MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-15-2003, 08:23 PM   #1
gtnby2
Registered Member

Default Clutch cable keeps breaking

I converted my '91 to 5 speed and I keep breaking cables. Has anyone else had this problem? The cables work great for about a week or two and then they slowly get harder and harder to push. I have noticed that when it gets hot out it gets a little easier to push but if the car cools off (and the cable) it gets stiff again. I have had several people try to drive my car to see if the problem was me but they about flip when they try to push in the clutch!!Could it be something to do with the routing of the cable( I looked at factory 5 speeds and did the same) or is it possible I got 4 BAD clutch cables from TWO different sources? I tried taking off the firewall adj. thinking it was binding the cable but it didn't help. The clutch is a Ram HD.....maybe IT is the problem???!!
Any feedback wouldbe great. I have another Question about the Steering rag joint so look it up if you can help with that too.
THANKS,
Brad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9.24@79.9.jpg (300.7 KB, 14 views)
gtnby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 09:19 PM   #2
billheis
Registered Member

My previous ride to this one was a 82 Capri 5.0 and put the Steeda setup, adj. cable, firewall adj.ect. and never had a problem. Sold the car three years ago and the clutch is still working great. Sounds like something is not lined up right. Either from the pedal or possibly down at the throwout fork. Disconnect the cable down at the fork and have someone hold on the cable then depress the pedal by hand and see if its still tight. Some of the blocks that replace the adjuster on the pedal are thiner than the original and you have to put a washer on one side to make sure it doesn't move side to side.
90 Convertable 5.0 LX, ported E7s w/ THumper valve job, TFS street, FR 65mm TB, B cam w/1.7 cobra rockers, kirban AFPR, Mac CAI, Mac Headers, off road h, 3 chamber flows, Crane ign. box, 3:73s, Art Carr AOD & 2600 converter
billheis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 10:26 PM   #3
richd
Registered Member

I had that happen. Last August as part of my transmission rebuild I added a steel bearing retainer. It turns out that the stock retainer is aluminum and wears very easily. Your throwout bearing is probably getting a lot of resistance from the retainer causing excessive stress on the cable.

I've had the current cable in for over a year with no problems.

The part is $40 but you have to remove the transmission to change it. I've heard lubing the new retainer with anti-sieze compound gives the best results.

I'd recommend changing clutch, throwout bearing, retainer and clutch fork at the same time. You'll kick yourself if you don't and something else goes out a short time later.

Unless you do it a lot tranny removal and install is very time consuming.

Good luck,

Rich D.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 08:15 AM   #4
gtnby2
Registered Member

Default Throw out bearing

Thanks, Rich!!
I have the new steel throwout bearing retainer installed already(I did it when I put in the new WC T5) but it has been a year or so. I didn't think about it possibly sticking or hanging up on the retainer. Tranny pulls are my speciality.... I'VE CHANGED 8 AUTO'S AND ONE T5 IN THIS DAMN THING er I mean my baby!!! Anyway thanks and I'll look at it today and see if it's getting a little sticky.
Later,
Brad
gtnby2 is offline   Reply With Quote