MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-15-2003, 08:39 PM   #1
Rich12345
Registered Member

Unhappy Possible Hall Effect sensor problem?

My 1995 GT either stalls while I'm driving or just refuses to start sometimes. I can be driving it for a few days without a problem then get in, turn the key and it cranks but doesn't start. I have noticed that if the Check Engine light goes out after I start cranking the engine, it will start. If this light stays on, the car doesn't start. The engine sounds like its about to turn over but doesn't catch. This happens regardless of any changes in the weather. The car has 112k miles on it. The Ignition Control Module (TFI) has been tested multiple times and has passed every time. A while ago the PCM had a 211 fault code in it (PIP circuit fault), which leads me to believe that it is more than likely an ignition problem (p.s. Will an Ignition Coil failure cause a trouble code to be stored?). Anyone have any suggestions? Could this possibly be a problem with the Hall Effect device in the distributor (pickup coil)? Thanks in advance...
--Rich--
Rich12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 09:08 PM   #2
billheis
Registered Member

It does sound like a pickup in the dist. One thing to think about, with that many miles the dist. bushing s and shaft are probably worn so just replacing the pickup won't cure the problem. MSD makes a great replacement although it is pricey. And no the ign. coil won't set a code.
90 Convertable 5.0 LX, ported E7s w/ THumper valve job, TFS street, FR 65mm TB, B cam w/1.7 cobra rockers, kirban AFPR, Mac CAI, Mac Headers, off road h, 3 chamber flows, Crane ign. box, 3:73s, Art Carr AOD & 2600 converter
billheis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 09:40 PM   #3
canukracer
Registered Member

i got fooled last week, the car had a no start, v6 ford had fuel and a weak spark i just used a screwdriver to check the spark against the block, changed the moduel no luck same thing ! got my spark tester out( u can buy one at any parts store,) tryed that no spark! changed coil varoom! just a weak spark from a tyred coil/pickup coils will also get soft and mushy and or poor connection where the moduel pushs in. u could do a ohm meter check on the pickup coil, but it's nice to have a good one with you to compare it too.
canukracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 10:42 PM   #4
erl2589
Registered Member

I had a problem a few weeks ago, car just shut down as I'm driving down the road. Trying to get it started again all I could get was low RPM sputtering, popping and such if I tried to give it a little gas. Then a half hour later it starts up and runs like nothing happened. After the second time I changed the fuel pump. It's Ok since, knock on wood.

Good Luck...