MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-30-2003, 02:40 PM   #1
306bullet
Registered Member

Question Need a little advice, please

I just got my new combo running. It's a DSS 306 short block w/AFR 185's, 10.5:1 compression, Anderson N-41 cam etc. The motor has been running hot since I installed it. I am running the stock radiator w/180 stat. The temp holds steady for a while and then slowly starts climbing. It makes no difference if I am in town or on the highway, so I don't think it is an airflow problem. My question is this, do you think that the stock radiator is just to small? I really would like to get this problem solved.........any help would be great!

Thanks Brent

306bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 10:52 PM   #2
TMASTER
Registered Member

1. What kind of Fan are you running?
2. How old is the radiator?
3. How "hot" is it running?
4. I would defenetly put a 160 degree thermostat in, instead of the 180.
TMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 02:22 AM   #3
Bad89stang
Registered Member

I would do the opposite and put a factory Ford thermostat back in there. If it does not work for you then you have other issues besides the Tstat.
Bad89stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 05:12 AM   #4
306bullet
Registered Member

1. Factory clutch fan
2. Original Radiator.........w/ 50k mile (the tubes which are visible through the filler neck, are clean)
3. It will continually climb, as long as I run the car (even though it is very slow to climb)
4. After my original post, I installed a 160. Not much of a difference, if any?

If my car is running hot, why would I put a warmer t-stat in? I can tell that the stat is opening. It opens right around the 160-170 degree mark on my gauge (seems to be more accurate than some that I have run in previous cars).

I have heard people talk about sizing a radiator "by horsepower" before. I don't know if this is true or not? It just seems as if the car wants to stay cool, but evenutally the radiator just can't keep up?

P.S. The car itself only has 50k miles on it. It is ultra clean, as was the drivetrain. The fan and radiator all look to be in good working order, otherwise I would have replaced them.

Brent
Old 07-31-2003, 01:21 PM   #5
stangsrule
Registered Member

Brent, just for your info Advance has the best price on Modine upgrade radiators, and you may want to consider a highflow pump also. I have and like the Stewart unit, they are cheaper than the Edelbrock's and are supposed to out flow them. If you really want to go all out look into Evans Cooling System. Really trick stuff but not cheap. Let me know how it goes and feel free to call if I can be of any help.
92GT Lowered with Ebiach's and Koni's, Kenny Brown subframe connectors, lower G-brace and jacking rails. BBK upper and lower control arms, polyurethane bushings all around and Ken Bell blower, ram-air, 80mm mass air, SMC Alky Injection kit, J&S Knock Gaurd, TwEECer RT and a bunch of other stuff!
stangsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 03:18 PM   #6
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 306bullet

If my car is running hot, why would I put a warmer t-stat in?
So that the coolant will have more time to be cooled proplerly in the radiator. This subject has been covered hundreds of times. A cooler thermostat is not answer to your problem. My car runs right at 170 with the Ford thermostat in there.

After your last post, it sounds like your fan clutch might have crapped out on you. Look around the shaft of the fan for any oil like substance that has been sprayed out of it. If you see any then it is probably shot. It could still be bad without it, but that is a common symptom.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:23 PM   #7
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Get an aluminum radiator and be done with it.

doesnt get any easier than that.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 03:26 PM   #8
Bad89stang
Registered Member

unless his clutch is bad

Yes, aluminum radiators are awesome. I got the Griffin 27x19 inch one from Summit for $180. There are plenty of other good ones out there though.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:14 PM   #9
306bullet
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice Mark. I might look into the Evans. If nothing else, maybe I will learn a little about it.

Thanks to everyone else, also. I think I am going to buy the Griffin from Summit. I've heard nothing but good things about it. I'll see what happens when I replace it.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:24 AM   #10
stangsrule
Registered Member

Sure anytime! You hang out at BK at all? I have to go over there one of these days... Keep me informed.
92GT Lowered with Ebiach's and Koni's, Kenny Brown subframe connectors, lower G-brace and jacking rails. BBK upper and lower control arms, polyurethane bushings all around and Ken Bell blower, ram-air, 80mm mass air, SMC Alky Injection kit, J&S Knock Gaurd, TwEECer RT and a bunch of other stuff!
stangsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 08:06 AM   #11
306bullet
Registered Member

Yeah Mark, I'm up there quite a bit. You need to come up. I still have never ridden in yours. We usually get a real nice crowd up there. I may not make it this weekend, the weather looks like it could be wet.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:37 AM   #12
TMASTER
Registered Member

get a new radiator... my car runs at 200 degrees in 95 degree weather, and the AC on..... Also if your running pulleys, they slow the waterpump down. I have a stock new radiator.

Copper disipates heat better at lower flows and aluminum disipates heat faster at higher flows. If i was to get another radiator I would go with a 4 core copper one. But either kind will do the job better than what you have.
TMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 08:17 PM   #13
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Quote:
Originally posted by Bad89stang
So that the coolant will have more time to be cooled proplerly in the radiator. This subject has been covered hundreds of times.
Probably more like 1000's but these guys have a different take on it and they are one of the best in the business, and they have been doing it a long long time. take a tour with the link ... its kind of a technical read but very imformative. Look closely at tech tip #3
http://www.stewartcomponents.com/html/tech_support/
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 10:30 PM   #14
Screaming_302
Registered Member

You Need to check you clutch fan i had the very same problem in my s-10 and i could not figure out what it was until i put a knew clutch fan on and the problem went away let me know how it goes and good luck