MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-28-2003, 03:31 PM   #1
raptor
Registered Member

Default T-5 to AOD or AODE

Hey people, My T-5 is trashed. I'm thinking of going Auto, just b/c they are consistant and easier to find. I have an 88. I want to know should I use a AOD or AODE and what mods go along with it? And how to tell the difference between the two.
Thanks
88GT, 331Stroker,FMS 70mm TB,77mm Pro-M mass air,Ram Air,K&N,GT40/Exployer Intakes,Gasket Matched,FMS 24lb injectors,Crane hi-6 ignition system,B303 cam,Crane 1.6RR,FMS underdrive pullies,351W/heads,port/polish,FMS h/f oil pump,Hedman headers,2 1/2in H pipe Flow Masters,190lph Holley fuel pump,Center Force dual friction,FMS 3.55,Hurst short throw/ trigger T handle,Subframe connectors,Welded torque boxes.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 04:42 PM   #2
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Man, stick with the stick!! Trust me, they're much more fun to drive and AOD's are crap. but to answer your ? AOD would be easier to setup than AODE, don't know how to tell between them.

1984 LX Hatch
306 w/ TRW forged flat toppers, Comp Cams Magnum 292H, GT40P heads w/ 3 angle valve job, .550 lift springs, Angus Racing Roller Rockers, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 4150 650cfm carb, MAC 1 5/8 Long Tubes, Single Chamber Flowmasters, 91' T5 w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, Turbo Coupe 8.8 Rear w/ 3.55 gears, QA1 Motorsports tubular K member, no interior except steering wheel and seat.
Coming soon: 6 or 8 point cage, Fuel Cell, Weld Draglites
QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 08:41 PM   #3
raptor
Registered Member

Dude I know what you mean! I love driven stick. Nothin better than dropen a gear or two and punchin it! But they are hard to find and when you do there lots of coin. So I want to check out what I need to do. So my qusetion is:
To go from stick to AOD I have to do what other mods?
88GT, 331Stroker,FMS 70mm TB,77mm Pro-M mass air,Ram Air,K&N,GT40/Exployer Intakes,Gasket Matched,FMS 24lb injectors,Crane hi-6 ignition system,B303 cam,Crane 1.6RR,FMS underdrive pullies,351W/heads,port/polish,FMS h/f oil pump,Hedman headers,2 1/2in H pipe Flow Masters,190lph Holley fuel pump,Center Force dual friction,FMS 3.55,Hurst short throw/ trigger T handle,Subframe connectors,Welded torque boxes.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 12:41 AM   #4
stang_racer20
Registered Member

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is your gonna need a flexplate versus the flywheel and your computer will need a tuning. Go with the AOD, its a great auto trans. And if you build it up yourself let me know, cause I know a couple of secrets not many other people know about the AOD for a long lasting tranny!
92 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker(Forged Steel Crank/Rods-Balanced, Forged Aluminum Dished Pistons), Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads w/ Stage 3 port/polish, 80mm C&L MAF, FMS 30# Inj., BBK AFPR, Trick Flow Stage 2 Cam, Trick Flow 1.6R Rockers, BBK E.L. Headers, Flowmaster Cat-Back, MAC CAI, FMS Pulleys, Griffin Alum. Radiator, MSD Pro-Billet Distributor; AOD, Dynamic 3300 Lockup Converter, B & M Super Cooler, B&M Ratchet Shifter; 3:73 gears.
stang_racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 02:37 AM   #5
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default AOD vs AODE

I think the AODE is a bigger transmission in physical size and heavier. I would pick the AOD over the AODE not only due to the fact the AODE is heavier, but because it would be easier to get the AOD to hook up to ur car. There is an after market brain box for the AODE to go into older cars, but I think it gets pricey.

I should say this, the AODE is suppose to be a better transmission in terms of durability....but there are so many good aftermarket compamies dealing with the AOD, you can get it built real nice relatively cheap.

Just built the current one in my car this year (my self), with lots of help. First, any componets you may bned to put it in ur car, u should be able to find at www.windsorfox.com. The T.V. cable is a must and is well worth the money in ease of installation... this alone not adjusted properly can fry the tranny.

this can get a little pricey, but a good torque convertor is really needed....cause you are going to loose some of your launch off the line when u get rid of the 5 speed. A good shift kit like (bauman enterpirses) is great too.

If you are really worried about durability, a valve body from lentech claims to reroute the oil passages, thus strengthening the tranny.

Unfortunately, to have a good AOD is probably going to cost more than the stick....unless you have a buddy who is good at rebuilding autos. If you choose this route, the parts in my signature are excellent.....I only recommend them cause I tried just about everything else before I came to this combo of transmission parts.
hope this helps,
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote