MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-25-2003, 07:26 PM   #1
RoushRacing6N17
Registered Member

Default Burning Oil

was reving my 302 playing with my new mufflers today and I tached it up real good to about 5 grand and I noticed a little smoke coming out of the exhaust. I probaly shouldn't have hit it that hard but i did anyway. Is this a normal thing for the 15 year old motor? What do I need to look at or replace to get it to not burn any oil? i know this is a stupid post but I really don't know that much about cars, I'm still trying to learn. thanks for any info.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:59 AM   #2
stang_racer20
Registered Member

Are you sure it was oil first? What color was it? If it was burnt oil it will be bluish. There are 2 reasons an engine can burn oil: Worn or frozen piston rings or worn/damaged valve guides. Sorry to say that means a farely expensive repair if you pay to get it done(especially if its the rings). But while your in there, why not beef it up a little. How bad is it?
92 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker(Forged Steel Crank/Rods-Balanced, Forged Aluminum Dished Pistons), Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads w/ Stage 3 port/polish, 80mm C&L MAF, FMS 30# Inj., BBK AFPR, Trick Flow Stage 2 Cam, Trick Flow 1.6R Rockers, BBK E.L. Headers, Flowmaster Cat-Back, MAC CAI, FMS Pulleys, Griffin Alum. Radiator, MSD Pro-Billet Distributor; AOD, Dynamic 3300 Lockup Converter, B & M Super Cooler, B&M Ratchet Shifter; 3:73 gears.
stang_racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 01:02 AM   #3
RoushRacing6N17
Registered Member

its only when i tach the motor really hard and its not really enough to tell the color, but it looked whiteish
Old 12-26-2003, 08:13 PM   #4
White GT
Registered Member

White is supposed to be Cooling fluid. But if it doesn't smell and if it stop after a little ride. Maybe it's just water in exhaust. My 88 Gt do this sometime and cooling fluid never lost a drop. This is why i thing it can only be water in mufflers.

My GT

My Web Page

On Car domain
White GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 08:39 PM   #5
420nitro
Registered Member

I agree,....its most likely steam according to your discripition.
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 04:13 PM   #6
USMC302
Registered Member

If it's not coming out at idle and all RPM's then your fine, if it is, it's most likely a head gasket, which there is a tester out there to use so you don't have to go down to the local mechanic and get ripped.
I finally saw a video of my 12.20 pass and when I hit 2nd a small small amount of white smoke shot out shifting at 5600, my car ran strong, no leaks and when I pulled the motor out recently everything was still perfect. Ok, well the valve train was a little loose but other than that nothing out of place, no extra wear.
If you are adding oil every so many miles then yeah, maybe valve guides, had that happen to me on mustang #6. Summit rebuild kits are cheap and you can replace everything to the piston rings.