MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-10-2003, 05:50 PM   #1
kvanderstel
Registered Member

Default My baby is gone

Well, it finally happened my 18 year old wrecked my 86 5.0 convertible.

The adjuster just called and told me it's totaled.

If I were to buy it back as a salvage does anyone think I'd have a problem parting it out and making a few bucks? I don't know what that price would be so, I'm kind of shooting in the dark right about now.

I've installed headers, holley intake, summit clutch linkage, bbk cat back, black magic electric fan etc..

I'm in southern CA just outside San Diego..... Anyone?
kvanderstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 05:55 PM   #2
BaLListic
Registered Member

Default o man!

i hate it for you... im 19 and i bought my own 5.0 when i was 18... so i know how a 18 y/o driving a 5.0 can be... Anyway i would be interested in some parts though im kinda far away.....
BaLListic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 10:28 PM   #3
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

sh*t happens........dont let him touch the duster
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 09:21 AM   #4
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

Is your son ok? Get a grip.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:36 PM   #5
kvanderstel
Registered Member

Yeah, he's fine. Actually he feels pretty bad, says he's gona slow down from now on.

Do you guys think I'd have good luck parting it out?
Old 12-11-2003, 12:57 PM   #6
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

Well, you might not sell everything all at once, but people will probably take quite a few parts off of your hands. Is it worth the hassle to you with shipping and gutting the car out? Do you have somewhere to keep the junked car while you part it out?

I'm sure you will get some money out of those parts, but think about what you will do with the parts you can't sell off. Will the adjustor let you put back the old carb/headers/fan and other stuff like that back on before it's taken away?
Old 12-11-2003, 03:41 PM   #7
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

is the front bumper cover still good? 85-86 parts are getting hard to find beause many parts are not made anymore., and people are starting to restore them. All depends how much he will let you buy it back for and what parts are still good. For example i have seen the front gt bumper cover go from $350 to $650 alone.
Look on ebay and you can get an Idea what the parts sell for. But it is a good one to part out.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 04:12 PM   #8
kvanderstel
Registered Member

No the whole front fascia is a goner, that's where it took the hit, right into the back an F-150.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:15 PM   #9
stang4to8
Registered Member

IMO, this is a great time to do a 4 cyl to 5.0 conversion. find a 86 4 cyl LX & swap all the stuff into it.seeing as your son wrecked your car he can help. this would be a great father son project & if i ever get the opportunity to do this w/ my son i will. i have already done a 4 cyl conversion & its not that hard. pretty straight forward. you can pick up an 86 LX for 1000.00 & under.
seriously consider this.go w/ a notch back body this time!
this is my conversion car-http://members.cardoamin.com/Jaleen]http://members.cardomain.com/Jaleen[/URL]
Saleen/SVO 5 lug disc brakes
Saleen 5 lug mesh wheels
stang4to8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 06:51 PM   #10
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Default Re: My baby is gone

Quote:
Originally posted by kvanderstel
Well, it finally happened my 18 year old wrecked my 86 5.0 convertible.
Make him deal with it as much as you possibly can, it's a big hassle all the phone calls and paperwork and making decisions about what to do ... make him deal with the BS, other wise he will quickly get over feeling bad, and go out and let it happen again. I see that happen all the time. He has to feel the pain!
As for keeping the salvage, if you have a place to keep it, (not out front cause they will tow it away!) it would probably be a good idea for you to keep it. The salvage you'll have to pay on an 86 Mustang should be very small.
Unless you had all the Hi Po parts listed on your policy then you aren't going to get anywhere near the value you should in the settlement. Tell the adjuster you have some aftermarket parts on the car that you know you won't be compensated for, and you'd like to retain the salvage so you can try and part the car out. Unless he/she is an ***** they should work with you a little (be polite!). You should be able to get more for your Hi Po parts alone than you'll likely have to pay for salvage on that car.
Under Construction: 64 Falcon 372 cu in. stroker 1:72 rod ratio 6.250" rods (long rod), Comp Cams XE274 230/236 520/526 @ .050, Scorpion Rollers, Roush 200 irons, 10:1 Keith Blacks, Hedman long tubes, 750 Holley DP, Edelbrock Victor Jr., C4 3500 stall, gears and tires to be anounced.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote