MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-09-2003, 06:55 AM   #21
andy669
Registered Member

Default Re: Re: crush sleeve??

Quote:
Originally posted by stang_racer20
the crush sleeve goes between the pinion nut and the pinion gear. check the pic out
Thats pretty much right. It goes in between the front bearing and a step that is machined in to the gear. When tightened correctly, the crush sleeve can give you proper preload, and torque on the pinion nut.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 03:32 PM   #22
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

No offense to you bud, but if the words wear pattern and backlash don't meen much to you i would let a shop swap your gears. It is a pretty exact trial and requires special tools also like a dial indicator. And it is also a PITA if you are trying to do it lying on your bcak under a car on stands. If you do decide to go ahead anyway you might as well rebuild your t-lock while you are at it. A rebuild kit can be had for $30 and it comes with some extra shims to use in on the carrier when you are putting the 3rd mamber back together. Good luck. Don't hesitatem to ask how to check wear pattern of back lash if you need to. There is a apecific number to try and achieve with the lasha nd shims a variety of shims will be your best friends. Light Em Up!!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 03:55 PM   #23
Beanhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NoSlow5.0
No offense to you bud, but if the words wear pattern and backlash don't meen much to you i would let a shop swap your gears. It is a pretty exact trial and requires special tools also like a dial indicator. And it is also a PITA if you are trying to do it lying on your bcak under a car on stands. If you do decide to go ahead anyway you might as well rebuild your t-lock while you are at it. A rebuild kit can be had for $30 and it comes with some extra shims to use in on the carrier when you are putting the 3rd mamber back together. Good luck. Don't hesitatem to ask how to check wear pattern of back lash if you need to. There is a apecific number to try and achieve with the lasha nd shims a variety of shims will be your best friends. Light Em Up!!!
After reading this thread, I've decided that I'm not going to mess with it. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. If it was just simple "pop-the-gears-out-than-in" I'd do it, but too much to risk and investment involved at this point.

Maybe I'll give it a shot over the winter when she's put away for a few months, but I just wanna drive my 5.0!

Thank you for the comments!