there.

when I lived in BC they could fail you for torn car seat's and if that was the reason you couldnt just buy seat covers to cover the rips.
you had to get new seats. the reasoning was torn seats were a safety hazzard. also you had to retain the stock seatbelts when you had a harness because tampering with seat belts was a fail.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:20 PM   #9
drtbiker
Registered Member

yeah how it is getting in il is soon it is going to be a chore to drive. I am suprised they dont messure bumper height but who knows maybe they do. They failed my buddy because of the gas cap. I mean comeon i dont think that is effecting the air. I thought the emissions was all about the air. I hope they dont say anything about me ditching the 5mph bumper or the small oil leak

SOME ADVICE

Old 07-28-2003, 09:45 PM   #10
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Time to move.

Next thing they will be checking is YOUR exhaust , while your crapping.
mustangII460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 11:22 PM   #11
ac97gt
Registered Member

ill get a good chuckle when the magazines advertise "stock ecm 96-06 mustang with clean record" lol. swap it in before the test, boom looks like you've been a good boy this year.

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
K&N and Air Intake Silencer Removed
More to come with money!

My Ride
ac97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 09:16 AM   #12
drtbiker
Registered Member

lol yeah that is what i think is going to happen and that is what i had in plan i was thinking of buying a 96+ car so i could mod it and not worry about it, but i wonder how smart the ecm really is. I would hate to see all these import guys around here get locked up they are all running boost and i am sure the ecm is going to say somthing about that....

SOME ADVICE

Old 07-29-2003, 11:32 PM   #13
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

drtbiker - Not that I would advise doing anything illegal , but couldn't you find a buddy with a smog station or a smog tech that could really use an extra C-note?

I've had long tubes since '94. All I'm going to say is that I'm thankful I know people in the auto repair industry.

Chris - How've you been. I see you sometimes on SVTperformance.com

I saw a post that said the new cars don't need to go to a smog station for something like 6 years.

I'd think that disconnecting the battery and leaving the headlight switch in the on position would delete all the codes. It seems to work on the new Lightnings and Cobras.

'91 LX - 331 w/ Procharger
'03 Cobra Convertible - Pullied
'94 Lightning
'65 Mustang Coupe
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 12:56 AM   #14
drtbiker
Registered Member

well here in il you have to fail 3 times then have proof that u spent over 400 dollars in emissions junk... it isnt really worth it, il is getting really strict. New cars they check every 3 mine they check every year

SOME ADVICE

Old 07-30-2003, 06:58 AM   #15
PKRWUD

It's actually more than the ECM they get their data from. New cars for several years now also have a series of "black boxes" in them, that can give up all kinds of data when accessed by the right person.

NO SLO-

Hey man, I'm usually over at Rice Haters. i stop in here a couple times a week to help out with tech. You should stop by and say hi sometime!

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 07-30-2003, 10:12 AM   #16
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

Unhappy WTF?

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD
New cars for several years now also have a series of "black boxes" in them, that can give up all kinds of data when accessed by the right person.
WOW. That tidbit of info. should disturb anyone...it certainly disturbs me. That's a little too much "big brother".

'91 LX - 331 w/ Procharger
'03 Cobra Convertible - Pullied
'94 Lightning
'65 Mustang Coupe
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 10:54 AM   #17
drtbiker
Registered Member

but you have to remeber for everything they make there will be a way around it in a couple of months, well wish me luck guys off to the emissions station, ill tell u what happens

SOME ADVICE

Old 07-30-2003, 04:11 PM   #18
drtbiker
Registered Member

well guys, i took it to the emissions and guess what, i was waiting to get in there and the darn car over heats, my car has never over heated, so i fail in my own terms of getting it in there. So they wont let me take the test. So i go home, fill it up with water let it cool off and back to the station I go, well I finally got it on the machine. Then I started to see a little smoke and it was over heating well the guy had it on the machine he looked at me and pointed to the ground and he shouted antifreeze i gave him the thumbs up and told him to finish the test. Well i passed:

hydrocarbons standard: .621
reading: .472 w/25lbs of fuel.

Carbon Monoxide stanard: 6.199
reading: 6.037

looks like the cats were working decent

-Raini

I think the cats and the stock headers are making it over heat

SOME ADVICE

Old 07-31-2003, 07:08 AM   #19
PKRWUD

Default Re: WTF?

Quote:
Originally posted by NO SLO PK
WOW. That tidbit of info. should disturb anyone...it certainly disturbs me. That's a little too much "big brother".

This article from a year ago talks about the abilities to assist with crash data, but the same technology is being used to gather and record emissions data as well.

And this is already available for parents to have installed in their kids cars.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 07-31-2003, 08:46 PM   #20
drtbiker
Registered Member

that sucks

SOME ADVICE